SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17170 - 09/03/00 04:46 PM MS2000
cBas Offline

What can someone tell me about the MS 2000.
(besides its awesome or it sucks) I need to know about editing, controlling and storing sounds, and Its Drums. Any other input would be appreciated.. any good mp3s that i could here. (cant try it out)

#17171 - 09/03/00 06:44 PM Re: MS2000
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
The MS-2000 is an analogue modeling synthesizer , so there is no sampled drum kits . It is not an over priced casiotone with preset sampled sounds . It's a 4 voice polyphonic synthesizer that features vocoding , analogue 16 step sequencing , virtual patching ( emulates the defeating of hardwired presets like in the old MS-10 and MS-20 ) and it has 2 exsternal inputs for processing other sounds . You can make analogue style drum sounds in it ( emulating analogue drum machines ) but it's only bi-timbral , so you can make a bass drum on one half of the keyboard and a snare on the other . It has ring modulation , and with the virtual patching , arpeggiator and sequencer you can use all of these to modulate different sections of the synthesizer to create unique sounds . It has real time controls for everything and it has only a few program windows . It's a true synthesizer , not some ridiculous sample playback machine . If you have not played one yet , go to your local music store and just play it , use the controls and you will be convinced .

#17172 - 09/03/00 07:05 PM Re: MS2000
Arvon45 Offline

Loc: USA
I played it. It is a nice synth, but I prefer the 6 voice MOSS in the Triton.

#17173 - 09/03/00 08:22 PM Re: MS2000
cBas Offline

Unfortunately my local music store does not carry korg synths. (or any analoge/v. analog synths) Infact, their only real programable synthesizer is a kawai k5000 which I already own. Im looking for a sound source to complement the k5000 that doesnt cost more than $700 new or used. Looking at a used virus b, and ms 2000 R. Also thinking of getting Acid Hip Hop for some good sampled drums. (non electronic, i already have those.) 800dv, you seem to love real synthesizers, what do you think? Have you heard anything about the new moog performance synth or the alesis andromeda? How do they match up with the korg and the virus.

Lastly, and this is for anyone. I realy need to know of a place where i can try some new synths out. My music store is great for fixing my trombone and piano but is crap for synthesizers. I live in Tallahassee Florida and am within 5 hrs from Atlanta, Jacksonville, Tampa and Orlando. Anyone know of a good store where I can camp out at and try out what theyve got?

#17174 - 09/04/00 01:13 PM Re: MS2000
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
I live in Atlanta , the MARS music store has the MS-2000 and so does the GUITAR CENTER ( RHYTHM CITY ) as well . The MS-2000 has more features than the VIRUS . The ANDROMEDA sounds like it will be a MONSTER , I can't wait for that one . I here the new MOOG is now set to come out in January of 2001 . The MS-2000 is by far the best for the buck , you can't beat it . Once you get the time , just drive up to Atlanta and check it out , both stores are right off the Interstate I-85 and there you can take your time in playing it .

#17175 - 09/05/00 06:13 PM Re: MS2000
Another Forgotten Machine Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Yeah there are a few MARs music stores between Jacksonville and Miami. One of the best is the Orlando store in my oppinon. Has the best stock and some the most trained staff. Gotta love a store that only hires people to a section who are trained in real life on that type of instrument.

#17176 - 09/28/00 02:23 AM Re: MS2000
FreakBoy Offline

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA
Have to agree. I'm right now saving up the change to buy this piece of kit. I'll spend a few days at the store on the days near the purchase just to make sure, but so far I'm amazed.

I decided to try comparing it to the Roland JP-8080 (I think that's the one). Although there's more polyphony on it, and a couple different features not present on the MS2000, I still think I like the MS better.

For starters, the filter is Korg's best filter since they went digital. ITS AMAZING. That filter is enough to make me drool. You've got enough control with the 4 types of filters on offer, with I believe 8,12, and 24db response (maybe different?).

They also included their Vocoder as part of the package... now, normally this would mean that you just had a vocoder. But with the virtual patching and the 2 audio ins, you've got the ability to vocode more than just voice to sine/saw/pulse wave. You can vocode drums through a synth patch... lots of posibilities.

The biggest drawback I've noticed, without it really being too big a drawback is the maximum 128 memory slots. That includes the factory presets.

Either way, if you're looking for VERY electronic sounds, I love this thing.

------------------

Seth

#17177 - 10/18/00 07:59 PM Re: MS2000
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
I would have wholeheartedly bought an MS2000R had it not been for Korg being so stingy in only giving us 4 notes of polyphony- come on Korg it's the year 2000 not 1975!!!! This synthe should have at least double the polyphony or an expansion option like in the Korg Z1 (which I own and love!!!!). Then I'd buy it with bells on!!!!

#17178 - 11/10/00 06:05 AM Re: MS2000
aminotransmitter Offline

Loc: L.A. CA USA
Well, the four note thing ain't so bad when you think you can buy two rack's for about $1,200.00 US. I own one and like It a lot but not enough to buy another one.

Our track "Some kinda girl" Is a clubber's dream.
Great beat's, bass line and a dope vocoder sample make this track hot. Free download at http://www.mp3.com/newtrance And partial proceed's go to Greenpeace, so take a listen to save the planet. Cheer's and love

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online