SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#168971 - 07/04/05 04:08 PM News about TYROS-2
Roel Offline

Tonight I visited my dealer for a workshop/demo with Yamaha keyboards CVP307, TYROS, PSR2k etc.

Some news about the Tyros-2 was presented by an official Yamaha employee :

Week# 35 : Final details & demo-samples on internet.

September : Shipping starts and first machines will arrive in the Netherlands.

Global (not final) Specifications:

a. 400 built-in styles (T-1 has 300)

b. no 76 keys version planned

c. Hi quality keys (motif/DX7 alike)

d. HDD not standard but as an option

e. Megavoiced brass, strings, saxes, accordeons etc.

f. Megavoices play-able !

g. No built-in FDD (probably an USB-FDD)

h. Downward compatible with Tyros-regs / files / settings. Even the HDD coming from a T-1 fits without problems : all stored data will work perfectly.

i. Separate RGB video-interface that can be used for independent lyrics-presentation on a computer display (e.g. LCD)

j. There is a little chance scanned sheetmusic can be displayed as well !! (stored/connected to a registration-memory)

k. Music stand construction much better without the fragile pieces the T-1 has.

l. improved vocal-harmonizer

m. stereo samples loadable/editable.

n. many new FULL STEREO samples (drums, accordeons, pianos etc.)

o. 4 track audio-recording feature when HDD installed.

p. Plays WAV and MP3's

Of course the question : "Why not a PRO version with 76 keys?" .... Yamaha's answer :

"Most customers are satisfied with the 5-octaves and don't feel the need for an extra
octave. E.g. the number of sold PSR9000 PRO's was only 10% of the 9000 sales.
Yamaha decided to put as much as possible effort (time = money) in software-engineering and skipped plans for an extra expensive production-line to produce an extra model"
I myself can live with 5-octaves.

Facit :
I had no plans to change keyboard, but there might be a chance I will ..... very soon ... I ordered one!

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 07-07-2005).]

#168972 - 07/04/05 05:20 PM Re: News about TYROS-2
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Any clues as to price and weight?

#168973 - 07/04/05 07:01 PM Re: News about TYROS-2
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
If this is and true and the HD option is NOT multi-track recording, what a shame. That would be very cool. In fact, I would think that would really help sell that model. It would sell me!

#168974 - 07/04/05 08:18 PM Re: News about TYROS-2
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Roel, don't you mean 76 keys?

Anyway, if no 76 keys on Tyros 2
No Tyros 2 for Al. Either a Paxpro1 or a G70 will then replace my Tyros.

I've had enough of 61 key arrangers.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#168975 - 07/04/05 08:54 PM Re: News about TYROS-2
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Hmmm,

If the Brass and Sax megavoices are good and playable ... and the drums good enough that I don't need a drum machine ... I might just (reluctantly) buy it.

I say reluctantly, because there are still many things missing, but right now, I use a sampler for my saxes, brass and drums. If the T2 could replace these, it would probably be worth my while...

Chony

#168976 - 07/04/05 09:30 PM Re: News about TYROS-2
VegaVagga Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Hmmm,

If the Brass and Sax megavoices are good and playable ... and the drums good enough that I don't need a drum machine ... I might just (reluctantly) buy it.

I say reluctantly, because there are still many things missing, but right now, I use a sampler for my saxes, brass and drums. If the T2 could replace these, it would probably be worth my while...

Chony

Chony,

And the new T2 will accept USB keys plug-and-play...

Why don't you consider the Roland G-70?

#168977 - 07/04/05 10:30 PM Re: News about TYROS-2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
As a happy & satisfied 2-1/2 vetran of Tyros 1, it seems a natural progression for me now to upgrade to Tyros2, especially considering Yamaha's announced new feature improvements: particularly Yamaha's keyboard key feel/build improvments, more (and now playable) mega-voices & expanded voices (400 vs 300), and an even better built in vocal harmonizer. I'd (of course) appreciate 76 keys to gain the ability to play SOLO style piano, but ONLY if Yamaha could package it within the 'dimensions of the existing Tyros case, and I doubted all along that Yamaha was willing to do that. Frankly though, for strictly 'auto-accomp' style playing, 61 keys is perfectly adequate (at least for me), as setting the keyboard's split-point at F#2 provides an octave and a half for triggering full chords (including rootless jazz style), and allowing adequate room for nice chord voicing progressions with smooth voice leading, while leaving 3-1/2 octaves for right hand melodies & soloing, which is only 1/2 octave less than the 4 octave right hand 'real estate' available on an 88 note Grand Piano (from middle C to the top of the keyboard). As a professional musician-entertainer that highly appreciates keyboard light weight a shorter KB length for its ease of transport, I'm quite willing to sacrifice 76 keys for the light 27 lb(?) weight only a 61 kb can provide.

Hi Roel, was there any mention (at the Yamaha demo) of what the new Tyros2 "USER Memory" Storage capacity will be, or of any Music Finder new feature enhancements?

As I've mentioned on this forum (on several occasion) and requested (via email) to Yamaha as well, here are what I feel, IMPORTANT feature improvements I'd like to see included on Tyros 2:

1) Ability for a MFD record to call up a Registration Bank File. Since 'key transpose', 'split point', and countless other song setup settings are already stored in Registration, linking this to a MFD song record would greatly enhance the power of the MusicFinder.

2) Substantially increase Tyros2 USER Memory Storage capacity. Currently, total Tyros 1 USER Memory is only 3.3 MB. Expanding this to 10 or even 20 MB would be pretty inexpensive (flash memory is really cheap these days, right?), and would allow one to utilize MANY more custom USER Styles when performing songs via Music Finder.

I've auditioned the Roland G70 & Korg PA1XPro, and though both of these include unique advantages (Korg has really impressive fresh sounding styles & the G70 the best keyboard feel), the portability (smaller size & much lighter weight) of Tyros 2, its user friendly navigation, wide range of live performance usable outstanding styles & sounds, along with, I believe, a substantially lower price point (I can't find a G70 going for much less than $4500 here in my area) make the Tyros2 the more attractive upgrade option (for me). As far as the Tyros 2's looks, what it sounds like and it's playability is what matter to me, and if it's priced similarly (calculating in inflation of course) to what the Tyros1 went for ($2400 street price) when it was first introduced, then it seems to me to be a good upgrade investment. In the meantime, my Tyros 1 continues to delivers the goods & satisfy both me and my audience.

Scott

#168978 - 07/05/05 12:07 AM Re: News about TYROS-2
Roel Offline

Sure, I mean the '76-keys' version.
Dutch prices :

standard (no HDD, speakers etc) around 3700 Euro's (goingprices 10-15% less?)
The XXL-model 4200 Euros.

As I said the final specificatons will be published on the web end of August.
Right now small modifications can change specs. (world top-class musicians / programmers are testing the T2)

Other important facts :
Tyros-2 is 'made in Japan' (Tyros-1 is 'made in China')
Yamaha's products are 99.99% ready and bugfree when shipping starts (no series of extra upgrades required to improve the product step by step.... like Roland does)

Yamaha has NO plans to produce Sound-modules (Tyros-2 without keys).
Customers that require 76 (or more)-piano-keys can connect a HQ hammer-action master-keyboard.

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 07-05-2005).]

#168979 - 07/05/05 03:11 AM Re: News about TYROS-2
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
3700 euros???
That's insane.

#168980 - 07/05/05 03:20 AM Re: News about TYROS-2
Roel Offline

Hi Andrea,
Yes it is, but going-price around 3200 Euros.... not bad at all compared to G70, Tyros-1 and others.
Experts who played the T2 tell it is 10 times more powerfull than T1 (what means 5 times more powerfull than G70 .... kidding !)

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 07-05-2005).]

#168981 - 07/05/05 03:38 AM Re: News about TYROS-2
to the genesys Offline

Very unfortunate that Yamaha is not considering a module of the new Tyros. I think that would have made Yamaha totally dominate the arranger market. I hope they would reconsider.

Regarding the spects for the new Tyros, I will reserve comments until the last spects are confirmed or maybe when some one actually plays the keyboard.

#168982 - 07/05/05 04:55 AM Re: News about TYROS-2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
3700 euros???
That's insane.

Not true, don't worry.
My dealer here in Milan told me today that the price for the standard ( empty) version will be close 2200 Euros and the XXL ( empry too) close the 3990 Euros.
Your frien roel forget to tell you how much will cost the HD, the USB Floppy, the 16/32Mb RAM expansion, the optional sound board expansion, for the 16 bit DA......

Customers then are allowed to connect one external 76/88 masterkeyboard, one external MP3 player, maybe one Akai sampler and EMU synth or better one PC laptop for transfer by USB the songs library and the samples..
Missing some else? one sequencer? editor??

Anyway, it's not so expensive for a 61 keys, but is more powerfull 10 times than T1 and 30 times than G-70 and with this powerfull sure is sounds better than 40 CD players...( maybe 200Mhz CPU...funny)

Better buy one PA-X, is the best one embedded keyboard with more powerfull and expansion possibility.
Just look the design of all tyros models, only plastic like a toys, G-70 and PA-X look like a true professional keyboard.

Tyros 2 like the Oasys are two new marketing hole.
want the probe?

Oasys will cost more than 9000 Euros and they sell now the PCI Oasys card for 700 Euros ( and nobody will buy the card too for 700 Euros..incredible)
And IF the PCI card will cost only 700 Euros, why the keyboard MUST cost 9000 Euros? For what? for the BIG 640X480 LCD monitor? for the 76 keys? for the nice led's buttons??

Same now happen with Tyros 2....what really have more powerfull than the Tyros 1??

Is always the same soup warmed up....

Enjoy Tyros 2 with Roel.....
Cheers

#168983 - 07/05/05 05:03 AM Re: News about TYROS-2
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Domenico,
considering that you are HEAVILY interested in marketing and selling another keyboard, I would appreciate if you had the good taste of avoiding any comments in threads like this one.

P.S.: thanks for the info re. the Tyros 2 price; 2200 euros seems a fair price to me.

#168984 - 07/05/05 05:16 AM Re: News about TYROS-2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Domenico,
considering that you are HEAVILY interested in marketing and selling another keyboard, I would appreciate if you had the good taste of avoiding any comments in threads like this one.

P.S.: thanks for the info re. the Tyros 2 price; 2200 euros seems a fair price to me.

Sorry
I had typed wrong..
the standard model cost around 3200 Euros..sorry again for my mistake

#168985 - 07/05/05 11:56 AM Re: News about TYROS-2
chony Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by VegaVagga:
Why don't you consider the Roland G-70?

There are two reasons I won't go for the G-70.

1 - I don't want to go through the hassle of tweaking all my user styles;

2 - I checked out the G 70 demos and videos on line and failed to find anything that I would want, that I can't yet do on my Tyros.

#168986 - 07/05/05 12:23 PM Re: News about TYROS-2
VegaVagga Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
There are two reasons I won't go for the G-70.

1 - I don't want to go through the hassle of tweaking all my user styles;

2 - I checked out the G 70 demos and videos on line and failed to find anything that I would want, that I can't yet do on my Tyros.

Here are a few:

1) Instant assignable Slow down/speed up button
2) Fills can be triggered by key pressure
3) Change style instruments on the fly
4) D-beam for many uses
5) Many interesting arrenger options in Util menus.

#168987 - 07/05/05 02:00 PM Re: News about TYROS-2
chony Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by VegaVagga:

Here are a few:

1) Instant assignable Slow down/speed up button
2) Fills can be triggered by key pressure
3) Change style instruments on the fly
4) D-beam for many uses
5) Many interesting arrenger options in Util menus.

Out of the 5 things you mention, 1 would deffinitely be of interest of me, and possibly 2 as well.

However the other 3 are not ma'alos for me. I don't need to change my styles on the fly - I do that at home; I never was able to work out what is so great about the d-beam; and for arranging I use Cubase and Logic...

Playable mega-brass and saxes are much more important to me. Obviously they'll have to be pretty good - if I can get squauks and squeals out of my trumpets - that is something that could take my sound to a different level.

I would possibly give the G-70 more thought if I didn't already have my user styles programmed for the Ty - but the fact is I do, and I'm not planning to tweak them for another board!

Chony

PS: Btw, you can change style instruments on the fly with the Ty as well.

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 07-05-2005).]

#168988 - 07/08/05 05:06 PM Re: News about TYROS-2
Roel Offline

Scott,
My dealer heard from a Yamaha representative the housing dimensions are the same as T-1.

#168989 - 07/08/05 05:15 PM Re: News about TYROS-2
chony Offline

I wonder if we would have to buy new speakers, or if the Ty1's would work...

#168990 - 07/09/05 09:22 AM Re: News about TYROS-2
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
Scott,
My dealer heard from a Yamaha representative the housing dimensions are the same as T-1.

Ouch! Same dimensions and still just 61 keys... They could have shortened it up at least 6 inches with only 61 keys, making it more portable and not to mention lighter too.

I guess they made it the same size as the Ty 1 to give it more of a Professional size look. The Tyros 1 does look very nice up on a stage. It has a very eye catching 'presence'.

I assume the Ty 2 will have that same 'presence' but don't forget to tie it down so it doesn't accidentally fly away.

Fly away... You know, B2 Stealth Bomber.. Ah, forget it....

No 76 keys, no sell... PERIOD!

How many other people are going to say the same thing? A huge mistake on Yammies part in my opinion.

Btw, the reason I think the 9000PRO only sold around 10% of what the PSR 9000 sales were, was #1. the price was a $1,000 more and you didn't get speakers. #2. There were early reports that the Chip was underpowered (which it is) causing operating glitches and potential customers shied away as a result in my opinion. #3. Even though the weight was less than that of the PSR 9000 it was and is considered on the heavy side in regards to portability so people instead opted for the speakers included version, which btw was an astonishing (at the time) 26W x2.

What makes things different today is the perception of Arrangers is changing and are becoming more accepted in the eyes of other musicians, so more people in my opinion would be more open to purchasing an Arranger as long as the features are in line with what is already available to them such as 76 or 88 key versions etc., resulting in more sales than what the PSR 9000PRO garnered during its tenure because of better perceived acceptability within the market.

Another factor is the weight issue. If a Ty 2 or 3 with 76 keys could be made weighing around 30 lbs or less it would be a big selling point and would garner many more additional sales.

The Chip needs to be advanced enough to handle all the instructions sent to it with ease. And the price needs to be comparable to a 61 key version. Maybe $400 more at most.

Best regards,
Mike

#168991 - 07/09/05 09:23 AM Re: News about TYROS-2
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I hoped there would be an upgrade in the speakers to be at least the same quality sound as the Logitechs.

Also that the mounting on the keyboard would be similar.

Graham

#168992 - 07/09/05 01:23 PM Re: News about TYROS-2
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:

The Chip needs to be advanced enough to handle all the instructions sent to it with ease. And the price needs to be comparable to a 61 key version. Maybe $400 more at most.
Best regards,
Mike

Hi,
without profit, I think, Yamaha will not play with us, logical, or?
Hanspeter

#168993 - 07/21/05 03:17 PM Re: News about TYROS-2
Roel Offline

Some nice pics of the Yamaha workshop/Tyros2 information evening at my dealer
http://www.avestudio.nl/ohp/oostendorp.html

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 07-23-2005).]

#168994 - 07/21/05 04:31 PM Re: News about TYROS-2
Scottyee Offline

OK, I've NEVER requested this BEFORE, but after experiencing the audio drum loops arranger style integration on both the Ketron SD1 & Korg PA1XPro now, I can hear & can appreciate the BIG realisitc audio advantage (over midi drum loops) that quality audio drum loop import & integration (with arranger styles) would offer to the Tyros as well. - Scott

#168995 - 07/25/05 05:51 AM Re: News about TYROS-2
Roel Offline

The Tyros-2 will 'eat'stereo WAV's and MP3's so I expect it's possible.

btw did you find the pics of the workshop at my dealer's ? (2 posts back)

#168996 - 07/25/05 08:11 AM Re: News about TYROS-2
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
The Tyros-2 will 'eat'stereo WAV's and MP3's

???

#168997 - 07/25/05 08:30 AM Re: News about TYROS-2
Roel Offline

Hi Glenn,
I mean : "Tyros-2 is able to read/play/edit both audiofile types" ... the Yammie employee told me
If he's wrong, I am too

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 07-25-2005).]

#168998 - 07/25/05 08:33 AM Re: News about TYROS-2
Dnj Offline

Its amazing to see so many happy people learning to play & enjoy arranger KB music.....nice turnout....Ive never seen that here in these parts....more dealers need to organize these get togethers. I'd be happy to demonstrate playing, singing, and KB technics also

#168999 - 07/25/05 09:20 AM Re: News about TYROS-2
Scottyee Offline

Hi Roel, it will indeed be terrific news if the Tyros2 supports audio import (WAV/MP3 files) the way the Ketron SD1 and Korg PA1Xpro/PA1X currently do.

The ability to import, sync & integrate audio drum loops, with existing 'arranger styles' will bring added dramatically live realism to auto accompaniment drum tracks not possible with midi alone. As I mentioned in an earlier posting, I recently discovered the following WAV format audio loops, which I believe raises the sound quality & live realism of an arranger keyboard's auto accompaniment rhythm section (that is if your arr keyboard supports audio import + sync & integration with styles) to a dramatically higher level.

Here are the impressive audio loop disks I recommend for emulating acoustic jazz combos. I recommend checking out (listening) to the included audio demos. I was blown away! IMHO: No built in arranger styles even approaches the live sounding realism of these loops.
http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detail.html?840
http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detail.html?977

Scott

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online