SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#173246 - 10/06/05 07:42 PM Can This Be Done?
casiobot Offline

Is there any possible way to sync two WK's together so you would have a 12 track sequencer? Any way at all?

Thanks!

#173247 - 10/07/05 05:28 AM Re: Can This Be Done?
VoiceOfSpace Offline

It sounds like you are using some keyboard with a 6 channel sequencer and want to dual connect in order to get 12 channels in sync. You can do this by connecting two MIDI cables between the keyboards and setup the play send and receive in the keyboards for sync. When one wk's sequencer starts it sends a play MIDI sysex command to the other workstation and the both are perfectly in sync. Of cource in a bigger context where you want to sync all your MIDI devices' sequencers you use a MIDI interface with as much ports as you need. I have an 8 port interface that I think is enough for connecting all my keyboards... If you prefer working with the UI of a computer sequencer you use that as the sequencer instead and skip the wa seqs and sync issues. Some prefer working with the workstations, some prefer working with the computer. I recommend a MIDI interface and a DAW.

#173248 - 10/07/05 06:34 AM Re: Can This Be Done?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
This would work, but think about "cost" here. Two WK-3000/3200's would cost you $600.00, and two WK-3500/3700's would run you $800.00 Of course you can mix and match with one of each and spend $700.00 When you look at it's not really worth the money to do this. If you're going to spend upwards of $700-$800 you may as well save a few bucks more and get a Korg PA-50 or Yamaha PSR-1500. Hell for that price you could get a nice used PSR-2000 or 2100.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#173249 - 10/07/05 09:57 AM Re: Can This Be Done?
casiobot Offline

...Or one could already be in possession of a WK,squeak,in which case I need only spend $300 on a 3200,which is what I'm planning to do anyways.
As for the other keyboards you mentioned,they would mostly be fine and well if it weren't for the fact that they are all sorely lacking in certain voices,most notably orchestral.And until they wake up and start using technology the way it *needs* to be used,I'm not there.I mean,why does Yammies brass sound like it's stuck in the '80s?If you're going to have good sounding pianos and strings and even a swish knocker,for petes sake,why can't the manufacturers go just a little further and pour on some extra sample spism for the lacking voices??I'm not "champagne and caviar"-I'm "meat and potatoes".I'm exceedingly basic(but not simplistic)and that is what keeps my workflow flowing.

#173250 - 10/07/05 10:19 AM Re: Can This Be Done?
squeak_D Offline

How about this idea. You can save money this way. Don't buy another WK. Just purchase an inexpensive midi sequencing program like Cakewalk Express (that's what I'm using). Instead of 12 tracks (with no ability to loop, copy, paste, ect. you'll have 16 tracks with all those options. Cakewalk express makes the WK's seem like a whole new keyboard when it comes to recording too.

Here's another thing to consider. Generally you'll use GM sounds and so forth which aren't always the best. However there are instrument definitions available for the WK's that open up the ENTIRE voice set for midi recording. Meaning you can use custom created voices, tone with wave, drum with wave, drawbars, user drawbars, ect. Plus you can do some great drum work using Cakewalk because you can do loop and overdub recording (something that neither one or two WK's can do).

I honestly think that something like that is much more practical than buying another WK and connecting the two just to get 12 tracks. You can get 16 tracks with WAY more options for less.

I used shrug at the idea of using software. I was strictly a hardware person, but after getting Cakewalk I couldn't believe what I was missing on my WK-3500. Plus it's sooooo easy to use. There's also some really neat features in Cakewalk. One cool one is you play and record say a piano composition. Click a button and WHAM! There's the sheet music for that song right in front of you
I just don't want to see someone spend that amount of money for what you're wanting, when it can be done for less.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 10-07-2005).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#173251 - 10/07/05 11:06 AM Re: Can This Be Done?
casiobot Offline

First of all voice,I forgot my manners-thanks for the advice!I had a feeling it could be done because a friend of mine used to chain 2 Alesis MMT-8's together for a 16 trk rig and that was back in the 80's.I just needed to re-confirm what was possible.

Squeak,as of May of this year,I have been banging the same 'ol Casio WK1350 for the last 5 years.Not that I'm complaining,I just need a change of sonic scenery and the WK 3200 is probably "it".

I'm not sure what you mean by "instrument definitions" but I've always been able to use *any* voice on the 1350 when I've sequenced.True some GM voices are lacking,especially when you consider that those same GM voices are available on higher priced keyboards,which I think is a total ripoff,considering where we're supposed to be with "todays technology".

I *want* to buy the 3200,because the soundset is the first reason for purchasing any keyboard.I don't shop "bells and whistles" which is why the majority of the so-called "workstations" will never see a dime from me.Plus,"Computer Music World" is constantly shaking itself down to God knows how many !@#$%* updates,after the fact.At least with hardware,I can stay put for awhile and actually get some work done,as opposed to worring about version "give us more money please" coming down the pike 5 minutes after I bought a supposedly "perfect" item.

#173252 - 10/07/05 12:14 PM Re: Can This Be Done?
squeak_D Offline

Instrument definitions are basically what personalize your Casio to the software. There's a lot of mumbo jumbo and technical terms, but basically they allow your Casio and the software to communicate properly

If you're upgrading from a 1350 to a 3200 then I say "hell yeah"! However, I'd still buy something like Cakewalk to use with the 3200 by itself. I wouldn't even include the 1350 in the picture.

You'll find that using Cakewalk with your 3200 will be like having a sequencer from more expensive synth/workstations, but with more options, and a MUCH easier interface. The 3200 and Cakewalk would be such a good package for you. Once you use that program with your Casio you won't want to even waste time with the internal recorder (except maybe to scratch an idea out). You can do some serious sequencing with Cakewalk.

Squeak

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online