SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16865 - 10/13/98 05:13 PM Korg N1- help
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just hooked up the n1 to my computer...with the serial cable (PC to HOST) which I have ordered a while ago and waited so long for, it finally came in...and now I have it, but I am disapointed. Is the sound quality supposed to be not as good?...is this because of the cable I am using?... I believe that the drivers are installed correctly. I am trying to use this freestyle software, but sounds it uses are from the GM bank only; there isnt even a drum set...is there anyway to play the n1 through the computer, as if through an amp?, or what if I used cakewalk with it?...would I be wasting money?...or do I need to get a midi adapter type thing in my computer?....I am really confused, help! But more importantly, with the things I have now, can I get everything to work normally?
Thanks in advance,
AdaM

#16866 - 10/15/98 08:27 AM Re: Korg N1- help
SampleRate96K Offline

Adam,

It seems like you have some really big issues going on. Let me see if I can help. First of all, wether you use the Midi cables or the Serial Connection, will not affect the sounds that the Korg N1 produces. Those are only methods to get the Midi instructions in and out of the keyboard from the computer.

Second, if you are using the Freestyle that came with the keyboard, you might be better off using Cakewalk, and getting yourself and instrument file for the N1, the darn thing has 18megs of sounds, too much for one human to be able to go thru and remember. Using the instrument files will help because the program names(sound names) are in the instrument file.

The GM sets. Korg N1 is setup with the following groups(sets of sounds)

GM-a
GM-b
GMdrm

Each one has a version of GM sounds, and are designed to map to GM,XG, or the other one(can't remember off hand), and the third set is for drums. Now this is not by any means all the sounds that are available in this board, just the GM ones.

#16867 - 10/15/98 02:49 PM Re: Korg N1- help
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, thanks...but what is an instrument file? And what I really want to know is that once I start using Cakewalk, can I take advantage of the great sounds in the n1 (besides the gm banks) through my computer, and use them to compose? Also, I think that the serial cable that I am connecting with cant be involved with recording...is this true?

#16868 - 10/16/98 12:11 PM Re: Korg N1- help
SampleRate96K Offline

Adam,

Serial Cable has nothing to do with recording. Its just like a midi cable.

Instrument files are what calkwalk uses to allow you to choose patch names from within cakewalk, instead of just choosing them by hand on the actual keyboard.

You can take advantage of any of the sounds in the keyboard from the Multi mode, by just changing the bank from which you are choosing sounds. it doesn't have to stay on GM-A or GM-B.

#16869 - 10/16/98 04:41 PM Re: Korg N1- help
WS Offline

When using Cakewalk try these numbers in Bank of Track View.
Bank A is 0
Bank GM is 7168
Bank Drum is 7968
These are used for newer Korgs and Cakewalk but I'm not sure about yours.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online