SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#169501 - 01/14/01 05:15 PM New Roland KF-90 88 key Arranger Info.
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
There is a new Roland keyboard called the KF-90 which has just been released from the CK division. I have included the address if you would like to see a picture and get some information. This is what I have been told so far from the CK sales Rep. I will see this new keyboard at the nammm show later this week.
Roland has taken their FP9 piano, which has been a very popular digital piano with an88 key weighted hammer action and very good stereo piano sampled sounds, and have added most of the sounds from the VA7 and over 130 of Roland styles and put them into this new keyboard. In addition there is a disk drive for smf playback and a vocal harmonizer with vocal effects as well. I am really glad to hear this information as this will be a keyboard that players will be able to bring to jobs as well as having a vocal harmonizer and if you are familiar with the FP9 there is a good quality sound system built in. If you look at the picture, you will wonder where the speakers are. They are on the top, along the back, and are very small but very good quality. I haven't heard this new keyboard yet, but I know from my experience with the FP9 Piano, the sound is very good.
I am quite excited to have an 88 key portable, touch screen arranger from Roland, with a vocal harmonizer, for those that need to sing, and i've been told that many of the new voices from the VA7 will be included.
My rep tells me that these new keyboards are in stock here in the US and a ready to ship as soon as the NAMM show concludes.
There are no published retail prices for this model but I can tell from my wholesale price that it should sell in the same price range as the Generalmusic SK880 and the Solton new SD1 keyboard.
Have a look! http://209.144.99.11/PRODUCTS/CK/CK.HTM
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#169502 - 01/14/01 05:21 PM Re: New Roland KF-90 88 key Arranger Info.
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
George, I played one about 3 months ago at a CK dealer friend in N.J. I liked it a lot, It is identical sound source as the VA-7 with the weighted hammer action..Fran

#169503 - 01/15/01 07:54 PM Re: New Roland KF-90 88 key Arranger Info.
dogman Offline

Loc: arlington, texas, usa
George K., would you give a comparison of this new Roland keyboard and the GEM SK880, with all its bells and whistles. Thank you.

#169504 - 01/15/01 07:59 PM Re: New Roland KF-90 88 key Arranger Info.
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Dogman,
I will be happy to give a comparison as soon as I get my hands on the new Roland. What I can't tell so far is if there is a sequencer on the new Roland. The literature supplied at their website only states smf disk drive. I don't know if there is a 16 track recorder in this keyboard. I will se it at the NAMM show Thursday and I will report back
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#169505 - 01/20/01 10:21 PM Re: New Roland KF-90 88 key Arranger Info.
dogman Offline

Loc: arlington, texas, usa
Hey George, truly no rush, but again, when you get a decent chance, give a little comparison between the new Roland KF 90 and the GEM SK880. Thanks. (Are they a similar beast ?) dogman

#169506 - 01/20/01 10:35 PM Re: New Roland KF-90 88 key Arranger Info.
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi dogman

George and Fran and others may say differently, but I would consider the KF-90 and the GEM SK880 to be very different instruments. Of course, they are both 88-key arrangers with vocal harmony. However, the GEM SK880 has sliders, wheels and aftertouch, sample playback, styles with audio loops (RASS), and mass storage for 1000s of styles. The KF-90 has a more modern sound engine and probably sounds better. I consider the GEM SK880 to be a slightly outdated high-end arranger, while the KF-90 is a digital piano with arranger features. hth

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online