SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#169636 - 05/10/02 02:01 AM My way
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
I have just recorded another song: the beautiful "My way", sung by so many great artists. For this song I have used only the SD1, starting from the choice of the style (DownBeat). The song features the Night Sax, a beautiful choir made of several layered voices and a powerful string ensemble (again multi-layered) plus a few other things that concur to the overall sound. The choice of the instruments and also the arrangement are dictated by the keyboards you use; with the VA7 I'd have used different instruments and of course a different style too (more aggressive maybe). After recording this song I can say that the SD1 has very good strings, especially in the mid range and bass frequencies. I am sorry if the song is rather long (about 4 minutes), but in this case we are dealing with a "classic" and I really couldn't do a "condensed" version...
I would like to dedicate this song to our great Uncle Dave, because I have always thought that it would be very appropriate to his voice.
Please, let me know what you think.
By the way, I am about to record a Rhytm & Blues number, but don't know if anyone is interested in this Forum; again, let me know (in any case I have another song for the Mohawks and a couple of Santana tunes almost ready in my mind...)
Thanks,
Andrea
http://andrearotolo.tripod.com/dreamer/id1.html

#169637 - 05/14/02 06:26 AM Re: My way
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Andrea,
Well, it's finally happened! I've hit the big time! I have a DEDICATION !!!!!!!
(Very flattered, really & truly!)

Andrea, thanx so much for thinking of me. I do, in fact, sing that song quite a bit ... especially in Trenton, NJ where some still believe that Sinatra is a God.

I'm always torn at the end .... Elvis or Frank ... high note or long note .... hmmmmmm
It's a mystery! ( If I feel good, I like to go for the high "G" ... but I need to be careful of how often I dish that note out. ) I really have to work for it. Piano Man, Oklahoma, Nothin' like a Dame, Do you hear the people sing ... they all have that stinkin high "G." Makes me nuts!

I can't lower them any more either, because I'll be in the basement for the rest of the tune! It's tough being a baritone! You Tenors have all the luck!

#169638 - 05/14/02 02:03 PM Re: My way
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Well, strange as it may seem, I had the same problem recording the song with my digital voices. I have used, among others, a preset called "SoulSister", that features a beautiful choir "a la Supremes", but I could only push it up to the "C": after that, it was completely out of range and even the other voices sounded a bit strained. I remember that Sinatra, in his last performances, used to transpose the song down an octave at mid-chorus (he was very clever at doing that without most people noticing); I have tried that too, but didn't like the result... anyway, had I recorded the song with the VA7, I had an idea to hire Carlos Santana to play the chorus: no voice problems there, I guess... maybe it would have been a better idea, because I don't think that most people on this Forum liked my rendition: too "quiet" maybe?

#169639 - 05/14/02 05:54 PM Re: My way
notlos Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi Dreamer,
Nice to see you work hard on your sd1.
i like the different soundvoices you play.
first nightsax than the vocals and strings.
Nice that the sd1 has programvoices with layered sound they sound full !!
Greetings,
Notlos http://www.mp3.com/dirkbaert

------------------

#169640 - 05/14/02 06:34 PM Re: My way
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
I don't think that most people on this Forum liked my rendition: too "quiet" maybe?

NO NO NO ! Don't jump to any conclusions - many people still think the forum is down. I'm sure it's just quiet because we had a few days off. You're efforts are very much appreciated.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online