SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#169690 - 07/07/03 02:52 PM Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Anyone own, or ever tried out an Ultimate Support brand: 'Apex Plus' model AX-48BP keyboard stand?
http://www.ultimatesupport.com/apexplus.html

I currently utilize a Quiklok 'Monolith' or Quiklok 'X type' stand for my Yamaha Tyros keyboard, but curious now how the 'Apex Plus' (AX48BP) compares.

The Apex Plus weighs 19 lbs (certainly not the lightest around) and isn't cheap (list $320, street approx: $160), but I'm drawn by its sleek stylish 'all in one piece' column design, impressive visually on stage, its potentially quick & easy transport & setup time, and that it also includes a mic boom.

Ok, so how stable is the Apex Plus, and is there much of a chance of experiencing keyboard bounce holding a lightweight 27 lb keyboard such as the Tyros? Also, just how long does it actually take to setup/breakdown?

Feedback from people who've had any experience with this stand would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

#169691 - 07/07/03 03:53 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello.

I have 2 of those Apex stands but with the standard tribars, not the good ones in that image. Simply put… they are the best I have ever used. They are extremely stable, much more so than expensive X stands.

X stands tent to wobble like hell when you play your keyboard hard, and especially if you have two heavy keyboards on them like I do. My Trinity and a Triton Studio would be on my main Apex stand and it’s a million times more stable than any X stand I have ever owned. And they are two rather heavy keyboards.

The only single problem with them is if someone walks up to you at a gig and leans on the far top corner of your keyboard, the keyboard will tilt up.

But once your aware of this, it will never happen. My instant reaction is to always cover my keyboards when anyone from the public approaches me at a gig anyway.

Beer and electronics don’t go together.

However…. The new Tribars on that exact stand your referring to are also much better than the original design. Someone would really have to lean hard on your keyboard.

Regards.
Sharp.

#169692 - 07/07/03 05:08 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, they are not that bad, I have been using them since they came out..They have a bad spot if you lean on the corner as mentioned, but I use real keyboards that have a little weight to them, and they stay put..Warranty is the absolute best in the business, they replace any part free of charge including shipping, usually overnite. They are friendly and courtious..I would recommend the company.. I am using the Super Apex currently in our band, as the girl keyboardist is using one too..

#169693 - 07/07/03 05:24 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I use real keyboards that have a little weight to them, and they stay put

1) Ok, do you think the 27 pounds light Tyros is sufficiently heavy to keep it staying put on the Apex Plus stand without it accidently bouncing around (or even off?)

2) What optimum keyboard 'depth' were the Apex's tribars (arms) designed for? My Tyros keyboard is 16.85" deep so it's important that the tribars (arms) provide maximum area coverage 'unerneath' the kb, yet not protrude past the front of the keyboard. I assume that this won't be a problem, right?1) I realize that the legs as well as tribars (arms) can be conveniently stored inside the stand's hollow column. Is there also enough room in the column to store the mic boom as well?

3) In addition to optionally disassmbling the legs and storing them inside the columnn, can the stand's legs instead, be folded up (remaining attached to the bottom of the columm)?

4) The ads say the Apex Stand can be setup/broken down in seconds. Does this mean like a minute or two, or can this be accomplished in less time: under 20 seconds?

James & Fran. Thanks again for taking the time to fill me in with additional info on the Ultimate Support Apex Plus.

- Scott

#169694 - 07/07/03 05:28 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
trtjazz Offline

If someone sits at this stand....isn't that column going to block their face from the audience? Looks like a stand one could only stand at to play to me.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#169695 - 07/07/03 05:31 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
If someone sits at this stand....isn't that column going to block their face from the audience? Looks like a stand one could only stand at to play to me.
Terry

I guess that's why it's called a stand.

#169696 - 07/07/03 05:46 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Scott,

It is perfect for gigging. I use the Apex exclusively. I find it easy to setup and break down. I find it very solid with either my Tyros or both my Triton and the Tyros. It's easy to carry to the car and I like the way it keeps my pedals from creeping on me.

I think you can also add another tier for a total of 3 tiers for your in-home studio if you want. I haven't tried it with the microphone stand.

I would buy another in a minute.

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#169697 - 07/07/03 06:08 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Fran Carango Offline

Scott the super bar gives a full 16" or so projection, plenty support for my G1000[about 16" dept as your Tyros, 27lbs will be stable. The keyboard will never walk, there are rubber skids on the bars,, The center gravity is also good..20 seconds is very possible to break down, and yes the bottom bars collapse and slide into the housing, in fact they are not removalble..Top height is 48"..Don Mason can be seated and show his face..You and I , no way..But I am a stander anyway..

#169698 - 07/07/03 07:10 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Scott... the Apex is indeed a very slick and stable stand. I do not have the 16" bars or the mic boom, but the design is the same. Setup, breakdown time is certainly under 30, if not 20 seconds. The built in handle makes transport very convenient.

One possible problem has to do with the several outs of your keyboard, since the stand column is 5" and covers the middle of the back of the KB... and it is preferable to have the KB flush against the column for stability. With my XD9, I had to off-center the keyboard ~ 4" in order to access all outs - not acceptable. With my SD1, I must off-set the KB 1 1/2" to access MIDI, sustain, and volume outs. The 16" bars and L shaped patch plugs would probably help... and allow the KB to be perfectly centered.

Hope this helps

#169699 - 07/07/03 08:04 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Fran Carango Offline

With the extended arms it is no problem..You can move the keyboard forward a couple inches and still not effect the center of gravity.. I move my Roland forward to accomadate the scsi cable[smack in the middle of the board]..

#169700 - 07/07/03 08:52 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've had one almost tip too many times for my comfort. I also had trouble fitting on certain tight stages because of the base design. The stand itself is very well made and stylish, but transport is awkward. It doesn't stack well because of the shape and it's kind of heavy if you walk with it more than a few feet from your car.

Sitting at this stand definatly has some "sight line" issues, but the overall sturdiness and convienience factor is very favorable to many.

I would not recommend it to a seated performer, and it does tend to bounce a "little" when you pound at the edges of the kb. The center of gravity is a very small fulcrum. It can make a great springboard of your keyboard if there are enough people around it !

#169701 - 07/08/03 12:02 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
ReneT Offline

Loc: NL
Hello Scott,

I do own one!
And I love it because it's very small to transport compared to my previous Quiklok 642 stand which I'm using at home.
As you know I ordered my Tyros last week so I can't send pics of the "Tyros and Apex" couple but you'll get them soon.
However I have to agree that a x-type is more stable but the Apex does a good job supporting it's keys.

Regards

René

#169702 - 07/08/03 09:27 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I find it very solid with either my Tyros or both my Triton and the Tyros. It's easy to carry to the car and I like the way it keeps my pedals from creeping on me.

Hi Al: Are you able to 'center' position the Tyros on the Apex stand without its column blocking any of the Tyros line outputs: main (L/L+R) or sub (1/2)?

The Apex's feet placement positioned to keep foot pedals from wandering adrift sounds like a BIG plus !

Quote:
the bottom bars collapse and slide into the housing

Fran: This sounds even better than I initially imagined.

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
The built in handle makes transport very convenient.

Glenn: Sounds like a nice convenient feature. How is the handle designed? Is it a comfortable grip?

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
It doesn't stack well because of the shape and it's kind of heavy if you walk with it more than a few feet from your car.

Dave: I had thought the 'all in one' unit column shape/design of the Apex would be more condusive to stacking than a double braced X stand. Please explain what about the Apex makes it not very stackable.

I also thought double braced X stands weigh nearly the same as the Apex. The Quiklok 642 weighs 18 lbs and with the QLX-4 mic boom, adds another 2.4 lbs, bringing the total weight over 20 lbs.
http://www.quiklok.com/search_list.taf?_function=detail&Layout_0_uid1=50

Uncle Dave, do you transport your X keyboard stand with the Quiklok mic boom unit kept attached to the kb stand?

I think the Apex's mic boom unit may be a bit lighter than the QLX-4 because it only consists of the boom itself, while the QLX-4 also requires that additional attachment unit.

Quote:
Originally posted by ReneT:
As you know I ordered my Tyros last week so I can't send pics of the "Tyros and Apex" couple but you'll get them soon.

ReneT: I'm confident that you're going to love the Tyros as much as I do. Look forward to seeing pics of your new Apex-Tyros setup.

Ok, though I'm going to continue to take the Quiklok Monolith stand for larger all night venues, I'm still seriously considering purchasing the Apex (with mic boom) especially for those quickie transport setup/breakdown gigs. I particularly like: the built in mic boom feature, legs positioned to perform double duty as a foot pedal guard to keep pedals from going adrift, and the clean sleek visual stage presentation it provides for the almost standing height (seated/leaning on a high stool) position performing I do, which I'd expect the column not to block the line of vision. My only reservation is the degree of keyboard stability the Apex offers. I guess it's time to give the Apex a first hand audition. Thanks again to everyone for your valued feedback and input.

Scott

#169703 - 07/08/03 09:32 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Uncle Dave Offline

Scott,
The stand is a permanent "Triangle" shape in it's closed position, and the mic boom pertruded off the side. (actually DOWN the side) It will lay flat, but it makes it hard to stach something next to it because of the small perimiter.
I keep the mic boom AND laptop arms attached in transit ..... it makes for a quicker setup and less to look for when I arrive.
1)set up the stand
2)hang the rack bag
3)place the kb on to
4)plug in howevermany spkrs I will use.

All the wires are in the bag for any size job, and the setup is the same except for amps. Make my life easier.

#169704 - 07/08/03 09:45 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
With the extended arms it is no problem..You can move the keyboard forward a couple inches and still not effect the center of gravity

Fran... that's good to know. Do you know if the 16" arms and mic boom are adaptable to the original "Apex Regular"? I would think the exptnded arms would work, but not fit into the column, right?

Scott... the handle is built in and folds in or out (for when carrying)... very convenient.

#169705 - 07/08/03 09:56 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I've seen a number of comments concerning "drifting" foot pedals ... Have any of you tried folding duct tape so that the adhesive is on the 'outside', and putting that under the pedal ... it's worked for me for years....
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 07-08-2003).]

#169706 - 07/08/03 09:58 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Dnj Offline

scott,

buy one from a dealer with a 30 day return policy.....try it and keep it if you like it?

#169707 - 07/08/03 10:16 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Fran Carango Offline

The oversized bars have a small rib that keeps it from using with the standard arm block mount..No sweat, I used a half round file and notched it away in less than a minute,,now they are interchangable..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 07-08-2003).]

#169708 - 07/08/03 10:32 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
scott,
buy one from a dealer with a 30 day return policy.....try it and keep it if you like it?

Hi Donny: I just did one better. I went ahead & ordered the Ultimate Support 'Apex PLUS' from: Muisc123.com, and it includes a 45 day 'risk free' return policy.

I'll be sure to let you know what I think of it. Stay tuned. - Scott

#169709 - 07/08/03 10:35 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Dnj Offline

Scotty,

Your a real Shrewdy and a Man of Action!!!!
I hope you enjoy it, you wont really know until you use it on stage, pack it away for a few gigs ....

Good luck!!

#169710 - 08/07/03 10:44 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Scottyee Offline

I've auditioned the Ultimate Support keyboard stand (Apex Plus with mic boom) for almost a month now.
http://ultimatesupport.com/apexplus.html

I purchased it from Music123 (Dan Seda, x1166) which included a 45 day no risk returnable option.

After having used it with my Yamaha Tyros on a number of gigs now, I've decided it's definitely a KEEPER!

I think the Apex Plus perfectly compliments the Yamaha Tyros as it's new longer 18" tribar arms extend out to fully support the Tryos the complete distance from front to back, as well as left to right, to support most all of the keyboard lengthwise as well. In addition, the stand's center column doesn't obstruct any audio/midi outputs on the back of the Tyros as the keyboard has no outputs in its center area Though I realize this was not the case, the Apex stand appears to have been 'custom designed' specifically for the Tyros as even the back (audience view) of the keyboard (sitting on the stand) allows the Tyros logo to appear completely unobstructed, with 'Yamaha' appearing on the left side of the columm, and 'Tyros' appearing on the right side. The dark brown/black column's anglar design also matches the same style & color theme of the Tyros as well. On stage, the Tyros/Apex combination looks both sleek and professional. The look is a big step up from my Quiklok X style Stand, which to me looks more suitable for an 'ironing board' demonstration at the local County Fair rather than a pro music show. A BIG plus I like about the Apex stand is that its legs keep the foot pedal(s) from getting away from you. When I perform, I prefer sitting/leaning on a raised stool as this allows me to access footpedals more efficiently, as I sometimes need to be holding down one (sustain) while pressing another (fill self or vocal on/off). Even in this elevated sitting position, the Apex column height doesn't obstruct my view of the audience, or them of me (my head). Also ,the mic boom conveniently attaches to the upper part of the column making for a great looking all in one keyboard stand/mic boom package.

Ok, so what are my beefs about the Apex stand? The stand is not as lightweight as I'd prefer. It's nearly 19 lbs, but then again it's no heavier than a similarly rugged double braced X stand with added mic boom, and weighs a little less the Quiklok Monolith stand. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the amount of keyboard bounce (with the 18" tribars) was minimal but I concur with reports from others that the keyboard can become unstable if you lean againest the upper top left or right portion of the keyboard where the tribars are not directly supporting. My only other complaint is that the built in 'flip down' carrying handle is not very comfortable or ergonomically shaped to hold.

In conclusion, I highly recommend the Ultimate Support Apex 'plus' stand with mic boom, and especially if you own the Tyros and require an impressive stage presence as I do. The stand is rugged and should last a lifetime, and setup time is relatively quick (under 20-25 seconds). In my studio, I park my Tyros on a Quiklok Monolith stand as it provides ultimate stability, but for stage performance I'm now taking the Apex stand, and I'm getting lots of compliments not only on my music and showmanship , but on how professional & sleek my Tyros with columm stand look together as well. Our music & showmanship is #1, but how we look as well as our equipment looks on stage, creates an equally important visual impact as well. - Scott

#169711 - 08/07/03 11:23 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Dnj Offline

Scott, It's nice to hear that your enjoying your new APEX KB Stand. Can you post some Digital Pictures of it in action? or send them to me for posting here on the SZ, it would be nice to see your new rig setup.

Good Luck

#169712 - 08/07/03 12:37 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Uncle Dave Offline

I hope you never have that awful feeling that I experienced once, when a customer bumped the stand at the perfect angle to topple it inwards. That was the last time I used mine. I would never be able to walk away from it on a break.
I always liked the looks of it, but the bounce factor is definatly higher than my "Ironing board"
Hope you feel tha same after the 45 days are up !

#169713 - 08/07/03 07:23 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Scottyee Offline

UD, I certainly understand & appreciate your concern. One thing I never risk is leaving my keyboard setup unattended in an exposed public area, especially a bar venue, where customers could have easy access to it. Not only does this lead to the problem you described, but other risks include: customers spilling drinks (or food) on/in it, falling over onto it , playing it , or worse yet, knocking it over , no matter what X,Y, or Z stand it's sitting on. For gigs involving breaks, I insist that there be a specific stage area (or platform riser) provided to which patrons (audience) are not given access/approach. For casual parties & gatherings of friends & family, I'll probably continue to using my funky 'ironing board' style X stand, but for special event performance, the Apex is my stand of choice now. I think I got more keyboard stands than keyboards now. - Scott

#169714 - 08/07/03 07:41 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
No Apex for me. I had the same experience as UD. The stand simply tips over too easily.
DVJ

#169715 - 08/08/03 02:10 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott,

Thanks for your impressions on using the APEX stand (AX48BP Plus). As you seem to dislike the carrying handle, Ultimate sells a nylon gig bag that should fit the stand perfectly (Ultimate BAG 502). It sells around 25 Euros, in Europe (german online stores).

I have a question, a little outside the topic. What's your solution regarding music racks/stands that you use with your APEX/Tyros? I don't like the Tyros music rack, because of the brackets (seem easy to break in a flightcase or in a keyboard bag), the high position, and the lack of height to accomodate a lamp holder (Quiklok MS 307). Also, I would be willing the know the solution that other Tyros users found regarding dim light conditions. Goose neck lights, lamp holders? How do you attach them to the music racks/keyboard?

Thanks in advance!

-- José.

#169716 - 08/08/03 06:51 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hello Scott,

Here's a zoom-in on the base of the Apex stand.

So is the little thing-a-ma-bob at the base the support for keeping the stand from tipping in the direction that UD is talking about? Clearly the other sides are supported by the legs but I too wonder what keeps it from coming back into the player.

Does it rely on the forward slope of the whole unit and that little stopper at the base?

It does look cool though!

mike

#169717 - 08/08/03 08:02 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Dnj Offline

Sorry,.....I agree with Uncle Dave....
Murphy's Law is in effect here Big Time!!!

#169718 - 08/08/03 08:52 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
We'll as my inalienable right to dis-agree, I humbly do so. I've gigged 120 times in all venues including 4 on a bobbing and weaving Barge on the Hudson River called Gully's. Every time a vessel motors past the barge, the waves send the barge rocking back and forth and up and down. NEVER ONCE has the Apex stand tipped forward toward me during these conditions and on occaisions when someone bumped into it.

The little thing-a-ma-bobby DOES in fact push resistence to the front of the unit, which is where all the weight is distributed. If it is NOT adjusted correctly, you surely will have problems, but I find it perfectly stable. I do find it more stable with more weight resting on it. Only having the Tyros on the stand might not be enough weight to keep it stable.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#169719 - 08/08/03 09:21 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
So is the little thing-a-ma-bob at the base the support for keeping the stand from tipping in the direction that UD is talking about?

Hi Mike: That thing-a-ma-bob piece you're talking about is used to keep the stand from tipping in the direction of the player, and adjustable to accomodate carpeting or uneven floors. This though is 'unrelated' to the issue that Uncle Dave and others, (myself included) are referring to.

The Apex stand utilizes 2 bars (tribars) which are mounted to the center column, each projecting out at 45 degree angles. The keyboard sits on top of these 2 bars. The Tyros keyboard is solidly supported by these bars, but a problem occurs if you press down really hard in the far upper right or far upper left corners of the keyboard. The opposite corner of the kb will pop 'up' because there is no support by the tribars directly underneath the upper right or upper left portions of the kb. I definitely DON'T recommend utilizing the Apex stand in a situation where people have free access to the keyboard setup, especially if left unattended, but for stage performance type situations, or when you don't need to leave your equipment unattended, the Apex stand really shines, as it's sturdy & solid, and creates a sleek clean professional looking visual presentation. My opinion is that X type stands, Column Style (Apex) stands, as well as the Quiklok Monolith stand ALL have different advantages/disadvantages. I own all 3 types because I like having the option of utilizing a particular type stand best suited for a given situation. Just call me a keyboard stand 'junkie' I suppose.

Quote:
Originally posted by matias:
What's your solution regarding music racks/stands that you use with your APEX/Tyros? Also, I would be willing the know the solution that other Tyros users found regarding dim light conditions. Goose neck lights, lamp holders? How do you attach them to the music racks/keyboard?

hi José, I agree with you about the Tyros music rack and think it's not very well designed or rugged. For many of my gigs now, I don't utilize a music stand or take along music, but play by memory (or ear) as a music stand (& music) can be distracting to the audience. When I do utilize a music stand though, I take a along a lightweight portable music stand which can quickly be placed/removed behind the keyboard when needed.

To illuminate the music on the stand, I have used, and recommend either the clip on tiny gooseneck style halogen lamp made by Litelight:
http://www.littlite.com/products.php?category=1

or Concertlite II by Lampcraft: http://www.lampcraft.com/product.htm

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Only having the Tyros on the stand might not be enough weight to keep it stable.
Al

hi Al, My experience with the Apex stand & Tyros is that the Tyros is sufficently heavy to remain stable on the stand, especially because the new longer 18" tribars fully support from the rear center of the Tyros all the way to the front edge of the keyboard, supporting the keyboard almost fully across the front (lengthwise) as well.

Btw: I'm curious if the people here who've experienced keyboard instability were using the shorter 13" tribars or the new longer 18" ones. Using the 18" tribars really make a big difference in offering much better stability.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-08-2003).]

#169720 - 08/08/03 01:07 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Scott,

Thanks for the explanation...I got it now.

I must of misinterpreted UD's message.

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
...when a customer bumped the stand at the perfect angle to topple it inwards.

He must have meant the keyboard toppled, not the stand.

Have a nice weekend everybody!!!!

mike

#169721 - 08/08/03 02:38 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Uncle Dave Offline

Nope...the STAND toppled because of a poor center of gravity. There is a 45 degree angle that you can easily knock that unit over if hit from EITHER side. The little brace in the front won't stop it either.
The kb is much easier to knock off the stand as well, but I'm talking TOTAL fallout here.
Beware !!!

#169722 - 08/08/03 03:30 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
danb Offline

Hi Scott! I got the same Apex stand that you have right now. I've been using it for almost 10 years and never experience any problems at all. I used it with three keyboards before but now I decided to use it with 2 because I am minimizing my set up as much as possible. You're right, never leave your gear unattended coz' a lot of things might happened no matter how strong your stand is. Just make sure you put it in a flat and even surface. Don't set up your stand in between the two platforms they use in the hotel's ballroom, they are uneven most of the time. Don't use it in the cruise line gig. The boat tends to sway in both side and it's not good for this setup. Otherwise, the Apex stand is nice and easy to set up. I saw some of these in different colors. Mine is black but I'm thinking of painting it with metallic yellow or neon blue, kinda like glow in the dark stand. Colors will add your presence on the stage. I can see it'll match with my silver Triton and black Roland controller.

Dan

#169723 - 08/09/03 06:20 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I have an Apex with regular bars and a mic boom. To address a few items I have read: the mic boom is terrific
the little foot 'thing-a-ma-bob' does help to level the stand
it is difficult to stack keyboards mainly because it becomes hard to see the LCD screen and some of the controls of the bottom keyboard
sitting at behind the Apex does block both the view of the player and the audience, so standing is the best option

I'm looking for a good way to put my laptop on the upper braces without obscuring the PSR2000 display. I have a wooden shelf, but think that a clear, plexiglass shelf might solve the problem, but I can't find anything thick or affordable enough to do the trick. Any ideas?

#169724 - 08/09/03 07:01 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Uncle Dave Offline

If you use a shelf.....I'd make sure that the shelf, itself is fastened to the teirs with velcro or a strap so the weight on either end can't turn it into a catupult.
I also recomend using some kind of fastener for the laptop too..... that setup makes me VERY nervous. Be careful.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online