SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#167413 - 02/03/01 10:37 AM user styles on PSR740
Joseluis Offline

Loc: Spain
Hi, I am looking to buy a PSR740, but I see it has place for only three user styles. Please, some users of PSR... May tell me if that thing is not confortable for working with a lot of styles... If I want to have a lot of styles, and use it frequently, is it a problem? Is it preferible another keyboard, for example a Technics, of similar price?

#167414 - 02/03/01 10:58 AM Re: user styles on PSR740
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Hi,
One you that you might want to consider which gives the 740 a good run is the Casio MZ 2000. It has A LOT more features than the 740, and the MZ holds 10 user patterns at one time. Plus the MZ has a MUCH better sequencer. The 740's sequencer works completely by diskdrive. Meaning everytime you record a track/save it to disk.... The MZ has a 40,000 note sequencer which can hold up to 10 songs at a time.. If I'm correct it also has non-volitile memory meaning when yuo power down the songs will remain in memory. The MZ also has a style converter....., meaning you can use styles from other brands such as yamaha and convert them to casio format. You also have a much better speaker system. The 740 only has 6 watts and the MZ has 15 watts (big difference) They also cost the same! If you were to buy either through catalog or the web each would run you $1,099.00 Hope this helped....

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#167415 - 02/03/01 05:04 PM Re: user styles on PSR740
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I own both the 740 and the Mz. I have posted a lengthy comparison on this forum if you are ineterested. It is at the bottom of this page or maybe on page 2 by now. The more I play the MZ and play around with morphing it's internal sounds, the more I like it. Although I still prefer some of the 740s styles , the ones on the MZ are growing on me as well, and I have successfully converted several of my favorite Yamaha styles for use on the MZ. Both of these boards are nice, but for me the MZ is the hands down winner.
Al M

#167416 - 02/03/01 06:59 PM Re: user styles on PSR740
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I would also now recommend the New Roland VA-3. It sells for $1295.00 but it has over 3500 sounds, 116 drum sets, and when you make your own styles, you can put all the styles you create on one disk and use the disk link feature which lets you call up any one of all of them instantly. It also has a great 16 track sequencer besides a quick record sequencer and unlike the Yamaha, you can edit everything you can on a computer sequence program. It also adds voice editing and you can program 128 user programs, 40 super sounds and four one touch setting for each style. This is another good choice besides the Yamaha PSR 740 or Casio.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#167417 - 02/03/01 09:28 PM Re: user styles on PSR740
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello Joselius,
It is easy to substitute the user styles with new styles.
But you can not store the styles for the PSR740 . This Va3 may be a great keyboard for you.
There are a thing's that Yamaha has done well
with the PSR 740.
1. The "one touch settings" on the Yamaha PSR series are great. 4 suggested sounds and multipads that musically interact with the style . Very cool .
#2. Groove feature on te PSR 740 is kind of unique. This feature allow's you to alter the feel of the pattern without drastically changing the style . Why they did not put this feature on the PSR9000 totally escape's me ????
#3. The 740 and 640 have a keypad. I think that this helps with selecting styles and sounds .
#4 . This Roland Va3 sounds like it has better spec's . However,the Roland navigation in my opinion has always been a
little awkward ( perhaps this has changed with the VA3 ). $979.99 is the price on the PSR 740 at Guitar Center in Towson Maryland. Good luck Dan O oneils4@home.com
helps . Good Luck

#167418 - 02/03/01 10:07 PM Re: user styles on PSR740
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The navigation on the VA3 is the best I've seen. Having a large touchscreen makes it extremely easy to move around on. You don't have to use the touch screen if you don't want to. There are buttons to do everything you would want to. The keyboard also has stereo aux inputs for other keyboards or modules to play back on the internal speakers. I also haven't mentioned that just like the VA-7 which sells for approx. $1800.00 more than the VA-3, you can search and select songs to play while playing another and it is really easy to mute tracks or choose other sounds while playing. In my opinion, the VA-3 is just a slight notch down from the "big boy" arranger keyboards, and I don't think the PSR 740 has enough "pro features" in the way it records styles or songs to compete with the others like Solton, Roland, Generalmusic, Technics. To be considered a true workstation, I think you have to have an internal sequencer, and unfortunately, the Yamaha PSR740 only records to the disk and so getting around and editing and recording can be a real drag.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#167419 - 02/03/01 10:37 PM Re: user styles on PSR740
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
George,
You are absolutely right about the PSR740 and its sequencer. That is one of its biggest downfalls. It depends on the disk entirely... It also really falls short when it comes to editing too. There is no copy and paste.. No overdub recording (overdubbing can only be done understyle recording) No event editing and several other important features.. Although the 740 does have some really good gadgets like the harmonizer, master EQ, DSP, and great sounds, it really lacks a good sequencer. Although it also lacks aftertouch yamaha at least included a modulation wheel. George is right about the VA-3.. That's a nice arranger. You can't find any arranger with all those features and a touch screen in its price range. I'm hoping to sell my current pro workstation so I can get a good arranger from George...Hopefully the VA-3 or EM2000.....

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online