SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#168100 - 04/26/00 10:51 AM Solton X1 and/or PSR 9000 Let's Pretend
Rick Cato Offline

Loc: Galax, VA USA
Thanks to all that have posted and replied regarding these 2 wonderful keyboards. It's been great to watch all of you stand by your machines and to absorb the vast array of comments, recommendations, and opinions you all have offered. Special thanks to George and Dave for some personal touch. Now I need your un-prejudicial help based on my particular situation if you can separate yourselves from yours. I'm ashamed to admit that I can't read a single note of music. However, if it could be counted, I have had a deep seeded love for music and excellent sound quality for over 35 years. I'm about ready to buy one of these units as my wife and I are 3 weeks away from moving into a home we just spent 10 months building. Here is my situation. I owned a nice Yamaha Electone double keyboard for 5 years back in the 80's, and after that a Clavinova for another 5 years. I've been without anything now for the last five years. Again I must appologize, but the only way I know how to play music is by using the single finger cord capability I'm sure you are all familiar with. I'm just too old now to learn how to read music. I have had more fun and enjoyment playing these 2 instruments than just about anything else I've ever done; you know the exception. Even though I cheat, I have made some pretty nice sounding music to me. This keyboard will never leave the house and has been hard wired into the walls to a tremendous sound system in a dedicated home stereo/music room. I have been tri-amping or quad amping for 20 years now as part of this deep seeded desire for excellent sound quality. Briefly, quad-amping (4 power amps) JBL 18" subs, 12" mid-low, 2" compression drivers, and Bi-radial tweeters. I can play the home stereo better than I've ever been able to play anything else. Here are my concerns. I have heard many comments about the X1 and hiss or noise. How is this going to sound with major amplification? Don't like hiss. I also keep hearing about the PSR 9000 sound system being weak and distortive at high volume levels. I will be using the big sound system probably 75% of the time. Are these problems going to be correctible by down load version changes, or will they be addressed in subsequent model changes such as a later model X1 or PSR9000? I have also read many negative comments on the X1 not being very user friendly. Is this just a matter of getting familiar with either of the different keyboards, or is one of them going to be continually more difficult to setup and use it's capability. Remember, I'm not a professional like all of you, no gigs, I'm a cheater. I would love for this to be a real, from the heart, free for all that will be the final piece and probably most important part of my descision making. Thanks in advance to all that would be so kind to reply, and I envy your professional talent and only dream of being able to captivate a live audience as you do. What a sense of fulfillment it must be. I was leaning towards the X1, but now I'm neck and neck and confused. Write a book if you wish, I'll read every word. Just remember to be me and my situation. Mutiny is allowed because this isn't for you. All the best to each of you and may your gigs get better and never dry up.

#168101 - 04/26/00 05:57 PM Re: Solton X1 and/or PSR 9000 Let's Pretend
Rick Cato Offline

Thank you Dave not only for your un-biased recommendation, but for your demo of some X1 capabilities. I'm greatful.

#168102 - 04/26/00 08:41 PM Re: Solton X1 and/or PSR 9000 Let's Pretend
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello Rick,
I hope you are doing well. I believe that the X1 is still a better choice. Better sound quality and the operation of the Keyboard is not dependant on the LCD display.
I have alll the styles of the Yamaha Psr9000 and 8000 converted to Solton X1 spec's. What a tremendous advantage it is to compare style for style on Yamaha vs. Solton. I have recently produced a video for solton. I will Have a newer video with the newest upgrade completed by May 20th. So, Yamaha vs. Solton
The Yamaha styles sound great on the Solton. That's over 700 styles !
198 when you pull it out of the box
380 more on the Hard drive
240 additional converted Yamaha styles and MORE !!!!! Unbelieveable...... Dan O at Guitar Center Baltimore.

#168103 - 04/26/00 09:27 PM Re: Solton X1 and/or PSR 9000 Let's Pretend
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've already written volumes about both keyboards, and I respect DanO's opinions, BUT I must agree with Uncle Dave. The Yamaha is so much easier to learn and operate. Also, if you have Clavinova disks, they will work on the PSR9000, not to mention any volume pedals or footswitches you may have left over.
The only downside I can see on the Yamaha is the weight, and that won't matter to you.
I find the speaker system is quite loud enough to practice at home without distortion, but it's not as loud as the X1. The effects are far more versatile.
As for styles, if you buy the Yamaha you won't need to convert them to X1. And there are countless styles available for download on the internet, if you find you need some that aren't there.
If you can, talk to a dealer who can let you try both, then make your decision based on which one you like best. I also know a lot of folks who prefer the Technics KN6000 for your type situation. You can't go wrong with any of them, but if you try them all, one will be a clear standout to you.
Good luck!
P.S. If you decide to buy an X1, Tom Cavanaugh has a used one for sale, complete with hard drive, harmonizer, expanded memory and 6-switch pedal.

#168104 - 04/27/00 05:08 AM Re: Solton X1 and/or PSR 9000 Let's Pretend
Rick Cato Offline

Hello Don:

Thank you so much for your reply. Could you put me in touch with Tom Cavanaugh? He can reach me at 1-800-671-2803

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online