SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#172108 - 01/04/06 11:02 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
cwalkeralso Offline

Loc: State of Washington, US
Brickboo

An option to consider is thermal transfer printing onto CDs and DVDs. Casio makes such a printer which can be had for about $80 if you catch it on sale. I was more impressed, though, by the one from Primera.

The low-end Primera CD/DVD printer is the thermal transfer Signature Z1, which sells for $150 or less. Prints monochrome (4 available colors: Black, Red, Blue or Green) directly onto NON-BRANDED CDs/DVDs. The included software sets up 4 rectangular print regions, within which text or line-art graphics can be placed. Media can be purchased in bulk (my choice for CDs is referenced below). I am very happy with this purchase. It suits my needs perfectly.
http://www.primera.com/signaturez1.html
http://www.promediazone.com/p-211-taiyo-yuden-cdr-thermal.aspx

Charles

PS Primera also makes 6-color inkjet printers for printing direct to CD/DVD. Several models to choose from. Info is available at the Primera link above.

[This message has been edited by cwalkeralso (edited 01-04-2006).]

#172109 - 01/04/06 11:31 AM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Boo,

I work in the tech department of a school district. We have over 1500 computers and a whole bunch of printers. We only use HP/Compact computers and HP printers. I have an E-Machine at home and it has been fine. My wife's school had 6 E-Machines and so far two have failed. Personally I would be hard pressed to find better printers than HP. Glad you are still hanging around. Are you still laying bricks and women?

Tom

Tom

#172110 - 01/04/06 02:06 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Burkels ... since your occupation is IT related, why not give some 'professional' advice and perhaps end the discussion ???
t.

Just because I work in IT, does not mean I know every single printer that's out there :-)

#172111 - 01/04/06 02:55 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Burkels:
Just because I work in IT, does not mean I know every single printer that's out there :-)

But why not a positive response instead of a negative, join the conversation, have some fun, lighten up.
Now about that bullbar for the 4x4 ........

#172112 - 01/04/06 04:58 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Boo
I'm on my 5th HP pc and also swear by HP printers. So much so that when we needed 15 printers for work we got 15 HP ones! Excellent stuff and go on forever.

My partner changes PC every 12 month or so and I end up with the old one every time we get a new one. The latest PC bought in Dec has a lightscribe DVD burner on it. We have not tested it yet but I will do so tomorrow and let you know the result.

If it is anything like the other HP stuff we have had then I don't see that it won't be up to the job.

Whatever you do get I hope you enjoy it.
Best wishes
Tony

#172113 - 01/04/06 05:23 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
cwalkeralso Offline

Brickboo

In case you're interested, there's a lightscribe drive comparison by cdrinfo at:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Print.aspx?ArticleId=13449

It's a bit dated (April 2005), but has a lot of good info about the technology, and plenty of photos.

Charles

#172114 - 01/04/06 07:12 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Boo,
Are you still laying bricks and women?
Tom

#172115 - 01/06/06 08:36 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Tom, I just bricked a big house from August to November 1st.

Thanks for all of the input. I must say I've read many reviews and many owners are very disappointed with all of the present CD printing systems.

There are also many people who wouldn’t think of trying to refill ink cartridges and I’ve been doing it for years.

I thought there might b more here on the forum using these systems but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
Boo

#172116 - 01/06/06 08:45 PM Re: Light Scribe or epson printer?
cwalkeralso Offline

Brickboo

Have you considered a continuous-flow inkjet system? Very economical, and not all that difficult to set up. I used one with an Epson printer. You can check it out at:
http://www.inksupply.com/

Charles

[This message has been edited by cwalkeralso (edited 01-06-2006).]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online