SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#172443 - 10/24/05 12:11 PM What is a Workstation ?
claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
What's a workstation? what can you do with it? what do people use it for? I own an arranger. I want to know what a worstation and an arranger can do together. Thanks for your time.

#172444 - 10/24/05 12:47 PM Re: What is a Workstation ?
SD_FAN Offline

Loc: São Paulo, SP / Brazil
See the Yamaha demo videos at: http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_euro...ovies/index.php

Armando

#172445 - 10/24/05 02:10 PM Re: What is a Workstation ?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No offense, claudiu, but don't you have a local music store to answer these questions? Or musician friends?

A quick demo in a store will do more than a pageful of writing here to clear up your confusion.

#172446 - 10/24/05 03:06 PM Re: What is a Workstation ?
claudiu Offline

i don't have musician friends in the USA. And i don't go often to the store. Why would i .. ? I go there only when i wanna buy a product.

#172447 - 10/24/05 03:21 PM Re: What is a Workstation ?
claudiu Offline

they showed me a demo - but what does a workstation and what does an arranger ? arranger makes you the negatives and the workstation electronic music.. ? house trance.. ? that's what i saw.

#172448 - 10/24/05 05:11 PM Re: What is a Workstation ?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
a workstation is basically a synthesizer with a sequencer included, plus it can have additional functions, like arpeggiators, loops etc. You can create midifiles/songs in them. They do not have styles built in , like arranger keyboards do.
So if you want something that plays styles in realtime like your VA7, a workstation won't do it.
The last workstation I had was the Korg O1W, but that was many years back, the modern ones probrably do a bit more.

best wishes
rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#172449 - 10/24/05 05:25 PM Re: What is a Workstation ?
claudiu Offline

Thank you rikki !

#172450 - 10/24/05 05:27 PM Re: What is a Workstation ?
claudiu Offline

Ok - Thanks - Now i know what a workstation is - Now please tell me what can it do ? what styles ? Please be more specific - BTW - I hace a thick skull. what can i do with a workstation ? I don't know what sequence is and all that. Best wishes !

#172451 - 10/24/05 06:56 PM Re: What is a Workstation ?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Claudiu,
your VA76 has styles that give you your automatic accompaniment when your press a chord with your left hand, you'll hear bass, drums, guitar etc in the rythm of your choice, be it rock, pop, waltz, bigband etc.

If you hit the RECORD button in your VA76, you can record your performance & save it to zip or disk, this is called sequencing. You can then also go further & edit your performance in the sequencer & save it, and play it back or whatever.

A work station doesn't have styles like your VA76 has. If you decide you want to record a performance, you have to record each track individually ie you have to play the bass part, then you have to record the drum parts etc you more or less build up your song track by track and you have to know what notes you want to play. This is multitrack sequencing.

The above is a very simplified explanation,

My understanding is some of the newer workstations have loops ( musical phrases) that you can use in your songs. These are not the same thing as styles in an arranger keyboard.

It really depends on what type of music you play and what you really want it for ie to play styles ( workstations don't) , to sequence, ( workstations usually have very good sequencers) to use for melody sounds. ( workstations usually have a good variety of sounds)
Personally I don't have a workstation anymore because I need the styles from an arranger type keyboard for my songs. I don't have the musical ability to to record a song from scratch ie know what the bass player, plays, or create a good drum part etc

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by claudiu:
Ok - Thanks - Now i know what a workstation is - Now please tell me what can it do ? what styles ? Please be more specific - BTW - I hace a thick skull. what can i do with a workstation ? I don't know what sequence is and all that. Best wishes !

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 10-24-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#172452 - 10/25/05 07:42 AM Re: What is a Workstation ?
claudiu Offline

Thank you for answering. BTW - You can "sequence" with the roland va-76 arranger, too - using the 16 track sequencer. Recording each sound and then putting them together. I know what an arranger can do. I will use the arranger for playnig at weddings - my question is - If i'm using the arranger at weddings, do I need a workstation? My friend is gonna play, too, with me and i thought to buy him a workstation because a workstation and an arranger may comple each other and they're really good for live performances. So If i have the arranger for weddings, do i need a workstation too? just to sound better and stuff. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online