SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#168472 - 01/15/06 07:21 AM The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
weissefar Offline

Niels has once again provided us with a great Roland G-70 demo. This one can be downloaded from the User Club Website . Thanks Niels

#168473 - 01/15/06 07:32 AM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I don't want to pee on anyone's fire here, but I hvae to be honest. If I offend anyone let me apoligize now.

To tell you the truth, I haven't heard any demos from the G-70 that impress me (other) than the ones on the Roland website (both video and audio).

It's not saying that the G-70 isn't a good arranger. It sounds amazing, but I think users aren't doing it justice with their demos.

This latest demo (final countdown) doesn't impress me one bit. It's a song from the 1980's. Big whoop, any keyboard today can do an 80's song. Casio probably takes the charts on that one The thing is the 80's have already been done. How do you justify a great sounding keyboard by producing a demo from the 80's??????

I think the demos need to showcase the power in the G-70's acoustic voices and drum kits. Show the live flavor that board has.

Sorry if I pissed anyone off, it's just I haven't been impressed with demos outside of the Roland site.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#168474 - 01/15/06 07:33 AM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Well ouch, sorry for being negative here again and this in not a personal attack but forums are here for comments whether positive or negative so here goes.
The Final Countdown is my all time favourite 80's song and I was hoping to hear a good performance of it, however this song has simply just been killed.
Terrible style, cheesy brass sounds again, wrong chords played throughout and why has the solo that is played by a guitarist been missed out? The solo and lead synth line make the song.
Feel free to give me an ear bashing lol

#168475 - 01/15/06 07:55 AM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
weissefar Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
I don't want to pee on anyone's fire here, but I hvae to be honest. If I offend anyone let me apoligize now.

To tell you the truth, I haven't heard any demos from the G-70 that impress me (other) than the ones on the Roland website (both video and audio).

It's not saying that the G-70 isn't a good arranger. It sounds amazing, but I think users aren't doing it justice with their demos.

This latest demo (final countdown) doesn't impress me one bit. It's a song from the 1980's. Big whoop, any keyboard today can do an 80's song. Casio probably takes the charts on that one The thing is the 80's have already been done. How do you justify a great sounding keyboard by producing a demo from the 80's??????

I think the demos need to showcase the power in the G-70's acoustic voices and drum kits. Show the live flavor that board has.

Sorry if I pissed anyone off, it's just I haven't been impressed with demos outside of the Roland site.

Squeak

I can only speak for myself, but your opinion certainly do not set me on fire It is obvious to me that you judge the demos by other crtierias that I (and probably many other) do. Doing an imitation of something from the 80's isn't obviously impressing you... well, that's fine. But to me, these demos aren't just about showing "the power in the G-70's acoustic voices and drum kits" like you ask to. I like to hear demos covering all genres - hereby demoing the diversity of the instrument. Chill out, my friend. Now we have heard an interpretation of a 80's smash hit - let's not belittle that initiative!... maybe next time Niels will record a song showing us the acoustic sound, which is so great on the G-70... then you might be happy, while others would have wanted to hear a techno demo...

#168476 - 01/15/06 08:00 AM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
Dnj Offline

Honestly I really enjoyed it.......
great live sound, driving drums, but a song like this needs to be done with vocals....
I think playing the melody line in such a famous tune took away much of its potential listener appeal. Otherwise, leave out the melody & sing it, then it will be a fine backing track for sure.
G70 is a fine KB for sure in the right hands.

#168477 - 01/15/06 08:16 AM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
No need for me to chill out. Never got overheated to begin with. This forum is for comments and I expressed mine.

I don't knock the iniative, I just don't think doing an 80's demo really says much about (any) keyboard released within the last few years. We've come so far since then.

I don't really care if someone does a Techno demo, but take the Roland site for example. have a look at the demo where the demostrater plays an Eric Clapton song using a style/D-beam, and that killer acoustic guitar on the G-70. Now that was impressive. It was simple but sounded great.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#168478 - 01/15/06 08:17 AM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
weissefar Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_UK:
Well ouch, sorry for being negative here again and this in not a personal attack but forums are here for comments whether positive or negative so here goes.
The Final Countdown is my all time favourite 80's song and I was hoping to hear a good performance of it, however this song has simply just been killed.
Terrible style, cheesy brass sounds again, wrong chords played throughout and why has the solo that is played by a guitarist been missed out? The solo and lead synth line make the song.
Feel free to give me an ear bashing lol

I have received input/feedback from several sources regarding this demo, and if I should do a statistics based on the feedback, then I conclude that your opinion is of marginally significance... however, you are entitled to have this opinion. I wonder why every time 100 hundred people like something of quality, some guy or a few guys don't agree - often the same bunch of persons?!... why? well, could be many explanations for that, but like stated elsewhere: the demo speaks for it self Go with peace if you don't like it... In the meantime the rest of us are turning up the volume

BTW - where can I find some of your demos? Could be nice to hear, how it sounds, when you produce a demo that you think is satisfactional. Thanks in advance

[This message has been edited by weissefar (edited 01-15-2006).]

#168479 - 01/15/06 08:43 AM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
zuki Offline

I thought the trumpet was 'right on' and look forward to hearing more from this promising arranger. From other demos (Roland lab personnel for example) I've heard and seen, it's only in time we will hear some astonishing work on this board. Sure wish I had one. I can just imagine using the guitar templates.....dreaming
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#168480 - 01/15/06 08:48 AM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Whenever someone puts something out in a public forum for evaluation and critique, if it isn't quite up to snuff, or at least in someone's opinion it isn't, that's just the way it is. It's always about opinions anyway, and since everyone has one, who's to say who is right or wrong ?

Who said anyone has to be a music producer or be able to produce "a better" demo in order to be qualifed to critique what they hear ? Who wrote that rule anyway ? I constantly see that on these forums as if it's a defense when someone's stuff gets crtiqued. Do you guys think that all of the top studio producers and major magazine critics are also necessarily always top flight musicians ?

I think the G70 itself sounds fine in this demo btw. Musically, to me, the piece isn't awful, the notes seems to be in place, but I won't say it sounds quite near the original or does justice to it. It sounds like a typical arranger being used to imitate a cover song, nothing wrong with that since many of us buy arrangers for just that perpose.... but it just doesn't give me quite the same feel as the real and "real" analog instruments that were used in the original. Then again very few of today's synths seem to do the analog sounds with the same force. Ya know what though..? If we were to see "Europe" doing this piece live today I'm guessing it probably wouldn't sound exactly like the original either.

I still get the impression from the demos I hear that both the G70 and PA1x sound more like a live performance, while The Tyros sounds more like a CD recording. I think the Tyros has the cleaner sounding lead instruments, but I think maybe I prefer the live performance sound of the other's styles.

Real analog is almost a funny term too btw, since analogs in the early days were advertised as having been designed to mimic real acoustic instruments. We all know how that turned out, but many of the popular sounds made by them are now classic in their own right and are sought out to this day, by me included. I absolutely love analog and some of the better wave based synths that followed it, like the Korg Wavestation for example.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-15-2006).]

#168481 - 01/15/06 08:49 AM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
Wis Offline

Again a nice demo Nielsh, well played.
Those negative comments are not fair and
must not be taken too serious.
They are echoes from the passed.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online