SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16614 - 04/20/99 01:28 AM HELP!!! M1 and Cakewalk
Anonymous
Unregistered

I need help BAD getting Cakewalk (8) and a Korg M1 to work THE WAY I WANT THEM TO.

I am trying to play one of the sample files that comes with Cakewalk (Ballad #2 for example). I finally figured out that in order to get Cakewalk to play all the different instruments required by the song, I had to create a COMBINATION and assign to each "channel" a particular sound (program). (Is this REALLY the way to do it?)

Here's my current questions:

1. Will I not be able to select the desired instrument from the list available within Cakewalk? (Cakewalk calls this a PATCH.) It appears that I have to pick the instrument from within the M1.

2. Can the effects (chorus and reverb) be adjusted on the CONSOLE view for individual sounds (channels) being played by the M1?

3. I have added a reverb effect within the EDIT COMBI mode on the M1. It applies the effect to every sound within the COMBInation created. Is it possible to add a seperate effect to each sound?

It seems that the M1 is a pain since it is not GM compliant, and the book is horrible!

Thanks for any help.

David W. Carroll
reply to dcarroll@onramp.net

#16615 - 04/20/99 12:29 PM Re: HELP!!! M1 and Cakewalk
PEO Offline

Loc: Vännäs, Sweden
Hi there, got problems???

Answer 1:

This is solved by telling the synth that it will receive Program Change from external channel. Probably you will set this for the all channels at once, but sometimes you may set it for each channel. So look for Program Change in your manual and in the Combisound menus.

Answer 2,3:

There are not many synthesizers on the market that can assign different effects on different channels. This is not possible because you will need a complete FX-unit for each individual channel and that would be to expensive. Therefore you are restricted to use one global effect in a combi and I agree that it is boring, I have the same problem with my Korg Wavestation.
An advice would be to get a cheap FX-unit like the Alesis Nanoverb to have some choice, but this will of course cost money.

Good luck to you and send me a mail if you have problems, says:

PEO!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online