SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#169117 - 10/02/05 05:45 AM Casio Privia PX-555 - $899 88-note Hammer-Action Arranger
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
[img]http://images.jr.com/productimages/CASPX555CS.PNG?CELL=380,380&QLT=67&FTR=3&BGCOLOR=FFFFFF&CVT=jpeg[/img]

I'm surprised that this new Casio arranger isn't already being discussed here since they are in the stores currently and the new Privias have been a hot topic on other keyboard forums. I had a chance to play the new PX-555 yesterday and I was simply blown away by it. This is the best digital piano of any I've played in recent memory. The action is on par with any I've played, including my own Motif ES 8, and the new triple-layer ZPI stereo acoustic piano sound is equally stunning. I think this lightweight and relatively inexpensive keyboard is going to make a believer out of jaded piano professionals (like myself) about Casio keyboards.

The actual specs aren't anything ground-breaking:

# 128 Tones and 128 GM Tones
# 120 Rhythms
# MIDI In/Out
# 8 Digital Effects
# 80 Built-in Songs
# USB Port
# Smartmedia Card Slot for memory card use
# Split Play functions
# 32 Note Polyphony
# Mic Terminal with Volume Control
# Stereo Sampled Piano Tones
# Auto Harmonize
# Auto Accompaniment
# 120 One-Touch Presets
# Lesson Function
# Song Memory (tracks x songs) 2 x 2
# Pitch Bender wheel
# Tuning and Transpose
# Metronome
# Includes AC Adapter and keyboard stand

Also from Casio:
The PX-555 includes a built-in library of 80 favorite tunes from piano classics to Jazz to better help you learn to play, as well as 120 rhythms. The auto accompaniment feature allows players to select from three different accompaniment modes: CASIO CHORD, which enables play of fully formed chords with one finger, FINGERED CHORD, which enables full chord play in the accompaniment range of the keyboard, and FULL-RANGE CHORD, enables chord play anywhere on the keyboard.
The PX-555 also features a large Backlit LCD, a Song Recording mode with a 5,200 note capacity, a USB port for saving and downloading songs, a Smart Media card slot for easy song storage, eight digital effects and a MIDI in/out port.

That's all marketing-speak... bottom line is that arranger functions are minimal and simplistic, and I suspect that the 32-voice polyphony gets eaten pretty quickly if you try to play any serious piano over the accompaniment. I played around with the arranger section a little and it's very basic... a little too basic IMHO. There are better arrangers available easily.

What grabbed me was the feel of the keybed and the stereo piano sound coming from the internal speakers... highly addictive. Casio claims this is the lightest hammer-action digital piano on the market currently, and I think they are right. The stand is included. I can't say enough about how good the piano sound is - you'll have to play it yourself.

This is where Yamaha/Korg/Roland are missing the mark and Casio has stepped up and delivered: the new PX-series Privias are serious digital pianos first and foremost. At $899 list I'd be content if the PX-555 was nothing but a great digital piano, but the other sounds are very good also. The arranger features are almost an afterthought, but at least we now know that a lightweight low cost 88-note arranger is not too much to ask for. Believe me, I'm already thinking of ways to use this on stage.

[This message has been edited by Esh (edited 10-02-2005).]

#169118 - 10/02/05 09:29 AM Re: Casio Privia PX-555 - $899 88-note Hammer-Action Arranger
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
This is a very light portable digital piano, However the 32 note polyphony is very deceptive. As soon as you start playing the better stereo sampled sounds you drop down to 16 note. I found that the notes drop off very quickly when that happens. I found it to be absolutely terrible when you had the arranger going and you were playing the stereo samples or tried to layer two or more sounds together.
If their new series of boards actually have the 64 note polyphony that the website says then they will be much better. As for there sound...not to bad. Again the portability of this full 88 weighted key piano is what was very appealing to me. The sound level does improve from entry level models as you go up to the more expensive units. Better speakers and amplifiers I suspect.

Regards,
Dennis L. Almond

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#169119 - 10/02/05 09:39 AM Re: Casio Privia PX-555 - $899 88-note Hammer-Action Arranger
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Jim, I pretty much agree wiyh you about the privia line..The one big problem with the Casio's including the WK series[also good sounds]...the 32 polyphony....It is in dire need to be bumped up to 64 voice...Playing over top of sequences creates a little havoc...even a busy sequence will choke it some...I think if they worked the priorty allocation differently,,,it could handle this stuff better..

The digital pianos are very playable...
One of the features I would like to see[if I recall , it is missing], is stereo inputs.

We also have to train the audiences to except Casio on stage..I used a Casio WK3000 on stage a couple weeks..and I heard comments like "I can't believe he is using a Casio on stage"....and all the while ,others marvel about the sound...Yep, I did cover the Casio name on the back..it seems to make everyone happy...but this week, the cover is off, and I am playing the Casio....those that don't like it, look down at the dance floor..

#169120 - 10/02/05 09:41 AM Re: Casio Privia PX-555 - $899 88-note Hammer-Action Arranger
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Sorry Dennis to repeat your comments, I did not see your post , till I posted..

#169121 - 10/02/05 10:02 AM Re: Casio Privia PX-555 - $899 88-note Hammer-Action Arranger
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
bottom line is that arranger functions are minimal and simplistic, and I suspect that the 32-voice polyphony gets eaten pretty quickly if you try to play any serious piano over the accompaniment. I played around with the arranger section a little and it's very basic... a little too basic IMHO. There are better arrangers available easily.

I have a Privia PX400r which I believe is the one model release back. I agree totally with your comments as well as though those by Dennis and Fran. I originally had my training in piano and I like the action of the Privia . I used it on 3 gigs using the arranger features, you're right they are too simplistic. After the 3rd gig I purchased a PSR 3K. Depending on the gig i.e. if folks are requesting background piano solo I used the Privia as a controller and for the 3k. For the money I paid $799. it's a good value.

Quote:
I had a chance to play the new PX-555 yesterday and I was simply blown away by it.

Jim, have you played the 400, I'd be curious to hear whether you found any significant differences between the 400 and the 555. I suspect the new triple layer ZPI stereo piano makes a difference.

#169122 - 10/02/05 02:56 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-555 - $899 88-note Hammer-Action Arranger
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Jim, have you played the 400, I'd be curious to hear whether you found any significant differences between the 400 and the 555. I suspect the new triple layer ZPI stereo piano makes a difference.

Unfortunately I played the 400 long ago and I don't remember what I didn't like about it, but I know I like the sound of the newer 555 over the older Privias.

Yeah, I agree with all comments above - the 32 note polyphony of the PX-555 is shallow and so are the arranger features, but damn what a nice feel and sound on that stereo acoustic piano. I'd be tempted to gig with this newer Privia and an MP3 player... I'm so tired of waiting for someone to make a really nice portable 88-note arranger.

#169123 - 10/02/05 03:23 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-555 - $899 88-note Hammer-Action Arranger
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The biggest omission is in the arranger in all Casio keyboards...you can't play "on bass" or "slash" chords(i.e. Dm/G) when in split mode.This has never been addressed in any of their auto accompaniment instruments;all other arrangers Yamaha,Roland,Korg and the recently deceased Technics provide this very necessary feature.
No matter how inexpensive it is,without this ability, it is useless to most pro players and more in line with the beginner or hobbyist.
Ian

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online