SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#173061 - 03/18/06 11:09 PM Yamaha Keyboard Trick: Long Fill In parts
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Long Fill In parts

By definition the length of Fill In parts must be 1 measure long. To create a Fill In (Break) of any length we can use one of the Intro parts (which can be any length) instead.
When playing we have to think ahead, as an Intro part will start AFTER the current measure, while a normal Fill part will be run IMMEDIATELY when the Fill button is pressed. After the intro the keyboard will resume playing the same Main part as were used when the Intro was called.

This and more tricks are found in my Style Creation Course at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/style_1.htm

Regards

Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#173062 - 03/19/06 02:40 AM Re: Yamaha Keyboard Trick: Long Fill In parts
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Jorgen,
How to get long fill-in parts is a great idea,and one I have been using it for a number of years.
Still,it's great to see it posted...I (shame on me!) never thought of posting it,as it became a commonplace thing for me, and simply never occurred as something others would use...there doesn't seem to be many people making styles.
That leads me to another trick which I discovered... how to get a long ritardando with a simple ending.Simply use one of the endings(one you'd never use)and substitute the parts of one of the variations(usually "D")for 2 to 4 bars(you decide).When you press the altered ending button,immediately press the simple one bar ending.Then,when you want the ritard to happen,press the modified ending button again to activate it.It will slow down and when finished it's predetermined length.will go to the simple ending automatically.

You're doing exceptional work and I appreciate your terrific programs.
Ian

#173063 - 03/19/06 02:58 AM Re: Yamaha Keyboard Trick: Long Fill In parts
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
As an addendum to the extended fills,I also found it handy to substitute the parts from the "BREAK" button under an INTRO button,as the BREAK is difficult to access while playing.
Also the substitution of the simple ending(ENDING 1) in an INTRO gives you a nice stop or 1(or 2) bar pause,the style resuming afterwards.To get the drum fill to work really cool,substitute RHY 2 of the ENDING to RHY 1 of the new INTRO...this way you get the stop and the fill.

#173064 - 03/19/06 09:01 AM Re: Yamaha Keyboard Trick: Long Fill In parts
trtjazz Offline

Jorgen
As always thank you very much for this very helpful.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.artisans-world.com/

#173065 - 03/21/06 11:29 AM Re: Yamaha Keyboard Trick: Long Fill In parts
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi Ian

Thanks. GREAT IDEA

Jørgen

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry