SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#168405 - 11/22/06 09:13 AM An exciting new concept on the horizon...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I just picked up my keyboard from the repair center yesterday--it needed a minor repair that I couldn't handle.

While I was there talking with the technician, he told me about a new keybed concept that was in the works at Yamaha, one that would revolutionize arranger keyboards, electric pianos, and synths. Instead of the traditional keypads, the triggering mechanism would be a pair of photocells positioned at the end of each key. The photocells would be triggered by a tiny bar that passes the cells sequentially, thus the speed at which the bar passes determines the loudness.

Currently, the same process is accomplished by a pair of carbon contacts that sequentially touch a printed circuit board. The faster they make contact, the lounder the sound. The proposed system eliminates the problems associated with keypads wearing out, circuit board wear and temperature changes. The only moving part will be the keys themselves--the photocells will be stationary.

And, rumor has it that the keybed will be weighted and adjustable. If you are comfortable with the feel of grand piano keys, the key-feel can be set to fully-weighted firmness. However, if you enjoy the soft touch of the T2, the keybed can be adjusted to suite your needs as well, plus the needs of anyone that wishes something in between.

According to my source, the system is still in the development stage, but could be available on some models next summer or fall. This would, obviously, solve a lot of problems for piano players who also wish to enjoy the features of an arranger keyboard or synth.

I'm looking forward to this one,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#168406 - 11/22/06 10:08 AM Re: An exciting new concept on the horizon...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Yea, Yamaha let's hope it's sooner than later.

#168407 - 11/22/06 10:33 AM Re: An exciting new concept on the horizon...
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi folks sounds a great idea !!

Warning to you all
My Concerto digital/acoustic midi accordion has light sensors to do just these things .
i thought it was a great idea !!
But if you play outside in direct sunlight or under very bright spotlights /strobs ,
this can confuse the light sensors and cause the instrument to lock up !!!

i.e nothing will work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards ............Giovanni

#168408 - 11/22/06 11:21 AM Re: An exciting new concept on the horizon...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hopefully, they will used a filtered light source, thereby eliminating this problem.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#168409 - 11/23/06 08:30 AM Re: An exciting new concept on the horizon...
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
The Ensoniq "PolyKey" keyboard uses a non-contact inductive system to handle initial velocity and then polyphonic aftertouch. All thats on each (sprung) key is a lump of metal.

Regrettably the reliability of the keyboard in the field was compromised for some time by dodgy PCB interconnects (there are two PCBs handling halves of the keyboard)(although my SD1 was fine) and the key feel is firm but considered very "clunky" by some people.

Polyphonic aftertouch is however fabulous for big-band stuff; your ensemble playing remains untouched while your solo can go mad with aftertouch triggered vibrato!

Back to the plot - assuming the sensors will be using LED light sources could they could use infra-red or ultra-violet LEDs?

#168410 - 11/23/06 09:54 AM Re: An exciting new concept on the horizon...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Gary,

I have heard similar information...looks like a good thing.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#168411 - 11/24/06 03:32 PM Re: An exciting new concept on the horizon...
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Probably Off-topic but.....

If you like new concepts, have a look at this one, particularly for guitarists playing keyboard it could be the ultimate keyboard in future.

I wanna have one, but a bit too expensive yet...
http://www.hakenaudio.com/Continuum/html/overview/Features.html

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online