SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#169690 - 07/07/03 02:52 PM Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Anyone own, or ever tried out an Ultimate Support brand: 'Apex Plus' model AX-48BP keyboard stand?
http://www.ultimatesupport.com/apexplus.html

I currently utilize a Quiklok 'Monolith' or Quiklok 'X type' stand for my Yamaha Tyros keyboard, but curious now how the 'Apex Plus' (AX48BP) compares.

The Apex Plus weighs 19 lbs (certainly not the lightest around) and isn't cheap (list $320, street approx: $160), but I'm drawn by its sleek stylish 'all in one piece' column design, impressive visually on stage, its potentially quick & easy transport & setup time, and that it also includes a mic boom.

Ok, so how stable is the Apex Plus, and is there much of a chance of experiencing keyboard bounce holding a lightweight 27 lb keyboard such as the Tyros? Also, just how long does it actually take to setup/breakdown?

Feedback from people who've had any experience with this stand would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

#169691 - 07/07/03 03:53 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello.

I have 2 of those Apex stands but with the standard tribars, not the good ones in that image. Simply put… they are the best I have ever used. They are extremely stable, much more so than expensive X stands.

X stands tent to wobble like hell when you play your keyboard hard, and especially if you have two heavy keyboards on them like I do. My Trinity and a Triton Studio would be on my main Apex stand and it’s a million times more stable than any X stand I have ever owned. And they are two rather heavy keyboards.

The only single problem with them is if someone walks up to you at a gig and leans on the far top corner of your keyboard, the keyboard will tilt up.

But once your aware of this, it will never happen. My instant reaction is to always cover my keyboards when anyone from the public approaches me at a gig anyway.

Beer and electronics don’t go together.

However…. The new Tribars on that exact stand your referring to are also much better than the original design. Someone would really have to lean hard on your keyboard.

Regards.
Sharp.

#169692 - 07/07/03 05:08 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, they are not that bad, I have been using them since they came out..They have a bad spot if you lean on the corner as mentioned, but I use real keyboards that have a little weight to them, and they stay put..Warranty is the absolute best in the business, they replace any part free of charge including shipping, usually overnite. They are friendly and courtious..I would recommend the company.. I am using the Super Apex currently in our band, as the girl keyboardist is using one too..

#169693 - 07/07/03 05:24 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I use real keyboards that have a little weight to them, and they stay put

1) Ok, do you think the 27 pounds light Tyros is sufficiently heavy to keep it staying put on the Apex Plus stand without it accidently bouncing around (or even off?)

2) What optimum keyboard 'depth' were the Apex's tribars (arms) designed for? My Tyros keyboard is 16.85" deep so it's important that the tribars (arms) provide maximum area coverage 'unerneath' the kb, yet not protrude past the front of the keyboard. I assume that this won't be a problem, right?1) I realize that the legs as well as tribars (arms) can be conveniently stored inside the stand's hollow column. Is there also enough room in the column to store the mic boom as well?

3) In addition to optionally disassmbling the legs and storing them inside the columnn, can the stand's legs instead, be folded up (remaining attached to the bottom of the columm)?

4) The ads say the Apex Stand can be setup/broken down in seconds. Does this mean like a minute or two, or can this be accomplished in less time: under 20 seconds?

James & Fran. Thanks again for taking the time to fill me in with additional info on the Ultimate Support Apex Plus.

- Scott

#169694 - 07/07/03 05:28 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
trtjazz Offline

If someone sits at this stand....isn't that column going to block their face from the audience? Looks like a stand one could only stand at to play to me.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#169695 - 07/07/03 05:31 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
If someone sits at this stand....isn't that column going to block their face from the audience? Looks like a stand one could only stand at to play to me.
Terry

I guess that's why it's called a stand.

#169696 - 07/07/03 05:46 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Scott,

It is perfect for gigging. I use the Apex exclusively. I find it easy to setup and break down. I find it very solid with either my Tyros or both my Triton and the Tyros. It's easy to carry to the car and I like the way it keeps my pedals from creeping on me.

I think you can also add another tier for a total of 3 tiers for your in-home studio if you want. I haven't tried it with the microphone stand.

I would buy another in a minute.

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#169697 - 07/07/03 06:08 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Fran Carango Offline

Scott the super bar gives a full 16" or so projection, plenty support for my G1000[about 16" dept as your Tyros, 27lbs will be stable. The keyboard will never walk, there are rubber skids on the bars,, The center gravity is also good..20 seconds is very possible to break down, and yes the bottom bars collapse and slide into the housing, in fact they are not removalble..Top height is 48"..Don Mason can be seated and show his face..You and I , no way..But I am a stander anyway..

#169698 - 07/07/03 07:10 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Scott... the Apex is indeed a very slick and stable stand. I do not have the 16" bars or the mic boom, but the design is the same. Setup, breakdown time is certainly under 30, if not 20 seconds. The built in handle makes transport very convenient.

One possible problem has to do with the several outs of your keyboard, since the stand column is 5" and covers the middle of the back of the KB... and it is preferable to have the KB flush against the column for stability. With my XD9, I had to off-center the keyboard ~ 4" in order to access all outs - not acceptable. With my SD1, I must off-set the KB 1 1/2" to access MIDI, sustain, and volume outs. The 16" bars and L shaped patch plugs would probably help... and allow the KB to be perfectly centered.

Hope this helps

#169699 - 07/07/03 08:04 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Fran Carango Offline

With the extended arms it is no problem..You can move the keyboard forward a couple inches and still not effect the center of gravity.. I move my Roland forward to accomadate the scsi cable[smack in the middle of the board]..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online