SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#168582 - 11/04/05 09:21 AM Dilemma...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,

I own a PA60 (and love it), but it's out of space for storing any new styles (I plan on ordering a hard drive install kit soon). I'm also seriously considering a new keyboard as well, because I tire of moving my PA60 back and forth to church twice a week (I have a bad back). So, I'm looking at the PA50 (I don't think the shorter keys will bother me too much)...but then I also wonder if the PA1x would be somewhat of an inspiration to my compositions (I currently use my PA60 to compose music for my Christian songwriting in addition to using it for leading worship). I was looking hard at the Tyros 2, but from reading some other threads here and listening to its demos again, it doesn't sound as much like a real band to me as my PA60 does with a good style. I think the PA1x would make a pretty good choice...but then I'm concerned that if I shell out nearly $4,000 for it, Korg may come out with a nicer upgraded model in a few months (to counter Yamaha's Tyros 2) and I'll kick myself.

Sorry if this is too long...but as you can tell I've been thinking too much about this already.

Can anyone pretty please help me decide?!?!

Thanks so much,
James Moore

------------------
forum.christiansongwriters.org
korgworship.com
movingtowardchrist.com

#168583 - 11/04/05 10:26 AM Re: Dilemma...
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
JAMES:
We all are faced with something better coming out, if the truth were known, there's probably a new one in production,another being tooled up for 2 years down the road, and another on the drawing board, it never stops, so we can't set and wait for the "BIG" one in the year 2021, live for the moment, the new stuff now will take you to new heights in your music, so just do, yourself a favor, don't worry about it just consider it the cost of being educated (like I do).

Ty II or pax1pro, are tops, and maybe the G7 Roland is up there now with the just added O/S (havn't heard any reports) all great keyboards. and my top 3 picks. (I chose ty II, Be here 7-10 more days).

The Ty II is considered by some to not being real band sounding, Change the Eq and mute some of the unnecessary things yamaha puts in and Wah/Laa. They make their styles to fit everyone, and versitile for many different tunes, and they also throw in the kitchen sink, along with records scratches etc, Just mute tracs you don't like before saving in the Regs and they're gone. (Easier to delete than add in) It takes a bunch of tweaking on each voice you use to get them the way you want, after listening to the demo's I know i'll have to adjust a lot of the voice's in every regs stored. Some of my tweaked voice's on my old 9000 sounds better to my ear than some I'm hearing on the new demo's, but I can hear possibilities that blows my mind on the new tyros II.

Can't say much on the new styles in the ty II except There's a bunch redone from my 9000, most are not sounding that good but I'm just playing converted tyII styles so not geting the full effect. There is a bunch of new style that are quite good. And Thanks to yamaha they gave back the Scat voices, excellent for using in combo with other voices, or just for fun.

Updating is great (if you can afford it do it!) if not get to tweaking on your old, and it will sound much newer, and you'll think maybe I don't need a new board....Pose

#168584 - 11/04/05 04:27 PM Re: Dilemma...
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Hello,

With a bad back, I'm not sure you'd want to lug around a Pa1X. However, it is a great keyboard and, with your prior experience with the Korg way of doing things, it would be a good fit for you.

On upgrades and such, loungelyzard is right on the money and Korg are very good at issuing upgrades on a regular basis. Re. the Pa1X boards, there is one about to come on stream about which you can find some lively discussion at the following link:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13290

In fact, Tramannoni (Paolo) on that forum is employed by Korg Italy and is a regular conduit for ideas and suggestions put forward by forum members. I think he has also popped up from time to time in this forum, too.

Good luck with your choice.

#168585 - 11/04/05 08:59 PM Re: Dilemma...
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi, I am a very happy PA60 owner also, I did tun out of space in the user styles area, but I have RE-PLACED the FACTORY styles I do NOT use, and I have not installed yet a hard drive in my PA60, and by the way, the one that has shorter keys, is the Pa 60 not the PA 50, the 50has LONGER keys and of course, are 100% compatible, if you want to re-place some factory styles, first you must disable the protection, I thing is the last page in global or disk?....I don't have my board here, mail me if you need help.

#168586 - 11/05/05 05:05 AM Re: Dilemma...
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I play my Tyros at church. Apart from all the wonderful musical features the onboard EQ (which the Pa1X does not have) and the lighter weight were critical factors in my decision.

#168587 - 11/07/05 04:30 AM Re: Dilemma...
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
As you've got a bad back I feel obliged to mention the PSR3000 as a lightweight keyboard that sounds good, has lots of features and possesses siginficant external storage capacity via USB.

However I suspect that the compromises in construction that give you a relatively lightweight keyboard will put you off. The 3k feels flimsy next to the Korg units and the keyboard action is somewhat spongy and takes some getting used to.

Personally I've been gigging a Yamaha 630, then 2k, now 3k for five years now and they all have basically the same build and keyboard action, without any reliability issues, and I can also live with the keyboard action.

If you think the Yamaha is worth a look, you MUST try it yourself to see whether you can live with the compromises.

Also the key action on Tyros1 and Tyros2 are much better; having recently played both I feel the T1 is rather light but the T2 felt spot on.

#168588 - 11/07/05 05:30 PM Re: Dilemma...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I didn't realize I could overwrite the factory styles I don't use - this will probably breathe some life back into the PA60 for me (but I think I should order the HD kit while it's still available, though, just in case...).

My back's doing better this week, so now I'm thinking about staying with the PA60. Decisions, decions.

Thanks again, I do appreciate all the great thoughts!

James

------------------
forum.christiansongwriters.org
korgworship.com
movingtowardchrist.com

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online