SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#166710 - 11/26/01 04:34 AM PSR 2000 Style Editing
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
I tried this question in some of the PSR forums, but don't quite have an answer yet. The PSR9000 style accompaniment volumes seem too high on the PSR2000. They can easily be adjusted via the Mixer, but how do the "new" settings get saved in a style file? They can be saved in the registration, but I would like them saved in the style file. It isn't clear where in the style editor volumes are set. The only parameter I notice that might do this is called "velocity". Is this where the accompaniment style volumes are set? The 9000 has many nice styles (Big Band type in particular) that are not on the 2000. I can load them from floppy, but I would like to modify them to fit the 2000 environment and then save the modified file to the floppy (or user) area. If the sounds can be adjusted, then OTS settings can be added and I would have 9000 styles, with OTS, specifically tuned for the 2000. Can this be done?

#166711 - 11/26/01 06:57 AM Re: PSR 2000 Style Editing
markod Offline

Loc: ljubljana,Slovenia
Like you said it is easy to adjust volumes in the mixer. Then just go to style editor and save the style. Or even you can access mixer from style editor.
But it is not so simple to adjust 8 parts one by one if the volumes are different. Anybody, is there a method to relatively adjust ALL the volumes of style parts at the same time.

Marko

#166712 - 11/26/01 10:41 AM Re: PSR 2000 Style Editing
Joe Waters Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by markod:
Like you said it is easy to adjust volumes in the mixer. Then just go to style editor and save the style...
Marko

Right you are, Marko. I find, to my embarassment, that my early attempts at saving the style failed because of user error (stupidity?). I was confused when their was a notation right above the SAVE button that said "bar 1". Because when I "saved" and then tried reloading, the style was all messed up and I figured I had only saved part of it. I tried saving again today and found the same problem, BUT also noticed that the accompaniment button had been turned off. When I turned it back on, everything was fine, including the new volume settings. So, the Digital Recording can be used to Save changes in the style volume, but this, like some other options, is not so clear in the manual.

#166713 - 11/26/01 11:35 AM Re: PSR 2000 Style Editing
Beakybird Offline

I use CasmEdit:

1. Open the style in CasmEdit
2. Export the style (splitting it into Casm file and Midi file
3. Open midi file in Cakewalk
4. Press select all
5. Go to MIDI EFFECTS>VELOCITY
6. Press 80%
7. Press SAVE
8. Go to CasmEdit and import files
9. Save as the same name

Now all of the tracks are 80% of the volume as before.

This is the quickest way that I've found of turning down a style.

Larry

#166714 - 11/27/01 07:51 PM Re: PSR 2000 Style Editing
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Joe,
I'm having the same problems your having.
When you boot up the board you have to make a alot of adjustments to get it ready to play. And it I guess there's know way to save these adjustments. The next time you turn it on you have to make them again.It just goes back to factory settings.
I download a style from the web. Insert the floppy in the 2000, go to to the mixer, get everthing set just like I want it, sane to Users play the style sounds fine. Move to another file and then come back it's back like it was before.
Anything thats setup in that mixer you should
be able to save to User or floppy disk!
There has got to be a way around these factory settings because they're not for every musician. I won't say them here. There all up and these pages. If you could just get your settings to stay the way put them!
Otherwise its a great board!
So far I have put about 150 board setups on on floppy disk.
Getting Late gotta go to bed.
Good night,
Nobby

------------------

#166715 - 11/28/01 06:05 PM Re: PSR 2000 Style Editing
Joe Waters Offline

Nobby, you're running into the problem I was having, but all is not lost. Here are the steps to "save" the new Style settings in the Style:
1) Make all the volume adjustments you want. Use the "Balance" to set Main, Layer, Left, etc. Use the Mixing Console to set individual accompaniment parts.
2) If this is a Preset style, you can save all your settings in a registration bank. You cannot change the preset settings.
3) If you loaded the style from floppy, or from your user area, you CAN change and save the style. If you want to change and save a preset style, you have to save it separately in the user area or on a floppy.
4) Save your adjusted file by pressing the "Digital Recording" button, and select "Style Creator."
5) Press "Next" to go to the Assembly page.
6) Press the "J" button to Save your style.
7) Select either User area or Floppy to save to.
8) Press Save and then are given an opportunity to rename the style. Name it as desired and then press OK.
9) All done; new style is saved under the name you gave it.

#166716 - 11/29/01 09:40 AM Re: PSR 2000 Style Editing
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Joe, Thanks you've been a big help!
Now I'll go try it, and I'll get back to you.
Thanks again,
Nobby

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 11-29-2001).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online