SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17120 - 10/12/00 09:06 PM Poly 800
FreakBoy Offline

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA
I've got a chance to get a Poly 800 in near mint for $100.00 is this a good deal? Should I pick this baby up?

------------------

Seth

#17121 - 10/12/00 10:08 PM Re: Poly 800
RodS Offline

Loc: Mamaroneck,NY,USA
yeah, that's pretty good.

I've seen them go for 100-150 at ebay, some fairly beat up.

Just make sure you like it. The poly (which I also own) is old and sort of limited...

Rod

#17122 - 10/12/00 11:34 PM Re: Poly 800
FreakBoy Offline

Well, I've read up on it a bit. Its not something that in my area is easy to find to try out. From what I understand it would be pretty good for making sweeping pad sounds. Is this true?

------------------

Seth

#17123 - 10/13/00 05:19 PM Re: Poly 800
RodS Offline

Loc: Mamaroneck,NY,USA
Actually, yes. That's what I use it mostly for nowadays. I can do some good lead sounds too.

Just remember that in the poly the filter is monophonic eventhough it's an 8 voice synth. You can setup in two modes, either the envelope retriggers if you press another note while holding one, or the filter doesn't come on at all. Depending on what you're playing this may be give you a funny effect.

I wish I had a jupiter 8 because that's the ultimate killer filter sweeps synth. :-)

#17124 - 10/30/00 12:12 PM Re: Poly 800
Alectroboy Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
I have a Poly 800-II (has a digital delay added). I find it to be great fun. I think its limitations kind of improve its sound, in a perverse way. The single filter thing is kind of neat, either when you screw up a held note by hitting another, or by playing a run of notes, all filtered by different portions of the same filter envelope. There are some settings where the filter sounds kind of crackly and ancient, a sound which I happen to love (in moderation). Because the filter is analog, I'm seriously considering adding a jack to inject external audio. I also like the oscillators, which can give various gritty metallic timbres.

------------------
Curiously Refreshing music: http://mp3.com/alectroboy

#17125 - 11/01/00 03:26 PM Re: Poly 800
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
Yep , I bought my POLY-800 brand new in 1984 and it's still going .

#17126 - 11/01/00 09:22 PM Re: Poly 800
FreakBoy Offline

So it basically sounds like the 800 has a built in Unison only mode. I wonder if there's a "mod" to get around this.

#17127 - 11/13/00 01:59 PM Re: Poly 800
Anonymous
Unregistered

I picked up a poly 800II for about a hundred bucks. I'm pretty satsified with it, but I know next to nothing about how to create sounds by altering waveforms. I mean, being a licensed scientician, I understand the concept and all, but does anybody happen to know if there is a page/newsroom which lists parameter settings for making common organ voices (Rhodes,B3, cliche techno organ, etc?)

#17128 - 11/20/00 10:12 PM Re: Poly 800
faceless Offline

Just scammed me a poly800 II from a pawn shop tonight for $65. I love it. I've done ALOT of research on this piece as well, since I wanted to make sure I was spending my grocery money wisely. I've seen alot of complaints about it losing it's memory without batteries. Well, I don't have ANY batteries installed (except for the little internal battery), programmed some patches, turned it off, taken it apart (power unplugged) and my patches are still there.

Any of you did the filter mod to yours? That'll be my next project. Aside from a broken key, I'm thoroughly happy with this synth for the money I paid for it. It's certainly better than paying double what I paid to get a crappy casio and be stuck with sounds. At least I can program to my hearts content, save my presets to my sampler through the tape out jack, and move on. I haven't quite figured out the step sequencer yet. I know how to get it in the recording mode, but haven't been able to play them back. I don't have a manual.

I've also seen alot of complaints about having to program so much stuff, therefore it being a piece of crap. I see this as being much better than picking up an expensive synth, playing all the "cool" sounding pre-programmed presets in your music, then come to find out you sound just like every other person who chose to just use the easy route.

Well, any help with an online manual, downloadable patches, or the sequencer help would be appreciated. As soon as I get all of my patches programmed, I'll put them online for download.

KNETYK - Electro Trance http://www.mp3.com/knetyk

DENT - Nothing Can Stop This Machine http://www.dentmachine.com

faceless@iquest.net

#17129 - 01/08/01 08:42 PM Re: Poly 800
Anonymous
Unregistered

To the Poly owners how close is this unit to a Poly6. I wanted to get a Poly6 and if its still avail freakboy and you dont want it let me know on the board here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online