SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#173233 - 02/27/04 08:05 PM Message for Terry & All
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Terry, you said you'd like to hear an original. Threw me a Line was written for my wife Cathy. She is the inspiration behind a lot of my music.
I recently changed my e-mail and inadvertantly left in an underscore when notifying Nigel. Anyhoo, I'm back to square one (Junior Member),but I'm still Leon.
Give it a listen if you'd care to. My page isn't up and running yet, it will be soon, until then the link will take you to a compilation of songs. "Threw Me A Line" is in MP3Pro format.
http://members.shaw.ca/shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 02-27-2004).]

#173234 - 02/28/04 08:22 AM Re: Message for Terry & All
trtjazz Offline

Leon
Great tune as far as composition, execution and melody. The mix and recording end though uh well, needs IMO quite a bit of work.

I'm getting clipping and distortion. It's a muffled (not clear recording) and overall sort of sounds like a mic placed in front of speakers and recording a song. Sorry just the way I hear it though.

Now on Philadelphia the recording, mix and overall sound is 150% better. It sounds great for all aspects. What's the difference here on how you did them?

Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#173235 - 02/28/04 08:42 AM Re: Message for Terry & All
Roel Offline

Leon,

Nice song ! You have a great voice.
The MP3 however sounds like it is taken from a compact-cassette..... the mix seems to be very good.
Perhaps all the noise is because of the 64kbps format so could you please make the song available in 128 kbps ?

Roel

#173236 - 02/28/04 09:00 AM Re: Message for Terry & All
shboom Offline

Thank you both for your critique. It's quite notable that you picked up the difference. "Threw Me" was actually initially recorded on a multi-track cassette, which is why you're picking up the flutter and minor distortion. I haven't as of yet recorded it digitally. "Philadelphia" was digital start to finish.
Terry you were bang on with regards to the mix. Roel, you also nailed it down to casette.
That was back in the good old days, before going digital.
Again, thanx for your honest revues. When my sites up & running, I'll let you know...L

#173237 - 02/28/04 09:07 AM Re: Message for Terry & All
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
I'm getting clipping and distortion. It's a muffled (not clear recording) and overall sort of sounds like a mic placed in front of speakers and recording a song.

Funny, I'm not experiencing this on 'my computer' at all. The mix sounds pretty good on my end as well, even at 64 kbps.

Leon, moving rendition of 'Philadephia'. What keyboard(s), & instruments and recording technique was used? "Threw Me A Line" has interesting possiblities, but I 'keep waiting' to hear the 'chorus'.

Scott

#173238 - 02/28/04 09:27 AM Re: Message for Terry & All
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Leon, I really love your voice: it reminds me of Peter Gabriel or -if you prefer- Steve Winwood.
I wonder what you could do with a real arranger keyboard...

#173239 - 02/28/04 03:13 PM Re: Message for Terry & All
shboom Offline

Scott:
A T3 is the heart of my studio. I use an SP100 for intricate and bold piano pieces, it also has an excellent piano/string mix which is user adjustable. I use a Roland R8 for some particular percussion pieces as it's very flexible an edittable. Guitars include a Tele, Danelectro 12, Ibanez Musician, Les Paul, and and Ovation Balladeer 12. Mics:EV457 and Beta 57. Everything is recorded on a D8. final mix down to Pioneer PDR-W739.
From there, the tracks are ripped to wav & MP3 or MP3Pro. Thanx again for your critique. I was quite happy with the way "Philadelphia turned out.
The chorus in "Threw Me" is actually the title line (A)and the lyrics that follow..."You Threw me a line....through to..."Saved my life, one more time."

Andrea:
Thank you also. Steve Winwood has always been a favourite artist of mine, back to his days with "Spencer Davis Group", & "Traffic". Never thought that I sounded like Peter Gabriel though...but...thanx, I'll take it as a compliment.

My site should be up and running now, I spent the morning with my soundman...Webmaster Dave. If not, please let me know. I'll periodically amend the samples, so they may not be the same for long.
Thanx again...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 02-28-2004).]

#173240 - 02/28/04 05:17 PM Re: Message for Terry & All
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Funny, I'm not experiencing this on 'my computer' at all. The mix sounds pretty good on my end as well, even at 64 kbps.

Leon, moving rendition of 'Philadephia'. What keyboard(s), & instruments and recording technique was used? "Threw Me A Line" has interesting possiblities, but I 'keep waiting' to hear the 'chorus'.

Scott

Scott,
If you cannot pickup the distinct difference between these 2 recordings, no offense, but you need to relook at your system set up.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#173241 - 03/04/04 09:44 AM Re: Message for Terry & All
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
Leon, loved your 'Crying'... can really hear the feeling come through in that.

I share the same birthday as SW! Reason I mention this is because when I was younger someone came up to me at a gig and said, 'You remind me of a young Steve Winwood'... intrigued (and not really knowing much about him) I went off to do some research, lol.

Anyway, thanks again for your rendition of that Orbison classic, great sound.

All the best,
Rich

#173242 - 03/04/04 12:39 PM Re: Message for Terry & All
shboom Offline

Thank You Rich. I'm glad you liked it. The high end was a bit difficult, I'm sure you noticed the slip into falsetto. Thax for your kind words.

------------------
...L

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online