Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#169049 - 08/09/07 08:15 PM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Great setup....looking at it makes my palms sweaty and my back ache at the same time.

This is obviously a permanent install, and a wonderful way to play the B.

My B3 was a 1957 model with a cherry finish, and I was crazy enough to have two matching Leslie 147RVs to haul around with it as well...and yes, Diki, I certainly don't miss the weight.

Dave, you are a lucky guy to have such a convenient venue.

Ian

Believe it or not, I have hauled this to and from the gig for the past three Wednesday's and will probably do it again next week. It's not so bad with the organ dollies; I pick one end up and set it on the trailer floor and then pick the other end up and roll it the rest of the way in. Actually the 122 is the hard part.

Something I will point out, this is an XB3 (about 170 pounds). My B3 (at about 320 pounds) stays at home.

The XB3 is very cool in that it can transmit on four separate MIDI channels per manual and pedal board including velocity curves, program changes, etc, those channels can be zoned across the keyboard, both manuals are velocity sensitive and have aftertouch, the Leslie Chorale/Vibrato lever can be used as a modulation wheel (and you can still kick in the Leslie with a panel switch or toe switch mounted on the expression pedal. There are 'Pedal to Lower' and 'Lower to Pedal' coupler switches, and MIDI transmission can be turned off and on per manual and pedal board via front panel switches.

Dave

#169050 - 08/10/07 02:50 AM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Ahhhh...certainly a much lighter instrument...more bulky than heavy...still, stairs must still present an issue.

My Leslie 147RVs weren't light either.(groan)

I used to use a Roland Rhythm 77 analog drum machine with mine when I wanted to do the solo/duo thing using pedals....state of the art in it's day...

That sure is a cool instrument.

Ian

#169051 - 08/10/07 04:59 AM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
LOL, who said I was leaving the studio....I just want to quit my job and play that baby all day, every day. They can just dust around me!!!

I'm sooooo jealous.

Quote:
Originally posted by ViLo:

I don't want to be the one carrying it to gigs!!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#169052 - 08/10/07 06:14 AM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
When I hit the Lotto, baby... jealous ain't the word. I agree; that is the ultimate arranger setup. Thanks for sharing. Any chance we can all drive out and drool at it?

#169053 - 08/10/07 06:49 AM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Any chance we can all drive out and drool at it?

Hey, the more the merrier! Plus I'd love to have someone else play it so I could see how it sounds out front.

Next Wednesday the 15th and we start at 7pm. Come on down!

The Avenue Lounge
411 Madison Avenue
Covington, KY 41011
Phone: 859-261-6120

Dave

#169054 - 08/10/07 09:41 AM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Worst (and probably most dangerous) experience of my musical life...?

Trying to get a B3 up a flight of outside steel stairs to an upstairs nightclub, after a snowstorm. Three of us lifting, but the other two had more sense than to be at the bottom!

One slip, and I would have been raspberry jam..!

Happy days.... NOT!

#169055 - 08/10/07 12:08 PM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Just think about the "poor" Hammond salesman, that hauled around a Hammond for home sales visits....besides location exposures[Super markets etc)...Dummy me

Good old days..Not[taken from Diki}

#169056 - 08/10/07 01:36 PM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Just think about the "poor" Hammond salesman, that hauled around a Hammond for home sales visits....besides location exposures[Super markets etc)...Dummy me

Good old days..Not[taken from Diki}

Hi Fran,

Please note that I am not picking on you or your post.

I must say that that sitting behind a modern single manual keyboard playing a Hammond type sound is not even remotely close the the feeling (and sound) you get when sitting behind the real thing. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled with the advancements that have been made in keyboards over the years and for many gigs a single keyboard can get the job done quite well. But I still have a great deal of appreciation for the real thing and intend to use it whenever possible. And even though in the good old days it took a van and a half to haul my keyboard set-up alone and a good two hours to set it up, I still would love to go back to those days. I kind of equate it to playing in a big band or an orchestra. To say that you get the same sound and sense of raw acoustic energy from a single keyboard versus sitting in the middle of the brass, woodwinds, and/or string sections would be ridiculous.

Dave

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 08-10-2007).]

#169057 - 08/10/07 02:52 PM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:

I must say that that sitting behind a modern single manual keyboard playing a Hammond type sound is not even remotely close the the feeling (and sound) you get when sitting behind the real thing.

------------------------------

I still would love to go back to those days.
Dave

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 08-10-2007).]

Hear, hear (but with a roadie, of course). BTW, Dave. I would "kill" for that "B3" (clone or not, it's so purrrrrty) so watch your back .

chas

#169058 - 08/10/07 05:27 PM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
Hi Fran,

[b]Please note that I am not picking on you or your post.

I must say that that sitting behind a modern single manual keyboard playing a Hammond type sound is not even remotely close the the feeling (and sound) you get when sitting behind the real thing. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled with the advancements that have been made in keyboards over the years and for many gigs a single keyboard can get the job done quite well. But I still have a great deal of appreciation for the real thing and intend to use it whenever possible. And even though in the good old days it took a van and a half to haul my keyboard set-up alone and a good two hours to set it up, I still would love to go back to those days. I kind of equate it to playing in a big band or an orchestra. To say that you get the same sound and sense of raw acoustic energy from a single keyboard versus sitting in the middle of the brass, woodwinds, and/or string sections would be ridiculous.

Dave

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 08-10-2007).][/B]

That's what I've been saying all the time, Dave. I very much doubt that even B4 will get you the same. There's just no substitute playing the "genuine" thing. There's more than just the sound as well. There's waterfall keys. A must!! I wish every keyboard and organ came with them. It should be the LAW!

Watch out for Chas. He MEANS it!

Taike

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online