SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16716 - 09/29/98 10:58 PM 01/Wfd sysex file loading woes
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
I've downloaded a WAD of sysex files for the 01/W, but can't get the instrument to PLAY them! The manual says the 01 wants to see 720kb disks for this,(and I can store SMF sequences just fine this way) but my PC says that ain't enough storage room for the files! I'm also awaiting help from a BBS pal concerning Diskimage, as I also have 5 unzipped sound sets that won't load, but I'd welcome more info on possible solutions. I have no MIDI card in my PC and just want to use the Korg disk drive, but here I sit with untransferable patch files I can't use. Any tips from someone who might have been down this path already? Thenk yew!

#16717 - 09/30/98 06:18 AM Re: 01/Wfd sysex file loading woes
WS Offline

If you tape the hole on the 1.44 disk it will become a 720 and your korg can read it.

#16718 - 10/13/98 11:32 AM Re: 01/Wfd sysex file loading woes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've always used 1.44MB disks in my O1wfd, with no problems. If you have a sound card, you can purchase a $15 adapter that plugs in to the "D type" connector on it to give you access to the Midi in/out ports. Then you can use a system exclusive dump program to send the patches to the O1 from your PC through Midi.

#16719 - 10/13/98 04:20 PM Re: 01/Wfd sysex file loading woes
HellPope Huey Offline

Thanks for the tip, Andrew! I NEVER would have considered that one. I'm not a fan of cards, but this might just sway me. It seems obvious that I'm going to HAVE to buy a MIDI card and a L-O-O-O-N-G cable to reach from my PC to de big Korg if I want to beat this thing. Reminds me of the laudable "Frontal Lobe" add-on for the M1. If you know exactly WHERE to buy that card adapter, lemme know, although I can probably track it down eventually. Happy motoring & thanx again.

#16720 - 10/16/98 11:09 PM Re: 01/Wfd sysex file loading woes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got my midi adapter cable for my sound card at my loacl music store. Around $15 or so.
Good luck!

#16721 - 10/18/98 03:02 PM Re: 01/Wfd sysex file loading woes
Anonymous
Unregistered

After re-reading our discussion, I just wanted to say that the sound card I was talking about is the sound card in the computer, not the O1w's sound card. The Midi adapter cable plugs in to the port on the sound card in the computer. I just wanted to be sure we were talking about the same thing here. Sorry if you already knew this!

#16722 - 10/18/98 05:07 PM Re: 01/Wfd sysex file loading woes
HellPope Huey Offline

Thanks for the clarification. I figured it was either that or a Frontal Lobe-type add-on from some 3rd-party whiz kid. I think I'll just go for the 7-disk set from Pro-Rec and leave all this crapola behind, or at least allow it to solve itself on the 5th of whenever; I have better things to do than chase down esoteric conversion programs. Besides, once you have several varied sets of
sounds, its time to put up or shut up, ain't it? Thankee kindly for following through-THAT'S the kind of help folks NEED in a world where the synths seem smarter than the users at times, such as ME! HA!

#16723 - 10/19/98 03:31 PM Re: 01/Wfd sysex file loading woes
WS Offline

Hmmm,
taping the whole always solved this for a dozen other people that have asked. If it is looking for a 720kb disk...give it to him.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online