SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#1665 - 06/02/05 09:01 PM need help with mp3 and web server
Anonymous
Unregistered

hello all...i'm looking to put up a webpage which will have my bands mp3's zipped to be downloaded so people can check them out along with two other pages of band information......my problem is i'm looking for a decent webserver that will allow mp3's on the site and theres a million out there...i'd like to use a small business server...ive been told ipowerweb is good for small business stuff...does anyone have any opinions on it or can you point me in the direction of another server?

#1666 - 06/04/05 05:40 AM Re: need help with mp3 and web server
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Hello, Zartan!

Did you have a look at 1&1 sites? It's a german provider but I think there are servers in america too. I know that they have a good service for webhosting and they aren't very expensive. There servers are fast.

Another possibility that I know is http://www.dbss.com/ (there are no viewable offers of that type because their webpage wasn't upgraded, yet, but you can contact them directly per email)
I'm using this provider for my own. He's not very cheap but he has a very good and fast service. There servers are also very fast. If you've made an upload you can see it right in the same time on your browser.

Whatever you decide to choose make sure that the amount of free transfer volume that providers offer is big enough for you because music downloads are very large and you'll reach the limit very fast!

Offering mp3 files means that you'll need some disc space on your server. Calculate about 3MB per mp3 file (based on ca. 3 min song @ 44.1kHz compressed to 128kbit). So, you'll need about 30MB for ten songs. Add the disc space you'll need for some good band photos and ...*plop*... suddenly you'll have reached up to 50MB disc space...
At this storage level it would be nice to have a free transfer volume up to 50 Gigabytes (better more)!!! This was worth to ME about 25,- EUR per month (with one own domain name!)...

Good luck on your quest!
------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 06-04-2005).]

#1667 - 06/05/05 02:26 PM Re: need help with mp3 and web server
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi...thanks for the information...its been a great help!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online