SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#169365 - 04/29/07 05:54 AM Digital Piano Shootout
TommyF Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
For those interested in piano sounds: The Digital Piano Shoutout at Purgatory Creek Studio has been updated with several recordings from arranger keyboards: Yamaha PSR-3000, Yamaha Tyros 2 and Korg Pa800 (the last one supplied by yours truly ). The brand new Yamaha Motif XS is also represented. Read more and listen here (select "Digital Piano Shootout" and go directly to "New Entries).

Thanks to the owner of Purgatory Creek Studio for making this indespensible resource available.

Kind regards,
Tommy

#169366 - 04/30/07 02:46 AM Re: Digital Piano Shootout
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sounds to me like the PSR3k was recorded in mono... And, like most stereo piano sample sets, doesn't collapse to a phase coherent mono. I bet someone with a PSR3k could upload a better, stereo recording....

#169367 - 04/30/07 03:08 AM Re: Digital Piano Shootout
Diki Offline

Not to stir up TOO much controversy (!), but try this... IMMEDIATELY after listening to the T2 piano, go to the Roland page and listen to the FantomX pianos (it's in the G70/E80).

The thing that got my complete attention was, in the quieter passages, there are inside chord voicing details that just came to life on the Roland, and were difficult to pick out on the Yamaha. As the T2 got quieter, it seems more distant than warmer, as if the piano was moved back several feet.

This, I think, reflects my experience with the G70. I find the GrandX patch to have a delightful warmth and clarity at lower velocities, without sacrificing sparkle at higher ones...

Perhaps, in a dense mix, the T2 might 'cut' a little better, but the more exposed you get, the colder the Yamaha feels, IMO.

And, to be honest, I wasn't THAT blown away by the XS's, either. But the Pianoteq's modeled rather than sampled sound was very intriguing, with little in the way of phase 'swimming' and a nice, under-hyped sound. This looks to be quite promising new technology...

#169368 - 04/30/07 04:41 AM Re: Digital Piano Shootout
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The Roland FantomX piano works better for solo piano...the Tyros2 piano works better with styles...

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#169369 - 04/30/07 07:41 PM Re: Digital Piano Shootout
Diki Offline

No offense Ian (I REALLY don't want to start another flame-war!), but I DID make a point of qualifying my remarks as 'in my opinion'.

But I'm sure your statement was meant that way, too....

So far, I have NO problems using the FantomX piano patch in a style (as I said, it's warm at lower velocities, but still quite sparkly at higher ones), plus I have the option of using the new 3-band parametric EQ to sculpt out a little warmth if I need a bit more 'bite'.

Opinions about piano sounds are as varied as the players that play them, so I certainly don't think you are wrong. But simply that you stated an opinion, not a fact...

As I said initially, a VERY telling way to use the Purgatory Creek site is to buzz quickly from one mp3 to another, and A/B them. Has anyone tried this, yet..? What do you think?

A truer, apples to apples comparison does not exist, and I wish there were more sites like this to compare drum kits, bass sounds, saxes, etc., with standardized files.

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way Ian... I am NOT trying to antagonize you, but simply to clarify for any less experienced member surfing in that all ANY of us say is simply opinion. Listening for yourselves, and trying the equipment out yourself is the ONLY way to make up your mind... IMO!

#169370 - 05/01/07 04:19 AM Re: Digital Piano Shootout
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
No offense taken, Diki.....

Of course, it was my own opinion, but like yours, it was formed objectively as an experienced arranger player.

I spend considerable time on the "competitor's" keyboards as part of my job, and my evaluations are objective, as well they should be, if my observations are to be valuable to Yamaha.

I agree that a person should try these sounds themselves, and not completely rely on the opinions of others...listening with an "open ear" as well as an "open mind" is vital in determining what works for each player.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#169371 - 05/01/07 08:03 AM Re: Digital Piano Shootout
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi there.
I've got my E80 in front of me and the T2 and to be honest I don't like the grand piano in either of them.
Is the E80 the same as the G70's, or is it a new sample from another model?
I still like the piano sound that I used to have in my old G1000 (Fran's ears should prick up about now hehe).

It's a pity the piano samples are not too good in most arrangers If Yamaha offered their S90 piano sounds as TVN samples for the T2 that would be an improvement

#169372 - 05/01/07 09:34 AM Re: Digital Piano Shootout
Diki Offline

I think we were told that the E80's samples come from the RD700SX, the G70's from the FantomX, but from listening to them, I have a feeling that the raw samples come from the same sampling session, but have been tweaked a bit differently. Just my opinion, though. Listen for yourself (both pianos are at Purgatory Creek - Fantom and RD, though, no arrangers, yet).

This is the best thing about P. Creek... Got a difference of opinion..? Go listen for yourself, don't listen to US!

#169373 - 05/01/07 10:52 AM Re: Digital Piano Shootout
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Craig..so do I

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online