SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#171394 - 03/06/02 09:42 AM Pretty Amazing Sound!!
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hey Guys!!
DonM, Scott Yee, Uncle Dave, and any of you that own the 2000. Have any of you played around with the voice,ModernHarp?
To me this is a fantastic sound when played
single note or with a harmony note, whilst using the pitch bend. With this sound I use the Pitch Bend in both directions.
I have a few songs I do bluegrass style where I use this sound for a train whistle!
I was just wondering if anyone else was getting as much from it as I am.
I realize it works more with country, better than other music!
Try it on the Kentucky Waltz!!
Have a nice day,
Nobby

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 03-06-2002).]

#171395 - 03/06/02 10:43 AM Re: Pretty Amazing Sound!!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Nobby: I agree. I love using this patch (modern harp) a lot too, especially for creating realistic sounding expressive harmonica solos. I trigger the pitch bend via a remote foot controler pedal.

Frankly, I never could figure out how you guys are able to trigger pitch bend using the KB's pitch wheel, while playing live in arranger mode.

Pitch bend typically needs to occur 'at the chord changes', so there's no way I can play chord changes with my my left hand (with left voice sounding as well) and simultaneously move the pitch bend wheel too. Ok, WHAT's the SECRET folks ? - Scott

#171396 - 03/06/02 11:28 AM Re: Pretty Amazing Sound!!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I use that sound a lot too.
I've been using the pitchbend wheel so long that I have to really think about it to try and explain the technique.
I find that I often hit the chord changes a slight fraction ahead of time, then release to use the wheel.
Don

#171397 - 03/06/02 11:38 AM Re: Pretty Amazing Sound!!
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
The pitch bend issue has long been a big question mark for me. There are certainly times when a bend here and a bend there would add to the realism of an instrument but I guess I'll need to wait for that extra hand to grow.

#171398 - 03/06/02 12:37 PM Re: Pretty Amazing Sound!!
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Nobby,

The Modern harp sound is probably my favorite sound on the whole board. There is nothing on the PA80 or even in my other samples that are as good in my opinion. It works very nicely in a blues tune too. The wife plays Chromonica and has done so on some of my songs.. but even she is amazed at the sound of it. I agree with one thing ..Ya GOTTA use that pitch bend thing though at least a little to add the realism of the sound. What I do when I'll need both hands to accurately play a part I want to do in a live setting is to pre record the accompaniment and play it via disk. I can't get the same expression and make it sound as accurate any other way, including using after touch for pitch bending or trying to use a non linear foot pedal to emulate pitch bends

Korg AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 03-06-2002).]

#171399 - 03/06/02 04:40 PM Re: Pretty Amazing Sound!!
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Guys,
I've got a confession to make.
When I play this type of music I cheat a little bit!
I switch to one finger chords,play in
C Major & transpose. But I only do this when I'm working a song where I use the bend a lot! For me its a lot faster, I can change the chord I'm on the bend quicker!
I thought one time of buying a Solton. You know with the peddle board you can change chords with your foot! That way you have your left hand free!
Just think you could play your KB & pick your nose at the same time! Ha
Gotta get out of here it's time for
wed. night church! Sounds like I need it!!
See you guys,
Nobby

------------------

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online