Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#169135 - 10/31/05 01:48 PM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Don, does that mean you agree with ne too?

You got it Fran. In fact, the midi file function was about the only thing I did like about the G800. Oh it had some good sounds and styles. In fact, it was pretty good, for a tank!
DonM

#169136 - 10/31/05 02:16 PM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Matter of fact, if you were using an open bed pickup to haul your gear around..the last thing you loaded was the G800...the dead weight kept everything from blowing out!!!

#169137 - 10/31/05 02:25 PM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
Dnj Offline

Yamahas have the WORST SMF playback of any arranger I ever used ...& I've used alot on stage.....
Roland & Ketron Sd-1 & Midjay are tops IMO and they play the right Drum parts well too without any dreaded HAND CLAPS instead of Snare drums Arggggg!!!!!

#169138 - 10/31/05 03:21 PM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
spaghetti Offline

Hi,

thanks a lot for your replay!
I will test "in deep" Midjay and G-70!
Here in Italy also Genesys is very popular: what about Genesys XP vs. Midjay?

Bye

#169139 - 10/31/05 06:09 PM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
First thing that comes to mind...the price difference between the two..

#169140 - 10/31/05 06:30 PM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
Dnj Offline

Sorry but honstly I never heard or played a GEM KB I liked.....but thats me.....the Midjay is the complete opposit.

#169141 - 10/31/05 08:48 PM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I had Roland Va7, Ketron X1, SD1, PSR3000 and Kog PA 60 ( in the last 5 years...) and to my ears the winner for SMF playback is.....Ketron hands down, everything else falls short, at the music store i work, we have GEM.....and I tried the SMF playback, and is not there....to me.

Dito DNJ and Don Mason.

#169142 - 10/31/05 09:15 PM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mdorantes:
I had Roland Va7, Ketron X1, SD1, PSR3000 and Kog PA 60 ( in the last 5 years...) and to my ears the winner for SMF playback is.....Ketron hands down, everything else falls short, at the music store i work, we have GEM.....and I tried the SMF playback, and is not there....to me.

Dito DNJ and Don Mason.

Agreed.....I only go by what I hear when I play it!

#169143 - 11/01/05 01:23 AM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
to the genesys Offline

I would say that Ketron has the best midi file play back then Roland and then the Genesys.

Notice I said Genesys and not Gem keyboards in general. Gem keyboards before the Genesys really did not do justice to sounds nor midi files. But with the Genesys, it selects the best sounds on the keyboard to play the midi file.

The midjay and Genesys xp are keyboard modules, but there are not in the same league. The XP has much more sounds, styles and features than the midjay thus the difference in price. But with most musical equipment purchases, you really have to look around to get the best deal.

#169144 - 11/01/05 02:57 AM Re: Best arranger for midifiles playback
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Even the Motif Es, which is a Yamaha workstation, doesn't do a particularly good job of midifile playback vs the PA80 or anything else I've had in the past. I have Hypercanvas but I'm not all that impressed wityh it. Right now I think my slightly modified SGM180 soundfont chained with mild reverb and chorus effects probably outperforms everything else I have, but the plugsound GM module I've used is even better.

The obvious problem with the Plugsound is that it fails to recognize GM patch and bank changes, and they tell you that it's designed that way. Too bad. Can't wait to see what the new Native Instrument GM module with 2 gb of sounds will be like. It supposedly will recognize patch changes. A few of the guys with the souped up laptops might even become converts then... LOL
But... if it doesn't blow me away, I think the next step will be for me to combine sounds from all the samples and modules I have and make a super soundfont. This will take some time to be sure, but having the SGM180 available to me and being able to pick it apart has hopefully taught me a little about making a good quality soundfont.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 11-01-2005).]

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online