SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#157024 - 03/02/04 02:12 PM planned sets or "winging it"?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I was wondering how many people organize performances by putting together sets, or how many just "wing it"?

If you do organized sets, do you have various sets put together for certain audiences?

I just "Wing it"!

Russ

#157025 - 03/02/04 02:15 PM Re: planned sets or "winging it"?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I 'wing it,' but I'm pretty sure 80% of the stuff is the same 80% of the time.

#157026 - 03/02/04 02:25 PM Re: planned sets or "winging it"?
Happy Birthday tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
It depends on the venue, but the first set is often 'background' for dinner ... then I pretty much wing it, but there are tunes that just seem to naturally follow each other.....(at least in my alleged mind)
t.

#157027 - 03/02/04 02:26 PM Re: planned sets or "winging it"?
Dnj Offline

Wing it.....you can't "cater" to the crowd with sets...besides.. sets get very very boring. Make every job different you'll enjoy it more & so will your audience!

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#157028 - 03/02/04 06:35 PM Re: planned sets or "winging it"?
TheBish Offline

Loc: Huntington, IN, USA
Wing it...I like the freedom of playing whatever I am in the mood for, at any moment, whenever possible. I am able to put myself into the music more. Helps keep the creative juices flowing...(at least in my mind)..Gary

#157029 - 03/02/04 08:19 PM Re: planned sets or "winging it"?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
My band Red Rhythm see http://www.aband.com always prepare set lists but we are always flexible depending on the response from the crowd. Quite often we will replace songs in the list depending on reaction. So it is a combo of planning with winging it always being a possibility.

#157030 - 03/02/04 09:48 PM Re: planned sets or "winging it"?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You know I wing it. I just play what I think is appropriate at the time.
The only time I stay close to a set routine is at the nursing homes. I start fast, slow down a little and end with a fast gospel usually.
DonM

#157031 - 03/02/04 10:06 PM Re: planned sets or "winging it"?
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
[B]My band Red Rhythm see http://www.aband.com always prepare set lists but we are always flexible depending on the response from the crowd. B]

Same sentiment...In my solo gigs, I have a list that I can draw from, but sticking to it is not always the game plan. As Tony said, "It depends on the venue". You've got to be prepared to read the audience. Our band gigs, we use a set list which we try to stick to, but then they know what they're getting when they hire us, as we've dropped off a promo CD and/or DVD, or it's a return gig and we know what will be well accepted there.
Just my thots.

------------------
...L

#157032 - 03/02/04 10:26 PM Re: planned sets or "winging it"?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
For formal concert gigs, I'll usually put together a set list, yet never hesitate to veer from it as the mood strikes, to satisfy an audience song request, or sudden change of heart. For restaurant, bar & party work, I spontaneously wing it according to the mood of room, though I may, on the way to the gig (go over in my mind) a list of songs I might be in the mood for playing that evening. This brings up the advantage of the Music Finder feature on Yamaha arranger keyboards. I'm able to scan/search/peruse all 550 songs included in my custom selected core repetoire at a moments notice, and call up the appropriate style & instrument setup at a moment's notice. The Music Finder really is an asset for quick spontaneous playing. - Scott

#157033 - 03/02/04 11:19 PM Re: planned sets or "winging it"?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
My band uses sets but like Nigel we're flexible and if the mood calls for it the band leader will improvise and call up a song that isn't on the set list; something we've played and practiced before or course. Panick would ensue if a song was played out of the thin blue air where we hadn't practiced it beforehand let alone a song that none of the other members know at all. So he's careful to pick something we've all well practiced on before. If your an OMB which I am too of course, then winging it is a convenient method for keeping things flowing and being spontaneous with your music and with the crowds.

I could see where set lists even when OMB'ing, could be very practical too especially in a more structured environment, eg., at a 'wedding', etc.

Best regards,
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online