SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#173143 - 11/15/05 02:41 PM off topic question: Do Software Sample Players Recognize Aftertouch
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Guys,
question, I'm just wondering if sample based softsynths respond to aftertouch sent from a controller keyboard and also wondering if soundfonts do??
Unfortunately I can't test it for myself.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#173144 - 11/15/05 08:44 PM Re: off topic question: Do Software Sample Players Recognize Aftertouch
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, samplers like kontakt respond to velocity and aftertouch. In fact, you can assign any number of effects to aftertouch, e.g., note bending, notch filters, etc. Samplers like kontakt can do anything keyboards can and more.

Soundfonts would repond to aftertouch (I think) provided the sampler you are using has this feature. LiveSynth Pro may not have this feature.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 11-15-2005).]

#173145 - 11/16/05 12:02 AM Re: off topic question: Do Software Sample Players Recognize Aftertouch
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Frank,
good to know they do.

As for whether soundfonts do or don't, I might check out sfz+ and see if there's any mention.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#173146 - 11/16/05 03:17 AM Re: off topic question: Do Software Sample Players Recognize Aftertouch
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Rikki,

I am not certain, but I don't think SFZ+ does. I could assign aftertouch to the soundfonts in FL studio.

I would think you could also assign aftertouch and the parameter(s) it should control by using an app like Midi-ox as a go between.

AJ

#173147 - 11/16/05 02:16 PM Re: off topic question: Do Software Sample Players Recognize Aftertouch
rikkisbears Offline

Hi AJ,
I suppose what I'm really trying to work out is, how important is it to have a keyboard that has aftertouch as far as using it as a controller for my softsynth setup .
Most of my keyboards have had it to date.
I'm still trying to decide whether to wait around for a tyros 2 or just get the psr3k. Both have got their pro's & cons for my needs.
best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
[B]Rikki,

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#173148 - 11/16/05 02:50 PM Re: off topic question: Do Software Sample Players Recognize Aftertouch
Bluezplayer Offline

I think for me it's what you as the player are used to. I grew up playing on organs and later on electric pianos and early synths that didn't have it, so I wasn't used to using aftertouch, and even now I don't make a conscious effort to use it on very many patches. I guess the fisrt synth I played that had it was the M1.

The short answer ( for me ) is that I wouldn't miss it a bit, and in fact at times on the PA80, with certain voices, it becomes a bit annoying to me, so I've reduced the sensitivity setting as far as I can. Instead if need be, I prefer to assign my joystick / mod wheel to certain parameters ( other than modulation ) and use it as a controller.

AJ

#173149 - 11/17/05 05:28 AM Re: off topic question: Do Software Sample Players Recognize Aftertouch
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, all other things equal I would select a keyboard with aftertouch. I like using it once in a while for things like vibrato on strings or flutes and pitch bends on guitars, etc. Plus with the top of the line samplers you can use many other effects with aftertouch.

The one thing you need to test is whether the keyboard aftertouch sensitivity can be adjusted or is suitable with your style of play.

#173150 - 11/17/05 07:47 AM Re: off topic question: Do Software Sample Players Recognize Aftertouch
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I also prefer a board/controller with after touch..As AJ has done..you can defeat it if you want...but if you don't have it ..you can never use it..

I use after touch to control several parameters, besides the standard modulation/pitch /LFO etc..I use it to change my variations in a style for an example.

#173151 - 11/17/05 06:04 PM Re: off topic question: Do Software Sample Players Recognize Aftertouch
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Fran,
had no idea you could do that. I must admit I've never delved into what aftertouch can actually do. Obviously a lot more than what I was aware of.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I use after touch to control several parameters, besides the standard modulation/pitch /LFO etc..I use it to change my variations in a style for an example.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#173152 - 11/17/05 06:43 PM Re: off topic question: Do Software Sample Players Recognize Aftertouch
Bluezplayer Offline

I am guessing that would take a touch of finesse and some control that I possibly don't possess Fran, but that is a nice workaround.

I find the aftertouch to be annoying on the PA80, but it does work ok for me on the Motif ES. I can use it to control the breathe function for the VL plug in instead of using my breathe controller.

AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online