SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#173066 - 12/27/99 06:43 AM desperately seeking to get out of the early 90's
tom scanlon Offline

Loc: boston ma
I am desperately seeking to get out of the early 90's -- but I can't let go! Please help me with info. I seeking to purchase an arranger, synth, workstation, or combination of electronics that meets my idiosyncratic needs.

I currently have an old Yamaha PSR85 arranger keyboard-- and I actually love it! I play keys in a wierd cabaret band without a drummer -- and this works pretty good for me. I also hook up an old Dr. Synth tone generator for more sounds. But it is severely limited (as you know). It can't 1. sequencing drum beats; 2. seperate drum beats from the rest of the keyboard sounds; or 3. upgrade new sounds.

I have tried professional workstations -- like the XP80 --and have found them far too complex to do the kind of on-the-spot arrangin/composing i need to do. And playing live? Those workstations are tough.

But, I have maxed out the PSR85 and need to upgrade to something with better drum sounds and sequencing ability. I have been utterly disappointed by the modern PSRs. They don't seem to have the solid key action and durability of the older PSRs. the PSR85 actually has good, solid keys -- not the cheapo stuff.

Any ideas for the right arranger keyboard? Or should I trigger a drum maching with a good synth?

love any feedback anyone has!

TS

#173067 - 12/27/99 06:57 AM Re: desperately seeking to get out of the early 90's
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I've been really busy during the last 4 weeks selling instruments in my music store in California and have not had much time to get on my computer. I have a lot of knowledge of arranger keyboards because I sell many brands and models. There are many arranger keyboards that would thrill you available today. Your PSR 85 (same as the PSR 500 or 510 for those that don't know the PSR85) was great 6-8 years ago, but the current quality of sounds, styles and features will blow your mind!
The Solton X1 seems to be the favorite out there right now. Next will be the PSR9000 when it arrives in the US in Feb., followed by several other great models including the Roland
EM2000, Korg i series, technics and Generalmusic WK series.
If you don't want to spend $1800 - $4000 and beyond, you might want to consider the Yamaha PSR 640, 740 or Generalmusic WK2 keyboards. They sell between $900 - $1200.
Also, the new Yamaha PSR 540 which is a direct replacement for all the PSR 5__ series has a 16 track disk drive sequencer, and you can program your own drum beats and styles for a little over $500.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, Ca.
(Retired 2021)

#332896 - 10/25/11 08:37 PM Re: desperately seeking to get out of the early 90's [Re: George Kaye]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
FLASHBACK

Yes I was a little bored, so I went back to 1999 ...remember that?...waiting for the PSR-9000 arrival in the USA?

In those 12 years, George has seen many keyboards come and go through his store. Since then, I wonder what his top seller arranger was?

OK I'll guess...Yamaha PSR-3000...just a hunch.
Or could it be... ???

#332897 - 10/25/11 09:11 PM Re: desperately seeking to get out of the early 90's [Re: lahawk]
Pearlss1977 Offline

Loc: Ocean County, New Jersey
OMG that is a serious flashback.

I still own a PSR 500(now my kids play with the PSR 500) and a PSR 9000 maxed out with hard drive and 65MB of ram. It has been sitting in the original box for a few years now. I used to love that machine-still do but with a ketron audya, a korg kronos, and a lionstracs mediastation its kinda hard to go back and play the 9000. My PSR 9000 looks like it was never ever used its such a shame thats its not being used. What is the current value of a mint PSR 9000 loaded with the hard drive and ram?

David

#332899 - 10/26/11 02:51 AM Re: desperately seeking to get out of the early 90's [Re: tom scanlon]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Technics keyboards were all the rage back then - 12 years ago is pre KN7000 so could have been the KN5000 which some still say was the best ever...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online