SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#172088 - 01/03/06 07:24 AM Light Scribe or epson printer?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I'm looking for a new computer and the HP's and Compaq’s come with Light Scribe. All of my guru's around here say that HP & Compaq are prioritized and are trouble when a problem arises and they don’t like them at all. These guys use computers for a surveying business and have no need for labeling CDs except for using a marker to label them.

Maybe it would be better to get an emachine and buy an Epson printer for labeling CD's?

The emachines they say are not prioritized, they are priced nicely and the reputation of this brand seems to be climbing while the others are going down. These are some comments I've heard by these gurus. All I do is learn to run software.

In any event what is the latest on labeling CD’s? Those of you with the Epson printer, are you happy with the system? What about anyone with Light Scribe, might it be better? Or should I forget about this?

#172089 - 01/03/06 07:58 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
First, I don't know what "priortized" means in this context. But anyway, the Lightscribe, to my knowledge, is VERY slow. If it were me (and I have looked at this many times and might be buying soon), I'd buy the Epson for labeling. But if you are doing a run of CD's, I wouldn't do either. I'd send the master to Harmony-Central or or some other company. They do 50 for $59, plus shipping. About $80.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#172090 - 01/03/06 08:50 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
JimP Offline

Loc: Richfield, Ohio USA
Brickboo,
In the past I purchased an HP computer from CompUSA. It was a consumer model that included 24/7 free telephone support for three years. The computer started having problems the day after I purchased it. I called the toll free support number and after three hours of waiting I gave up. The next day I called (late at night) and gave up after holding for two hours. I then returned the computer to CompUSA. What good is 24/7 free support if they never answer your phone call? I then purchased an E machine notebook computer. The price was excellant and the computer and support have been very good. A much better value than HP and much better support.

I would buy the epson printer to print on CDs.

#172091 - 01/03/06 09:18 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA

#172092 - 01/03/06 09:28 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
ON the other hand, I have never had anything but HP printers, never had a problem with any of them in all these many years and HP sends me an email about once a month or so to update any HP drivers I have for my HP Scanner, three printers, Digital Camera and Digital camera bass charger transfer unit.
But no more compaq computers no matter if HP or who might own them. I have one that was 1800.00 new and failed a week after the warranty expired and a new mother board is propietary and over 400.00. So I bought a new Sony VAIO and my laptos 2 are Toshiba.
I like HP and they are neighbors up the street if I had a serious problem with their stuff.
Bebop

#172093 - 01/03/06 09:33 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I have always had good luck with HP, I've owned a couple and the one I have now I had problems with when I first got it. they fed exed me a box (overnight) so I could ship it back to them. Within a week I got my computer back, delivered to my door, and two years no problems.
My buddy has bought a couple of emachines(made by IBM as I understand it) the first was their giveaway 299 all in one which wasn't bad except it came with the bare minimum of everything and it was hard to expand.
This time he bought the next model up from the bottom and got a much nicer more full featured machine.And by the way emachine had almost as much prioritized software as HP.
The way I understand lightscribe is it etches on special cd's, not in full color, but no ink to buy.
I could be wrong but thats my impression from talking to the kids at best buy.

#172094 - 01/03/06 10:57 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
Clif Anderson Offline

I have an HP computer with Lightscribe and an Epson RX320 printer. I have now made labels in three ways: printing disk labels on a laser printer, using light scribe, and printing on inkjet compatible disks using the Epson.

Lightscribe is cool-looking. Its monochrome, almost like some old engraving. It takes about 20 minutes to print one disk. Lightscribe-compatible disks are much more expensive than regular or inkjet compatible disks.

The Epson of course is full color. It is faster than lightscribe, but still takes a couple of minutes per disk. I use it most of the time when I need to label a disk.

If I have a lot of disks to produce, I print on color-laser compatible labels. For more than one label, this is the fastest way to print and the quality is fine.

One issue in disk labeling is the size of the center margin. The large center holes for CDs and DVDs are a big limitation for disk artwork. With lightscribe you are stuck with this. For inkjet compatible disks, there are some than are writable much closer to the center hold. There are also disk labels that allow you to select a smaller center hole.

#172095 - 01/03/06 11:26 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Why is a topic about PC's and printers in the General Arranger section???

#172096 - 01/03/06 11:30 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Burkels:

This forum is not arrangers-only.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#172097 - 01/03/06 11:31 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
Burkels Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
This forum is not arrangers-only.

It is. This is the General Arranger Keyboards Forum. Scroll upwards in the mainindex of this forum to find the PC Software and Hardware Forum.

#172098 - 01/03/06 11:38 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
It is. This is the [b]General Arranger Keyboards Forum. Scroll upwards in the mainindex of this forum to find the PC Software and Hardware Forum.

[/B]

It's common knowledge this forum is about arrangers and any number of subjects about performing and playing. Plus, totally off-topic subjects. Join in!

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#172099 - 01/03/06 11:40 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
Burkels Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
It's common knowledge this forum is about arrangers and any number of subjects about performing and playing. Plus, totally off-topic subjects. Join in!

Performing and playing, fair enough. But advice on what printer to buy... Come on. Calls for a moderator to move a few topics :-)

I'm thinking about a new bullbar for my 4x4. (Hey, it carries my KB when I drive to a gig, so it's on-topic, right?) Any advice?

#172100 - 01/03/06 12:00 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Burkels, there are forums on the internet that are strictly on-topic. This isn't one of them.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#172101 - 01/03/06 02:59 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Brickboo, Semi & others:

We have had this discussion on this forum several times. For my two-bits worth, as long as we are talking onesy-twosey CD printing jobs that require full color, the Epson family (R-200, R-220, R-300 & R-320) are hard to beat. I sent Scott Yee and others samples. I never have a problem with smearing. My only complaint (and this one is universal, no matter what brand of inkjet)involves the extremely high cost of ink. It costs those folks less than a dollar per unit in labor and materials and they are ripping us to pieces costwise. No wonder they sell the printers so cheap. It nearly costs as much for the ink!

Sorry for the rant! Good luck. RICE

#172102 - 01/03/06 03:11 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:

Burkels ... since your occupation is IT related, why not give some 'professional' advice and perhaps end the discussion ???
t.

#172103 - 01/03/06 08:58 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Riceroni9:
Hi Brickboo, Semi & others:

We have had this discussion on this forum several times. For my two-bits worth, as long as we are talking onesy-twosey CD printing jobs that require full color, the Epson family (R-200, R-220, R-300 & R-320) are hard to beat. I sent Scott Yee and others samples. I never have a problem with smearing. My only complaint (and this one is universal, no matter what brand of inkjet)involves the extremely high cost of ink. It costs those folks less than a dollar per unit in labor and materials and they are ripping us to pieces costwise. No wonder they sell the printers so cheap. It nearly costs as much for the ink!

Sorry for the rant! Good luck. RICE

That's why I only buy Canon printers. They have individual ink cartridges and they are quite inexpensive.
DonM

#172104 - 01/03/06 09:41 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
cwalkeralso Offline

Loc: State of Washington, US
In the opening post on this thread, I think the author meant "proprietary," not "prioritized."

Then again, I could be wrong. (It's been known to happen.)

Charles

#172105 - 01/03/06 10:53 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
The ink-jet printer industry relies on the "razor" concept. Sell the tool with a loss, make profit on the razors.

#172106 - 01/04/06 12:22 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
That's why I only buy Canon printers. They have individual ink cartridges and they are quite inexpensive.
DonM

Hi Don
I also have graduated to a Canon i350 .I bought it because I saw that the cartridges were considerably cheaper than the others (like HP) but I have found that I have to buy more replacement cartridges for the Canon than I ever did for the HP
Not too late I hope to wish you and your family a Happy New Year 2006.

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#172107 - 01/04/06 10:55 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I also do photo prints...I will stay with HP...you can't beat the quality...though at a price..

#172108 - 01/04/06 11:02 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
cwalkeralso Offline

Brickboo

An option to consider is thermal transfer printing onto CDs and DVDs. Casio makes such a printer which can be had for about $80 if you catch it on sale. I was more impressed, though, by the one from Primera.

The low-end Primera CD/DVD printer is the thermal transfer Signature Z1, which sells for $150 or less. Prints monochrome (4 available colors: Black, Red, Blue or Green) directly onto NON-BRANDED CDs/DVDs. The included software sets up 4 rectangular print regions, within which text or line-art graphics can be placed. Media can be purchased in bulk (my choice for CDs is referenced below). I am very happy with this purchase. It suits my needs perfectly.
http://www.primera.com/signaturez1.html
http://www.promediazone.com/p-211-taiyo-yuden-cdr-thermal.aspx

Charles

PS Primera also makes 6-color inkjet printers for printing direct to CD/DVD. Several models to choose from. Info is available at the Primera link above.

[This message has been edited by cwalkeralso (edited 01-04-2006).]

#172109 - 01/04/06 11:31 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Boo,

I work in the tech department of a school district. We have over 1500 computers and a whole bunch of printers. We only use HP/Compact computers and HP printers. I have an E-Machine at home and it has been fine. My wife's school had 6 E-Machines and so far two have failed. Personally I would be hard pressed to find better printers than HP. Glad you are still hanging around. Are you still laying bricks and women?

Tom

Tom

#172110 - 01/04/06 02:06 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
Burkels Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Burkels ... since your occupation is IT related, why not give some 'professional' advice and perhaps end the discussion ???
t.

Just because I work in IT, does not mean I know every single printer that's out there :-)

#172111 - 01/04/06 02:55 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Just because I work in IT, does not mean I know every single printer that's out there :-)

But why not a positive response instead of a negative, join the conversation, have some fun, lighten up.
Now about that bullbar for the 4x4 ........

#172112 - 01/04/06 04:58 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Boo
I'm on my 5th HP pc and also swear by HP printers. So much so that when we needed 15 printers for work we got 15 HP ones! Excellent stuff and go on forever.

My partner changes PC every 12 month or so and I end up with the old one every time we get a new one. The latest PC bought in Dec has a lightscribe DVD burner on it. We have not tested it yet but I will do so tomorrow and let you know the result.

If it is anything like the other HP stuff we have had then I don't see that it won't be up to the job.

Whatever you do get I hope you enjoy it.
Best wishes
Tony

#172113 - 01/04/06 05:23 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
cwalkeralso Offline

Brickboo

In case you're interested, there's a lightscribe drive comparison by cdrinfo at:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Print.aspx?ArticleId=13449

It's a bit dated (April 2005), but has a lot of good info about the technology, and plenty of photos.

Charles

#172114 - 01/04/06 07:12 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Boo,
Are you still laying bricks and women?
Tom

#172115 - 01/06/06 08:36 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Tom, I just bricked a big house from August to November 1st.

Thanks for all of the input. I must say I've read many reviews and many owners are very disappointed with all of the present CD printing systems.

There are also many people who wouldn’t think of trying to refill ink cartridges and I’ve been doing it for years.

I thought there might b more here on the forum using these systems but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
Boo

#172116 - 01/06/06 08:45 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
cwalkeralso Offline

Brickboo

Have you considered a continuous-flow inkjet system? Very economical, and not all that difficult to set up. I used one with an Epson printer. You can check it out at:
http://www.inksupply.com/

Charles

[This message has been edited by cwalkeralso (edited 01-06-2006).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online