SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#172211 - 08/02/03 11:15 PM Everything old is new again.....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It's funny. This I3 sounds pretty good - even compared to the newer, better quality sample sounds I have in my racks and other units. I know I am an advocate of the "latest" tools, but that's just to keep one step ahead of the competition. I only use what WORKS for me. I'll never play an instrument to "impress" anyone but me. For the next little while, till the PA1x hits the streets, at least - I think this will do the job at home.

That's one reason why I keep trying that new Neumann stage mic. I WANT to hear a $300 diffference in it, but so far...I just don't. It might perform better in a concert PA, but in my little humble audio world...my EV 767a sounds as good as I can imagine, and I've tried them ALL.

Well - the I3 will get a 4 day rest in my empty studio while me and my girls go on vacation from Sunday till Wednesday. We're taking in 6 Flags(an amusement park that's bigger than Disney !), the beach, the boardwalk, and a fabualous seafood dinner...at least one night ... maybe every night! I may not cook dinner at all ! ! Mmmmmm. I love the levity this Atkins plan has !

I'll try to be silent over the next few days... I want to really kick back and wash the dust of everyday life from my brain. My next job is Thursday at the rib joint, and I can't wait to try the new JBL's with the sub, and the Drive rack. JBL and DBX are from the same parent company, so the Drive rack has presets for EQ curves and output levels for the crossovers in the G2 series. That makes setup a breeze! The room will be equalized with a RTA, and the speakers can be further tweaked to taste with a parametric. I'm tellin' ya ... I LOVE this processor. Works great with the smaller speakers.

So, my new setup is the G2 10s for smaller jobs, and add the G2 sub for larger stuff. The little 10s really have a surprising amount of bass...especially with the EQ curve that the Drive Rack set up. So good, yet sooooo small. I just wish they would stack easier. The cases are very stylish too. Easy to put on and take off. (That always bugged me about the EVs)

I hope to be busy making CDs starting September, so I should be content for the winter season. I hate to make changes from September to January...because I get the bulk of my work in that quarter. Usually - Oct, Nov & December make up 1/2 of my year.
(fingers crossed....)

Enough babbling - I have to sleep a little so we can get an early start on the VACA tomorrow ! tata y'all !

#172212 - 08/02/03 11:54 PM Re: Everything old is new again.....
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Uncle Dave

I know I love my JBL 10G2's. When you use it, do you use one sub or two? What constitutes a job large enough to use the sub(s)?

Enjoy that vacation!

Scott Langholff

#172213 - 08/03/03 01:59 AM Re: Everything old is new again.....
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Uncle Dave have a great vacation & eat a lobster or a pound or
two of crab legs for me,,,,, OK.
Denny

#172214 - 08/03/03 08:39 AM Re: Everything old is new again.....
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
UD. Happy memories I had an i3 for 3 years following that another 3 years with i30. Those boards were very well made unlike some of the modern stuff. They both sounded a little flat until you tweaked the reverb on most of the voices I used, but still great boards.
Dave.Have a great holiday.

Graham UK

#172215 - 08/03/03 07:33 PM Re: Everything old is new again.....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The need for bass is not always the largest places, but rather, the rooms that are the hardest to cover. I use it if I play for younger dancers, or do a lot of DJing during a show....like a Bar Mitzvah where I am switching between kids stuff and classic stuff all night.
The new G2 10s are just as powerfull as the old Gray 15s, so I doubt that I'd need more than one sub and two tops for anything I do. In case of an outdoor thing, or where 4 way coverage is required .... I have a second pair of the gray ones (15). They will sit silent most of the time, though !

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online