SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#173025 - 08/23/03 06:45 AM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ooops. Doug is right. The 7k has that Smart Media card, right? My Mistake. I was still thinking 6k.
Doug can rip you to shreds and still make it sound pretty, can't he?

#173026 - 08/23/03 07:15 AM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Ouch! Grandpa, I thought I knew you a little better than I apparently do now. Do I sense a little causticity in your tirade? UD was only trying to help out and I did know about the SD Memory slot on the KN7000. That was one of the reasons I had my hopes set on it. But as I stated, I 'sing', or at least I try to sing; so a good Mic In/Mic Preamp/Vocal Harmonizer on the Keyboard is a must not only for my own enjoyment when I play it at home but also on the road. It seems to me Grandpa Doug that you and Dave have a longstanding feud betwixt the two of you and I'm not sure why. As Rodney King once said: "Can't we all just get along?" We share the same passion, ie., "Music", so it's not like we have opposing interests here. PS: Doug, I thought the KN7000 sounded wonderful too and if the KN7500 or 8000 does have a much improved Mic In and Vocalizer on it I will guarantee you I will seriously consider it again as a possible high end Arranger in my music gear arsenal. Best to you and Ruthie.

Mike

#173027 - 08/23/03 07:46 AM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mike,

Put your fingers on a PSR-2100 and you'll never look back. It's a great machine, has those built-in speakers, easy to navigate through the OS, does things that all the high-end boards do, and it performs those tasks quickly and effeciently. As a vocalist, you'll also appreciate the built in vocal processsor, which seems to have improved substantially over the one in the PSR-740. Right out of the box, no tuning or tinkering with voices or styles, the 2100 give you more bang for the buck than any other machine on the market.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#173028 - 08/23/03 07:48 AM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Mike,
I have NO fued with Doug. None at all. He is a wordsmith that I enjoy reading, and if I misquoted the detail about the hard drive, then I deserved the correction. That's just his glib way of saying.....

"Hey Smartass - you goofed"

I can take the shot. I gave you the wrong info on the hard drive. Everyone has little brain-farts from time to time, and people love to point them out here, because of the tremendous ammount of bravado that is slung !
I'm not insulted. In fact - I still think that Technics owners are the MOST loyal of all brands. Maybe it's because of the high prices they pay, maybe they just have better sales pitches, or maybe...just maybe - they really DO love their keyboards more than the other guys. I can't say. I don't love any keyboard at the moment.

So.....sorry about the SD memory...I was confused. Thanx for the defense, but there was no foul from where I stand !
We're OK, right Doug?

#173029 - 08/23/03 08:50 AM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
The microphone input on the KN7000 is fine and is every bit as good as any other top arrangers mic input. In fact its quieter than those on Yamaha arrangers including the XLR mic input on the 9000 Pro. Now the harmonizer functions that's another story. Its by no means entirely useless but its not what it should be to be called a harmonizer.

If you can truly "sing" and only need a high quality mic input to put your vocals through and mix them then the KN7000 will fill the bill. Now if you're like about 99% of people who think they can sing but truly can't, you may want to find an arranger with a great harmonizer to help you out and mask those vocals.

I find it silly that so many people want a keyboard that can make, bake, and slice bread for them and bitch when it can't. Whatever happened to the idea of having a keyboard that just sounds wonderful? For realism in sound and features that rival most keyboards out today, the KN7000 is well worth purchasing. Of course YMMV but I feel the KN7000 is a great keyboard and I'll take great sounds and features over a built in harmonizer function any day. After all its a keyboard meant to be played, not a vocal harmonizer. If you need a great vocal harmonizer buy an external device like a TC because it will rival those built into any arranger keyboard.

#173030 - 08/23/03 09:07 AM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Ensnareyou,
All I can say is "AMEN". You said it all.

To make MUSIC, and have ease of operation for "LIVE" playing, the KN7000 is IT!

As for the Harmoniser, it really doesn't even belong in a keyboard.
Like they say, "If you want a car, buy a car, If you want a boat, buy a boat".
Don't buy a "car that floats!".
Just my thoughts,
Walt

#173031 - 08/23/03 09:44 AM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Oh Mike, oh Mike. Dave and me get along real good, I mean we really do get along. He and I see eye to eye on many things. Never met old Unk, but sure would like to spend a day with him. I think we would have a ball together. I think if I brought old Ruthie along, he would experience a day he would never forget. It might even take three or four weeks before he would get his head screwed on right again. But we would have fun and you can bet on that! Mike, you know, Dave has a way of stating things that get some people all bent out of shape. But as we all know, Dave has a heart of gold and really means well. He has given much help here to many. Dave and me have a somewhat different way of stating ourselves and our thoughts but state them we do. We have completely different ways of presenting our God given gifts and have no reservations in doing so. I like his straightforwardness in his opinions. I admire him for that and love to read his comments. With his open-mindedness I don’t believe he takes to heart and dislikes me when I josh with him and do a little satire even sometimes at his expense. I’m sure Dave would tell me in no uncertain terms if he preferred me to quit. No Mike, Dave and I have no feud going as far as I know. My little ribbing him was intended to point out to you that everything you read is not always necessarily true. Many of the better performers and singers do not use the built in vocalizers in their boards many times but prefer the better quality of the more professional sounding dedicated ones. I believe Uncle Dave go’s that route when he presents himself to the public on his important engagements and uses the on board one in less exacting requirements, such as rest or nursing home type situations. At least that’s what I gather from past posts. Ruthie even says sometimes I get a little mixed up. But you young guys just keep in mind, I’m getting a little old and can be cut a little more slack because of it. How’s that for sneaking out when I get caught? As for you detecting a little causticity in my post, you are right. Not at Dave but the tenor of your post. After stating you had extensively checked it out and found no important fault that would hinder your playing, you challenged someone to find one. It just is hard for me to believe that you did not check out something that would be that important to you. Even harder for me to swallow is that you never remember the many many posts dealing with the vocalizer. The one that tops them all is your faint memory of Scotty’s incessant, never ending saying something about the KN’s terrible Vocal Harmonizer. I didn’t think there was a soul on this or any other forum that did not know the KN’s vocalizer sucked air, including me! Well Mike, the best to you also and I do hope your memory improves. Get a checkup. You might be on the verge of getting that big ‘A’ and that ain’t fun. Well at least not for the people around you.

Grandpa Doug

#173032 - 08/23/03 12:24 PM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Ensnare you,

What if someone has a great voice and can sing greatly? Wouldn't a great harmonizer add more value to the whole mix?

However, I agree with you that buying a keyboard is not only based on the harmonizer function or even the mic input. A keyboard is a keyboard... although we cannot deny that some keyboards have good harmonizer.

#173033 - 08/23/03 12:26 PM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
LOL. The power of ryhme!!!

"Like they say, "If you want a car, buy a car, If you want a boat, buy a boat".
Don't buy a "car that floats!".
Just my thoughts"

nice one.

#173034 - 08/23/03 12:55 PM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:
Ensnare you,

What if someone has a great voice and can sing greatly? Wouldn't a great harmonizer add more value to the whole mix?

... although we cannot deny that some keyboards have good harmonizer.

My sentiments exactly sk880user. What I use a Harmonizer for is for "Harmony" within the Mix, not to make my voice sound better. If I wanted pitch correction then I would get an external unit that does that. And, like you say, some Keyboards actually have pretty good Harmonizers built-in which makes for good "Harmony" within the mix as opposed to the terrible sounding vocalizer on the KN7000 which according to everybody (even Grandpa Doug) is useless. Doug, I don't know if you realize that your words are very demeaning and have an almost evil tone to them, almost like you get pleasure from putting people down and trying to hurt them by and in the things you say. I will leave it at that and hope to God you search your heart and soul and then see the light to cease and desist from doing it in the future. You know they say when a person is unhappy with themselves and life in general they sometimes see a need to make everyone around them as miserable as they are by the things they say and do.

Best regards,
Mike

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online