SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#171066 - 07/10/03 08:30 PM Re: What Should I Get?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Wow Bryan..... you're opening a huge can of worms here. I can't speak for anyone else, but I am SURE that I could find at least 10 ways to benifit from the added features in the 2k over the 740.
For starters:
1)sound system - no contest
2)vocal processor - no contest
3)sounds - HUGE improvement in some ares
4)navigation - large screen
5)insert effects ....

I'll stop at these 5 and leave room for some others who " don't use a tenth of what's available on their keyboards.."

I, for one .... use EVERYthing I can in each keyboard I buy. That 10% comment was a little underestimated, I think. If you read these post alot, you'll learn alot about how others use these instruments to make life on stage much easier !

#171067 - 07/10/03 09:08 PM Re: What Should I Get?
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Bryan

I went from a PSR530 to a PSR740 and thought it was a big improvement. Then I got a PSR2000 and let me tell you - it's a fantastic improvement over the 740. At first, I missed some things. But the sound - wow! It is really a great deal better. I'm not a pro, but I know what I hear and the difference is there.

Tom G.

[This message has been edited by TomTomSF (edited 07-10-2003).]

#171068 - 07/11/03 01:22 AM Re: What Should I Get?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I went from a PSR630 to a PSR2000. Huge superiority in sounds and features, and far easier to navigate live.

#171069 - 07/11/03 06:39 AM Re: What Should I Get?
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Yes, I opened a can of worms all right just to see the response. It certainly got people to make some good comments. Even so, I didn't find the 2000 to be all that much better than the 740. And I didn't like having to fight my way around all those menus and screens. And no telephone type keypad which I use a great deal. As some of you know, I paid very close attention to the details of the 740 and 2000 when I did the updates for XGworks and there weren't too many changes from one to the other in that regard. I did notice a significant difference between the 740 and 9000 however, and was almost tempted to get the 9000 but lack of funds and the fact that the 740 was adequate for my needs stopped me from upgrading. Besides, the 740 makes a very good sound when hooked up to an external amp and speakers, particularly my 600W/channel amp and speakers to match.

As for the 10%, unless you're using a realtime sysex editor like XGworks, most of the synth is unavailable at the keyboard, though I noticed that the 2000 was a big improvement in this respect, providing some access to the DSPs. On the 740 all I can do at the keyboard is select some of the preset effects and only change the wet/dry parameter. No access at all to the Variation DSP except for style recording. With XGworks (with my updates) I can get at the entire synth, all 5 DSPs, all the parameters, with up to 16 for each effect, all the multipart and the A/D input. Just like having a young MU100 with a built in keyboard.

Bryan

[This message has been edited by Pilot (edited 07-11-2003).]

#171070 - 07/11/03 07:09 AM Re: What Should I Get?
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
The main reason I want to upgrade the psr-740 is I want to work more with user styles and to be honest the psr-740 is pathetic in how it handles user styles. I know that the psr-740 is a good keyboard, but it does hinder my ability to work with user styles. I am happy with several sounds on the psr-740, and I have a motif rack to compliment the 740's sounds that in my opinion falls a little short. Also, I was using a Studiologic SL880 88 key controller with the Digitech Vocalist VR in conjunction with the psr-740. I really want the capability of having many user styles to work with.

#171071 - 07/11/03 07:38 AM Re: What Should I Get?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Buy the 2000 or the 2100 and you'll never use the 740 again. I have two 740s and a pair of 2000s, and believe me there is no comparison--especially when it comes to handing styles. Accessing styles from a floppy with the 740 takes forever and there are several steps to load them. With the 2000, just push the user button and you can select from a dozen that you've stored in the keyboard's memory, or up to 60 that can be stored on a floppy disk. In both instances, access time average just a second or two at best. Last night, while performing for 600 roudy folks in Ocean City, MD, I used dozens of styles directly from disks and the dead time between songs was less than three seconds at most. You could never do that with the 740.

Buy the 2000 or 2100 and never look back!

Garty

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#171072 - 07/11/03 08:06 AM Re: What Should I Get?
Pilot Offline

Well it just goes to show that everyone's needs are different and that you can't make recommendations unless the requirements are more specific. I don't need a whole bunch of styles other than the few I have so the 740 is OK for me. Still, it brought everyone out of the woodwork and made a good debate.

Bryan

#171073 - 07/11/03 11:09 AM Re: What Should I Get?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Bryan,
Unless you actually know "most people" or "most psr users" I'd suggest that you refrain from quoting what their behavior is. Regardless of the validity of your post, it was irresponsible of you to assume how any of us use anything. My Mom was always good at quoting "madeup numbers" .... like:

"90% of all teens are ......."
or
"Half of the couples in this town are ...."

I'm trying not to generalize so much. As a full time musician .... I truly do try to use as many of the features that are available to me in my instruments, and I'm sure many hobyists do, as well.

All the best to you, and keep enjoying your 740. It still has a lot to offer, especially if you don't need to rely on the internal speakers or mic input.

#171074 - 07/11/03 11:30 AM Re: What Should I Get?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Pilot,
Every time I read your positive posts about using XGWorks, and how it will unleash the synth power of the keyboard I get really anxious to try that editor. I have XG Works, and MIDI cables. All I need now is a PC. Looking for a laptop.
Starkeeper

#171075 - 07/11/03 03:52 PM Re: What Should I Get?
Pilot Offline

Mom.. I mean Uncle Dave

Thank you for the advice. I'll bear it in mind. You're right about the mic input. I'm about to upgrade it as it's not the greatest design in the world.

Starkeeper

I got my laptop at @computers plus in Burlington for $600. It's an IBM 380Z, PII 300MHz and 96MB. I don't know if there's one in TO but you might want to check it out.

Bryan

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online