SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#168364 - 01/16/02 09:56 PM ANYTHING ABOUT NAMM - PLEASE POST HERE!
ComposerRyan Offline

If you have any information about the upcoming Winter NAMM 2002 that will be held on January 17 - 20, please post it under this topic! (If you do not know what NAMM is, check out their website at http://www.namm.com/ for more info ) That way, we could keep each other informed about the new products that will be revealed, such as General Music's GENESYS and Yamaha's PSR10000.

Also, please feel free to leave information regarding TV coverage of NAMM (who and what TV station is covering it), websites that will feature NAMM, images/photos of the big event, official news, and other information that would be helpful to us all on this forum.

About TV Coverage of NAMM: Does anyone know if any Television station within the U.S. will be covering NAMM? If you have any information about TV Coverage on NAMM, please let me know because I would just love to watch it!

Anything else you could thing of relating to Winter NAMM 2002, please post it here! Thanks a lot and I look forward to hearing from you all soon - see you around on the forums and have a nice day,
Ryan

ALSO, PLEASE BE SURE TO VISIT THE WEBQUAD NETWORK AT:
http://www.webquad.com

CONTACT ME AT:
composerryan@webquad.com

#168365 - 01/16/02 10:36 PM Re: ANYTHING ABOUT NAMM - PLEASE POST HERE!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ryan,
NAMM is a trade show, not an exibition. I've never seen any coverage other than trade mags. If you have a friend in the biz - maybe they'll share the product literature with you next week. It's really a closed show for dealers and store employees.
What got you so interrested in it?

#168366 - 01/16/02 10:59 PM Re: ANYTHING ABOUT NAMM - PLEASE POST HERE!
Dnj Offline

You might find some info here on NAMM 2002 in the days to come.
http://www.harmonycentral.com

#168367 - 01/17/02 05:12 AM Re: ANYTHING ABOUT NAMM - PLEASE POST HERE!
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Ryan

I do not have any trouble understanding an interest in NAMM. The NAMM coverage issues of Keyboard Magazines have always been favorites of mine, being read through many time. This show gives me things to dream about and to save my pennies for. My PSR-8000 and my Karma (and probably lots of other gear) were brought to my attention by NAMM reports. Several members of this group, whether dealers or not, will attend NAMM.

Also, you do not have to wait until attendees to return for information. As Donny mentioned, Harmony Central will provide daily reports. Sweetwater usually does the same. In addition, many companies release press materials on their websites in conjunction with NAMM. I expect Roland will post new product information, maybe tomorrow.

I think Uncle Dave has a healthy pragmatic view of music technology--nothing exists until he can get his hands on it. He does not spend much time "wishing and hoping", but concentrates on making music and entertaining. I am at the other extreme, I probably spend more time wishing and hoping than actually playing. My position is hard to justify, but I think I have good company.

#168368 - 01/17/02 01:16 PM Re: ANYTHING ABOUT NAMM - PLEASE POST HERE!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I have more of a "sickness" - I need to have new toys all the time because no one has built a suitable keyboard for me yet.
I keep hopin', but so far ....... there is no "really great" kb that I love. They are all a little short of my desires ..... Maybe that's why I bought a new guitar - It's fully evolved and I can get more and more from it each time I play it. Keyboards have no life .... no personality .... they are just disposable machines for me to use as I sing. That's why I can't get excited easily.
I DO read all the mags though - my shelves are overflowing !!!!

#168369 - 01/17/02 03:57 PM Re: ANYTHING ABOUT NAMM - PLEASE POST HERE!
ComposerRyan Offline

First of all, thanks everyone for the replies! I really appreciate the information Dnj and Clif, it is VERY helpful to me! I checked out Harmony Central and found out some exciting news...

Guess what?! Korg was featured on Harmony Central for their Triton Studio workstation. However, you have to read between the lines. At first, I was REALLY excited with the news that it included an internal CDRW drive, but here is the catch: it is optional and costs $400 extra in order to even have it included! It is a massive keyboard workstation though, but the price of $3,400 for the 61 key version is just ridiculous. The only thing that really bugs me is the price (of course), it needs to be lowered. Here is a picture of it from Harmony Central's Winter NAMM coverage:

Anyway, it is a fun keyboard to dream about...but still the price is really overwhelming. I'm going to read on it more and keep myself updated about Winter NAMM!

Also, I love to be content in dreaming about keyboards too! With this, these are the main reasons why I am interested in NAMM - I love to compose, play, and listen to music and music is my passion. I own a really old keyboard and I dream that someday I will finally own my dream keyboard, like those I see at NAMM! Also, I think it is fascinating to keep up-to-date with all the new music technologies that are coming available, especially the things that keyboards now offer. To keep it simple, I just love music and I know that I have a gift and I know that someday I will be given the tools in order to reach people with my gift, spread a good message, and give them hope!

Clif, where do you get your Keyboard Magazines from? I would love to look into that more so I can read more about NAMM and keyboards.

And Uncle Dave, you think "...Keyboards have no life .... no personality .... they are just disposable machines for [you] to use as [you] sing"? Not to me! On the other hand I think they hold an entire world of music in them, from piano to violin, and guitar to woodwind, not mentioning the many other features and opportunities that allow musicians to express their gift and talents! The manufacturers of these keyboards work hard and put tons of effort into their products and I realize that they give musicians limitless possibilities. By the way, just let me know when you 'dispose' of another keyboard, because, since that is my dream to own one, I would like to have it since I NEED one. And, realize how fortunate you are to have that opportunity - to have a guitar, keyboard, and a successful music career - please do not take it for granted. You have the tools to create music and express your talents, some people do not even get that opportunity.

Well, thanks a lot for the replies! Keep each other updated about NAMM and please feel free to leave a comment. Thanks a lot,
Ryan

PS: Uncle Dave, remember, if you dispose of a keyboard, please give me one so that I could use it!

[This message has been edited by ComposerRyan (edited 01-17-2002).]

CONTACT ME AT:
composerryan@webquad.com

#168370 - 01/17/02 04:34 PM Re: ANYTHING ABOUT NAMM - PLEASE POST HERE!
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Ryan

I subscribe to Keyboard Magazine and buy others at bookstores.

Keyboard Magazine: www.keyboardonline.com
Electronic Musician: www.emusician.com
Future Music: www.intermusic.com

The one suggestion I had was to look at composing using a computer sequencer instead of a keyboard sequencer. You can still input using a keyboard controller. Computer sequencers make editing easier. You can get a computer, a good sound card, and a keyboard controller for a lot less than any Triton.

Clif

#168371 - 01/17/02 05:47 PM Re: ANYTHING ABOUT NAMM - PLEASE POST HERE!
ComposerRyan Offline

Hey Clif, thanks for the Keyboard Magazine links and the advice.

About using the computer for sequencing:

When you use a computer for sequencing, the sound is obviously dependant on the type of soundcard.

1)But, what is sampling and does it differ from what you suggested?

2)And, from what you described, how hard is it to setup an MIDI controller and a soundcard?

3) What computer program do you recommend for computer sequencing?

Well, thanks for that advice...those keyboards are way too overpriced. Did you hear the new Korg Studio workstation is $3,000 and up! I know that it has a lot of features, but to even get the CDRW burner you have to pay an extra $400!

Also, Yamaha has a new 88 key synthesizer called the S08. If you're interested, you can read about the new synthesizer at Yamaha's NAMM 2002 website: http://www.giles.com/yamaha1/pr/trade/NAMM/W02/pr/pac/dmi/s08.html

Does anyone know if Yamaha will be introducing its Yamaha PSR10000? I am really curious about this and if you know, please feel free to leave us some information! Well, thanks for everything,
Ryan

CONTACT ME AT:
composerryan@webquad.com

#168372 - 01/17/02 07:19 PM Re: ANYTHING ABOUT NAMM - PLEASE POST HERE!
Clif Anderson Offline

Ryan

"Sampling" refers to capturing brief (or not so brief) segments of music. For example, you could record a drum hit and store the sounds as a .wav file on your computer. You can then play back the sampled drum sound as part of a performance. There are programs that allow you to modify the sample, and also playback programs that modify the sound as you play.

Sampling is different from what I was suggesting, but could be used with my suggestion. I am suggesting using the computer as a "programmable player piano" of sorts. You write sheet music on your computer, specify what instruments are to play what notes. You can then use the sequencer to play your instrument(s). The nice thing about any computer sequencer is the ease of editing. Cakewalk has a whole line of sequencers worth investigating.

Your instrument could be a software sampler or synthesizer. For example, you could use your sequencer to play Gigasampler from Nemesis software.

I would buy a computer that comes with a good sound card, then you will not have to fool with internals. Buy a low-end Calkwalk sequencer, and an inexpensive keyborad controller. If you want your sequencer to "help" in your composition, get Band-In-A-Box first instead of a regular sequencer. I think this would get you started for less than $1K. The nice thing about such a setup is that you can easily upgrade in many different ways. With keyboards, you have to keep buying new keyboards. When you do get a keyboard, it can interface with your computer.

You will still want a nice keyboard, but if you lack money and want to compose, I think a computer-based system is worth considering.

#168373 - 01/19/02 12:19 PM Re: ANYTHING ABOUT NAMM - PLEASE POST HERE!
ComposerRyan Offline

Thanks again Clif for that helpful advice!

Of course, keyboards are WAY to expensive for me to buy and I have always wondered, like you suggested, about a computer-based setup. One of the main things, other than price, that attracts me to a computer setup is the upgrading possibilies that you mentioned.

Also, I've heard that Cakewalk is a great software program for composing music. But, where does the MIDI controller come in? Do you just play your notes on your MIDI controller and than the sequencer on the computer records it? If so, it sounds really convienent, because than you could go into the computer and edit your song! Now, I think I am starting to understand why a computer may be a better way to go...

However, Clif, what do you think of these keyboards? From what I've heard on this forum, they're relatively inexpensive, around $800, and you can do a lot with them. They're called the Yamaha DGX300, which is a 76 key version, and the Yamaha DGX500 which is an 88 key keyboard! The DGX sells for, again, $800 while the DGX300 sells for around $600. Please check them out at: http://www.giles.com/yamaha1/pr/trade/NAMM/W02/pr/pac/pkb/dgx.html and tell me what you think! Do you think they're worth the money?

Well, thanks again - I really appreciate the help! Have a nice day and see you around,
Ryan

CONTACT ME AT:
composerryan@webquad.com

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online