SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#170542 - 07/17/05 05:29 PM 3K.....Disappointed?
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Well...last night I used my 3K for the first time and I must say I was disappointed. I think I know what the problem is but let me explain. Last night I used my 3K not as a OMB but, as a member of the band. There was a drummer, sax, and me. I played left hand bass with the right hand playing different sounds. I think the problem is the voices in the 3K are stereo and I was playing in mono. The piano sounded the worst. No depth, no good high end. The strings weren't that good either. When I play the 3K at home with it's own built in speakers it sounds great.
I know Gary, you had a similar problem when you switched to your Bose speakers. If that's true how did you fix that problem?
Next week I have a job as a OMB and I don't think I'll have the same problem since I'll be playing in stereo.
This was really frustrating last night because I've been using the Technics KN1000 and it always sounded great. Of course the sounds on that instrument are dated now and I think the sounds are mono, but I'm not sure.

I was wondering if I'll have to reset the EQ just for playing a "Mono" job or find different sounds that are mono and not stereo...or perhaps both?

I also want to thank you John_Ca for all the help you've been giving me over Skype. Very much appreciated.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Peter

#170543 - 07/17/05 05:39 PM Re: 3K.....Disappointed?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I had the KN1000 and it does have some very good sounds and it did sound good in mono.

The Yamaha PSR3000 and Tyros are a bit different, in that for the very best sound, you will want to play in stereo if using a standard PA. The PSR2000 and Tyros sounded very bad to me in mono.

I have heard that the Bose PAS will work ok in mono if you use voices that are not as good as the Live or Mellow Grand, and/or if you tweak the sounds. I have not heard it myself, so I am only stating what those Bose owners have said. But, then again that Bose system runs $2000 for mono.

Best
Scott

#170544 - 07/17/05 06:10 PM Re: 3K.....Disappointed?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There were two components to solving the problem. First, the 3000's mono (L/R)output is a psuedo mono--not a true mono output. Consequently the sound is not really a combination of the two channels. I combined the two outputs in the by running both outputs to two channels of the PAS system with identical settings--what a difference.

While the piano sound was still not as good as it would have sounded in full stereo, it was OK. The next step was to select the GM Grand Piano, then tune, tweak and perfect the sound so it sounded even better than the Live Grand Piano sound. This was done using the keyboard's onboard sound creator, which does an excellent job. The sound was then saved to the user area, which can be selected just as easily as any other sound.

The one thing I highly recommend is tuning the 3000's Master EQ to the sound system you are using. Every system is different and must be treated accordingly. I use different settings for the PAS than I use for the Logitech Z-5500, and a completely different setting for the Barbaettas. No two systems are alike, and this often applies to identical PA systems.

Spend some time tuning the EQs with the system you are working with. Do it in a large room, and record a midi file using the 3000, one that used all the instruments you would normally use. Then play that midi file while you walk around the room, make some EQ changes on the Master EQ, and walk around the room again. It takes time, but after a few trys you'll find the sound you'll like. Then, save the settings, write them down on a piece of paper to be safe, then you'll enjoy that next gig a lot more.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#170545 - 07/18/05 08:10 AM Re: 3K.....Disappointed?
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Guys...thanks for replying.

Scott, yes the Technics did sound good in mono but, now it's on to the 3K.(progress) I don't use the Bose system although I hear it's very good.
I'll continue working with my present set up which is a Sound Tech speaker, which has a 15" bass and a horn. I use a Walter Woods amp. This set up sounds great when I'm playing with a band.

Gary,I didn't know the mono output on the 3K is not a true mono. I'm gonna try your suggestion of using the two outputs on the 3K going to two imputs of my mixer.
I'm also going to try all your suggestions from using the GM Grand Piano to adjusting the EQ for my different set ups. I think it's going to work out fine. Like you said I'm going to have to keep playing with it until it's right. It was a little frustrating using the 3K for the first time in that partictular setting especially since it sounded so good at home. I don't think I'll have the same problem when I do the OMB and play in stereo. I'll keep you posted as to my progress.
Thanks again, you guys, for your help.

Peter

#170546 - 07/18/05 09:00 AM Re: 3K.....Disappointed?
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Peter, You live in Boynton Beach Florida, if that's so give me a call. I live in West Palm.
561 616-5858

John C.

I had a PSR2100, Psr3000 and now a Tyros and a KN7000.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online