SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#171533 - 12/13/04 12:07 PM One Man Band version 8
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
The demo version of One Man Band version 8 can be downloaded at http://www.1manband.nl/omb.htm 30 new tutorials with pictures have been added on that website too.

For those who didn't knew that already: OMB is a software tool that can convert any synthesizer or digital piano in an arranger keyboard with real-time chord-recognition. And it can upgrade basic arranger keyboards to the level of there much more expensive big brothers. It utilises Yamaha styles that are available for free and for sale in large numbers.

For performing artists a lot has been added in the presets where you store the style, voices etc. for each song in your repertoire. A text with chords and lyrics can be attached to the presets or a scanned image of the score (it will scroll while you play). A wave or mp3 can be added to the intro. Instead of using a style and play the chords with your left hand, you can choose to play a multimediafile and use both hands for melody and improvisations. Wave, mp3, midi and karaoke files are supported. The karaoke text will scroll in big font and highlight each word to be sung.

For sequencing and style creation the eventslist is much improved and a pianoroll is added. Besides the "drag and drop" style sequencer there is now also a sequencer for standard MIDI files with all the features that you may expect in such a tool.

Jos

[This message has been edited by Jos Maas (edited 12-13-2004).]

#171534 - 12/13/04 12:38 PM Re: One Man Band version 8
tracknet Offline

I think your OMB may be used without an arranger kb. It only needs a computer, a keyboard and a good sound module (or a keyboard with sound module built-in).

What would be the better (and cheaper) keyboard for it?
A midi kb and a synth module into the computer?
I think all keyboards may be used but, what about sounds?
A keyboard with sound module built-in? If so, what keyboard do you recomend?
Perpahs it is better a XG module?

I want remember Rikki have some of it, perhaps she may answer...

[This message has been edited by tracknet (edited 12-13-2004).]

#171535 - 12/13/04 01:01 PM Re: One Man Band version 8
Jos Maas Offline

You can include whatever you fancy with OMB.

There are 2 tutorials with some suggestions: http://www.1manband.nl/tutorials1/hardware.htm http://www.1manband.nl/tutorials1/vst.htm

You can go from very cheap to very expensive. Soundfonts, softsynths, hardware synts, arranger keyboards, piano's, soundcards, modules, anything.

Jos

#171536 - 12/13/04 01:46 PM Re: One Man Band version 8
tracknet Offline

Yes, I know, I read it. Perhaps I didn't explain well my self.
There is a good arrangers at 1000 euros (ex. PSR1500, with smart card and USB device for to load hundreds of styles). So, the reason for OMB would be to be a cheaper way to have an arranger, because, if not, perhaps it has no sense to buy a midi keyboard which costs more than PSR1500 for to use with OMB.
So, my question was:
Which good GM/XG keyboard or piano costing less than 1000 euros would be a better thing (+ OMB) than a PSR1500? Better = better sounds, better styles sounding.
If so, as OMB uses Yamaha styles, is it better a keyboard with XG sounds than GM -like Roland- for your OMB?

#171537 - 12/13/04 02:10 PM Re: One Man Band version 8
Jos Maas Offline

If you just want the sound and style quality of a PSR 1500 and don't need any extra features then the answer is simple: buy the PSR 1500.

But if you have a PSR 740 you can add a lot with OMB. I know quite a few owners of these older keyboards who will stick with it forever now they have OMB.

And if you want the best of the best and don't mind spending some time experimenting and tweaking, then you can create a quality that is not for sale in the shops.

Jos

#171538 - 12/13/04 10:45 PM Re: One Man Band version 8
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Tracknet,
I'm using OMB/Laptop with any of 3 sound sources.
My CLP170 Piano ( Clavinova with xg sounds) or
my inexpensive DGX305 piano( with xg sounds )
or my
Edirol Hypercanvas ( GM2 sounds) with Forte Ensemble

(I've also got Synergi Soundfonts )

I tend to think most styles need a certain amount of tweaking when played on a keyboard other than the one the style was created for.

ie if I played one of the dgx styles via omb & clp170 ( as sound source) , it doesn't sound the same even though both are xg.
I still need to tweak some of the volumes etc
to get it sounding right.

What I like about using OMB is the fact that it uses psr styles, but, by using omb's facilities for editing & tweaking, I can get them sounding the way I want. Not neccesarily the same as the original, but still good ( at least to me haahaa).

The clp & dgx as sound modules mainly need tweaking of volumes, wheras my Hypercanvas ( being GM) requires me to alter some of the drum notes .
OMB can apparently use a gm source , but I prefer to edit my drums manually.
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tracknet:
[B]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 12-13-2004).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#171539 - 12/14/04 04:34 AM Re: One Man Band version 8
sylion Offline

hi,Jos
all version one man band can not run under chinese Windows.it can not open any style file.
I guess, when you open a style file,you use a strings variable to keep the file's centents,probably you should use a Byte array to keep style file's contents.
many software developed by americans cant run under chinese version Windows,the reason mostly is this matter.

i hope your next version will solve this problem.

sorry for my poor english.

[This message has been edited by sylion (edited 12-14-2004).]

#171540 - 12/14/04 09:30 AM Re: One Man Band version 8
Jos Maas Offline

Hi Sylion,

I will have another look at it in the next weeks. A lot of Chinese, Japanese and Korean users complain about this. They have to restart their computer in the English version of Windows before they can use OMB.

Jos

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online