Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#168279 - 05/17/07 08:25 PM Fake Organ Players
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)

#168280 - 05/17/07 10:43 PM Re: Fake Organ Players
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Kind of a touchy subject, on an arranger forum!

There ARE people on this forum that think that holding a chord down, and singing a lead IS 'playing' (it IS entertaining, but is it PLAYING?)....

I wonder just how many here could actually sit at a regular organ, and do the whole 'feet and two hands' thing... Not too many, I would think.

#168281 - 05/17/07 11:23 PM Re: Fake Organ Players
Taike Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Kind of a touchy subject, on an arranger forum!

There ARE people on this forum that think that holding a chord down, and singing a lead IS 'playing' (it IS entertaining, but is it PLAYING?)....

I wonder just how many here could actually sit at a regular organ, and do the whole 'feet and two hands' thing... Not too many, I would think.

I started playing the organ when all you did was use your two hands and feet and did so during all my years at the Music Academy studying Classical Organ and after so that makes ONE SZ member so far. I'm sure that there are many others.

#168282 - 05/17/07 11:49 PM Re: Fake Organ Players
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
I played organ and grand pianos as a younger person. Then with arthritis 'causing great frustration that my technique was being taken away, I discovered arranger keyboards. They've allowed me to rejoin the musical world.
Keith

#168283 - 05/17/07 11:52 PM Re: Fake Organ Players
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Never studied classical organ, but did a little bit in churches from time to time. Glorious sound! I envy you your studies...

I used to hold down a trio in the seventies kicking pedals and LH bass on an old Hammond, playing holiday camps in England (Tommy, can you hear me?!). That was the last time I used pedals, at least professionally...

I kind of miss them, but prefer to stand while I play, and that makes pedals a little difficult!!

(And no, I don't miss the weight of that Hammond one little bit!)

#168284 - 05/18/07 02:38 AM Re: Fake Organ Players
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Great post, Taike...

Even though I studied classical piano for many years and even though I took to my B3 and pedals with enthusiasm, I wanted to learn more about the organ, so I took the plunge and went back to school.

I completed Yamaha's Electone course (even taught it for several years) and the emphasis was on the bass pedals and actually playing left hand rather than just chording.

I even used a modified Electone El-90 pedalboard (20 notes) with my arranger to give more flexibility to the bass line, but I guess laziness, and the much improved (and programmable) auto bass(and improved chord recognition)of the newer arrangers had me tuck them away, and eventually sell them....something I sometimes wish I hadn't done.

Needless to say, doing a gig back then was a exercise in accurate registration changes and choreography...I was a busy guy.

I'm at the point in my life where I am comfortable using an arranger and the full accompaniment, and people's opinions of just how much of the playing is "me" just don't matter much anymore, and I enjoy playing more than ever.

I refuse to use SMF although I have no issue with those who do so.

It will be interesting to see how others feel about this issue.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#168285 - 05/18/07 02:55 AM Re: Fake Organ Players
Marilyn Offline

Loc: Snowbird USA
I learned on and played for many years a basic Hammond spinet with just some drawbars. I had to learn my own rhythms using footpedals and left hand. I can still do it but electronic arrangers are much more fun! I definitely admire organists who are still playing the traditional way and I attend many concerts to watch and listen.

#168286 - 05/18/07 03:09 AM Re: Fake Organ Players
Taike Offline

You can call me a traditionalist than, Marilyn. I'll always be an organplayer at heart and no matter if I play an arranger keyboard or not, I'll keep playing the organ as well. It gives me a far greater range of stylings and freedom to play arrangements that can't be done on a keyboard.

As I mentioned earlier on, I studied Classical Organ and prior to that followed the Hammond Organ Course which is pretty much unlike most other organ courses. The last two years at the Academy I started to focus more on theater organ styling and you really need at least two manuals for that and pedals, of course.

Taike

ps. thanks, Ian

#168287 - 05/18/07 04:49 AM Re: Fake Organ Players
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I learned on a piano and a B 3. I played B3 throughout the 70's usually along with a Rhodes. I also studied classical organ and piano and I am a Director of Music in a United Methodist Church. I play the arranger because of its versatility and portability. As an entertainer that does 300+ jobs per year, it's the only way to go. I still do grand piano jobs when they come along.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#168288 - 05/18/07 07:31 AM Re: Fake Organ Players
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'd bet I'm one of the hold-outs. I use arrangers for 80% of my singles, but I still keep a B-3, 147 RV and Rhodes at one of my house jobs at a local country club. Mostly, it's left-handed bass. I use it on about 35-40 jobs a year.

On my arranger jobs, on half the material, I use left-handed bass. Sometimes, I use an XB-2 with a Motion sound top box.

I just restored an old 1949 M, which I'm running through a 145, just for fun, at the office.

I use the B for sentimental reasons, and we have a small contingent of people who are part of a Jazz support group who are fans of the Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff style.

Would NEVER move the thing, but it has a home and enough fans of the style to make the maintenance (tubes, belts, etc.) worthwhile.

For people who have never played a B with a tube Leslie, do it if you get the chance. It's still Awsome!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 05-18-2007).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online