SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#169155 - 11/02/05 05:40 AM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Keith, Roland started this feature with the DisCover series, and yes the G70 does this as well..

#169156 - 11/02/05 10:37 AM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
While I think my technics kn6000 does a great job with midi files, and allows for 'real time' adjustments and voice changes, I WISH it had the ability to 'mark' certain places in the file to go back to ... I hate it when I am playing a request and the couple finally gets up to dance 8 bars from the end of the tune ...
t.

#169157 - 11/04/05 03:05 AM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just wanted to add...... there's a 'hack' for G70s that adds another multi FX unit.

Just hook the Direct Outs to the External Inputs, and another duplicate MFX section becomes available, with any Keyboard, Style (yes!) and Song part freely assignable to it.

Check out the article here; http://www.selskabsmusikeren.dk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=209&Itemid=28

#169158 - 11/04/05 04:34 AM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
o3bor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KFingers:
Can someone answer me this. On my Tyros I can set loop points in the midis so that I can repeat different sections as much as I want or even jump to an ending (prematurely if the song isn't being well received).

On G-70 you can set 4 Mark&Jump points for your song and directly access them simply pushing a switch.

#169159 - 11/04/05 05:40 AM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:

Esh

Agreed ! I don't see any practical way for me to use Colossus in a live setting either, but I too think that if "Bandstand" can even come close, then for me at least, there will no longer be any need for a hardware sound module.

BTW, other than the plug ins ( AN and VL ), my ES is also now relegated to duty almost exclusively as a controller, albeit a rather expensive one. The main reason is that there are no longer any sounds in any instrument group on the Motif that are comparable to what I have in my software machines.

AJ

I have also found that Colossus has a much lower noise floor than my Motif ES so I can get some amazingly pristine recordings with it that I couldn't with the Motif. I'm on a hunt for the perfect controller to replace the Motif ES with but I haven't settled on one yet.

BTW: have you seen the new Yamaha MO 6/8 synths ? They are stripped-down versions of the Motif ES. They were just announced this week.

[This message has been edited by Esh (edited 11-04-2005).]

#169160 - 11/04/05 05:43 AM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
MikeTV Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by spaghetti:
MikeTV,

thank a lot for your very useful replay!
If you could, you would still choose G-70 (or PA-1XPro)?

Interesting question!

Having already used the VA76 for midifile play for a couple of years, the G70 was an obvious candidate as a replacement, as I knew that it would do the job well. As it happened, a used G70 came up for sale at a very good price a few miles from where I live - so I bought it.

When the PA1x series first came out, it didn't have the same ability to link a particular midifile to an appropriate range of live keyboard part settings for instant recall later (or if it could, it wasn't obvious). For this reason only, I went for the VA76 at the time. The move to the G70 gives me the added convenience of the inbuilt vocal harmoniser and it is generally easier to programme settings than on the VA.

However, the Korg now seems to have come up with an equivalent midifile plus live parts handling ability in it's latest operating system version. This being the case, it would have been top of my list for investigating as the VA76 replacement if a cheap G70 hadn't turned up when it did.

If you have any ambitions to use any of these instruments in "style play" mode, the Korg wins hands down, in my opinion. I would never consider using the VA76 in style play mode as it is virtually impossible to control live. Might possibly use the G70 for simple style based stuff, but nothing ambitious. However - used exclusively in midifile player mode, the winner is less clear cut. Korg is likely to sound better, Roland is likely to be easier to use.

If I had no instrument at all, and was buying new, I would go for the PA1x (standard or pro) as being the better all rounder. It just happened that a cheap G70 turned up first, and suited my main purpose well enough.

Regards - Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeTV (edited 11-04-2005).]

#169161 - 11/04/05 05:44 AM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
MikeTV Offline

Loc: UK
(Sorry - posted in error)

[This message has been edited by MikeTV (edited 11-04-2005).]

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online