SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#167965 - 11/06/05 03:20 PM T2 Questions
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Scott posted that he had installed a hard drive and DIMM memory into his new Tyros 2. Someone please clarify some things for me. If you don't install a hard drive, where do you save your recorded songs? Does the T2 use USB plug-in devices? Can you save to an onboard user area? If so, how many songs might that hold? And finally, what the heck is DIMM storage? What's its purpose? Does the T2 come without DIMM? By adding it, what does that allow one to do? Dumb questions, I know; but some of us are not too experienced in this sort of thing.
JLT

#167966 - 11/06/05 03:39 PM Re: T2 Questions
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
The Tyros 2 has internal flash memory, about 2MB-3MB so enough to save quite a lot of midis (probably hundreds), though its shared with other user files such as new styles, registrations etc. You can also plug in a USB memory stick, a USB floppy drive, even a USB external harddrive if you wish.
DIMM is extra memory which is only used for the custom voice feature. The Tyros 2, unlike Tyros 1 can load new waveform data for creating new voices, that is new sample sounds. Tyros 2 comes with 4MB of sample memory as standard, but it can be expanded to 1GB with computer-like DIMM memory. Unless you are planning to create lots of new custom voices with new waveform data, or until Yamaha offer more for users there is little point in adding extra DIMM memory.
However once you move into the realms of adding more voices, styles then you need to look at a way of storing the data other than the user memory in the Tyros 2 (its a bit too small for voice sample data). Also adding a harddisk allows you to use the digital recording features on Tyros 2, that is a digital tape recorder which enables you to record your own voice, the sounds of the Tyros 2, external sound sources and instruments and then overdub it as many times as you like.
You dont need either a harddisk or memory DIMM's to use the Tyros 2. The harddisk is necessary to use the digital audio recording features and it gives you built in massive data storage, without having to remember to carry round and plug in USB drives or memory sticks.

Hope this helps,
Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#167967 - 11/06/05 03:46 PM Re: T2 Questions
church Offline

Loc: Fremont,CA.
Quote:
Originally posted by J. Larry:
Scott posted that he had installed a hard drive and DIMM memory into his new Tyros 2. Someone please clarify some things for me. If you don't install a hard drive, where do you save your recorded songs? Does the T2 use USB plug-in devices? Can you save to an onboard user area? If so, how many songs might that hold? And finally, what the heck is DIMM storage? What's its purpose? Does the T2 come without DIMM? By adding it, what does that allow one to do? Dumb questions, I know; but some of us are not too experienced in this sort of thing.
JLT
I don't think this was any stupid Questions not one bit.I was wondering about a few Questions myself.Simon did it all.Thanks Simon
Ron

#167968 - 11/07/05 08:02 AM Re: T2 Questions
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Simon, thanks for your clarifying response. I suppose things so obvious to some need a bit of explanation to others.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online