SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#169005 - 08/23/03 11:51 AM large band stand + a large convention center
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
If I set my speakers may 4 or 5 feet to the rear of me off to either side maybe 15' to 20' apart will I be able to hear myself or will I need a monitor also? The band stand is about 3 feet off of the floor. This is my first solo gig in such a large facility with such a large platform.

If I decide to use my Rogue PA for a monitor and put it off to the side or behind me maybe a couple of 3 feet away, is this a castrophy waiting to happen with feed back?

Should I use the reverb and other settings from the Mackie and leave the settings on the Rogue flat? My Rogue is a 50 watt 10" speaker. My mains are Peavey TLS 15" with a Mackie 808S.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Boo

#169006 - 08/23/03 12:22 PM Re: large band stand + a large convention center
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Boo,

You should be just fine. I play with this setup all the time. I actually have a 6:30 pm tonight at a festival. I position both my speakers behind me and towards the center of the stage. I hear myself very well.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#169007 - 08/23/03 03:55 PM Re: large band stand + a large convention center
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Boo,

I would use a monitor when the speakers are that far apart, especially if you doing vocals. Unfortnately, I just gave mine to a friend about six weeks ago, and I seriously doubt that he's ever use it. If you're going to use the Rogue for a monitor, make sure you keep the level low and use lots of bass to eliminate the possibility of feedback from your mic. Additionally, I wouldn't place it behind the rig, that's just disaster waiting to happen. Place it in front of you and if at all possible, face it up at a 30 to 45 degree angle. Less chance of feedback, better monitoring ability.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#169008 - 08/23/03 06:29 PM Re: large band stand + a large convention center
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Gary,

I see the monitors in front of entertainers all the time on TV. Even at live shows in town. Go ahead and laugh, but I'm always on edge and I worry more about practing and playing well. Putting the Rogue in front facing me never crossed my mind.

I've used just the Rogue to do a couple of coffee shop gigs and always had it on my side where the controls were close.

So, I guess I just leave the settings on the Rogue PA flat and set everything on the Mackie which will be near my side. Right?

Thanks for you guys help.

#169009 - 08/23/03 06:42 PM Re: large band stand + a large convention center
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You got it.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#169010 - 08/23/03 09:03 PM Re: large band stand + a large convention center
Dnj Offline

Boo......take lots of pictures for us to see of the show!!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online