SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16656 - 04/17/02 10:24 AM is40
fricci Offline

Loc: italy
is40: is there still anyone who has it?! I do. And I find myself quite confortable with it. But...
there's no way of sequencing programs one into the following with any kind of button.
My question is: presuming to have user memory banks (up to 15) full and ready and to want to use it, and presuming you play music in a group, well... how can you know what you're really playing, in terms of bank (there's no LED), and what is next (there's no button to press).
Any idea from more experienced than me?
Thank you all.
FRICCI

#16657 - 04/17/02 10:26 AM Re: is40
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I have an is35, but I don't understand your question. Please try to simplify the exact thing you want to know, and I'll try to help you. The 35 and the 40 are very similar in most ways.

#16658 - 04/18/02 02:30 AM Re: is40
fricci Offline

Good! Simplification:
I play in a group, where I need to change in sequence various programs (up to ten/twelve instruments) for each song we play.
So I've put the programs I need in the correct sequence into the memory banks (keyboard programs A-B-C from 1 to 5, for a total of 15) and safed them into the 3.5 diskette. Perfect.
The point is that while I play music, I do not have the recognition of which keyboard program I'm using, because it does not appear on the screen and because there is no LED under the buttons 1 to 5: I only know that I'm using keyboard program bank A or B or C (those buttons do have a LED).
I imagine that if is40 only had a sequence button, all would have been solved, but unfortunately such a button/function doesn't seem to exist.
For now, I've applied a cellotape under the 1 to 5 buttons, with the programs written above: it's not very elegant, is it!
This is the reason I why need THE suggestion.
Thank you again for your help!!!
fricci

#16659 - 04/18/02 02:41 PM Re: is40
Uncle Dave Offline

You can always write a program setup in the "C" bank of the rhythm section. Do you use a lot of style play or sequence play?

#16660 - 04/19/02 06:16 AM Re: is40
fricci Offline

Thank you for reply again.
That's interesting: somehow I was thinking about it. No, I do not use styles or sequences at all, I only use different instruments in scrolling (one by one, one after the other) and I can arrive up to ten/twelve in the same song.
So, assuming that in the same arrangement program I can only have two instruments (Upper 1 and Upper 2, because Lower has only the left side of the keyboard), I should use up to 5/6 style programs - but this would not be a problem.
The question remains: could I go through them with a simple button-push?
If you can give me a helping hand in this, you will not only have my own gratitude, but also the one of my companions, who do not stand any more my pieces of cellotape changing from song to song and slowing everybody's work.

#16661 - 04/19/02 11:20 AM Re: is40
Uncle Dave Offline

In the user section of the arranger - you have the option of writing 64 "presets" that contain all the accompaniment parts, as well as the real time parts. In theory .... you can run a midi cable out of the unit, and go right back INTO the unit and access all the accominiment channels from the keys as well. You'd have to turn OFF the local control, and keep changing midi TRANSMIT channels.
A more simple approach is to just set up the real-time voices R1, R2 & L and save them to a user location....say, U11. Then save a different set to U12, etc.....
Changing from one to the next would be as easy as pushing two buttons in the arranger section.
Does THAT help?

#16662 - 04/22/02 01:56 AM Re: is40
fricci Offline

Yes: I finally stand up and realize I'll have to push 2 buttons instead of 1 - I won't try to connect via midi, choosing the easiest way of course.
Thanking you again for your courtesy and competence, let me spend a couple of words to introduce me and our group.
Me as a player: beside an old Roland JV30 (light but too basic) and a new Yamaha PSR9000 (optimum but too heavy), I decided to get another keyboard to carry with me when I play; I met this occasion of IS40 (used, in good conditions) and I appreciated so much the variety and the quality of sounds. If Korg engineers only thought of a scrolling button!
My group: we all have other jobs, but we meet on sundays to ...we say practice in playing, being all music amateurs - without any public - and we do music created by ourselves.
Just yesterday we thought we could record something: so, if you think you won't get bored listening some Italian guys playing their own progressive rock, and you have time to wait for the "recording session" to come, I'll be honored to attach an enough short piece to your E-mail.
Thank you again for all your help and your patience.

#16663 - 04/22/02 12:30 PM Re: is40
Uncle Dave Offline

Yes - by all means, send us a sample. I'm glad it's working out for you. I might be using my is35 a little more, now that I got rid of my psr2000.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online