SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#165928 - 03/24/03 09:25 AM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
XG works does do a very good job of allowing the user to edit patch parameters, and it is invaluable to me as the host software for the editors of my Motif Plug ins. The drawback I had with the 740 ( and I think this was the case with the 2k as well ) is that the patch edits I was able to configure with XG works could not be saved as an internal sound. Not good for live works unless I was to bring a laptop with me ( and that would be more work than I'd want to do in a live situation ). The edits could however be saved inside of a midi file.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 03-24-2003).]

#165929 - 03/25/03 07:44 PM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
The "loudness" of the PSR-2000 organ styles originates, I believe, because Yamaha automatically turns off Touch response when you select an organ voice. They rightly assume that organ keyboards are not touch sensitive, however, they ignore the fact that organists have toes and control the volume with their foot! I also agree that the impact is magnified enormously by layering the sounds. Sam Safran has created some great sustained organ styles that sound terrific on the PSR-2000. You can get those styles from my site as well as several other places on the net. Here is a direct link: http://psrtutorial.com/Files/F_Styles/S_User/s_user.html

This is the same page that has Gary Diamond's "Gig Disks". Scroll to the bottom of the page for Sam's organ styles.

[This message has been edited by Joe Waters (edited 03-25-2003).]

#165930 - 03/26/03 05:59 AM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
It's worse than that, Joe. Touch reponse is still there because it applies to the actual keyboard. The problem is that the velocity of the panel organs is fixed in the synth so that not only does touch response not work, you can't alter the velocity through midi either. Makes my blood boil. I've complained bitterly to Yamaha about this but they come up with lame excuses about wanting the organs to be like "real" organs. The XG organs have touch response however, so they're the ones I always use, suitably layered.

Bryan

#165931 - 03/26/03 09:02 PM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
Starkeeper---to me what was really weak on the psr2000 was the leslie effect, which to me is a very big deal. It really does depend on what you want to hear when you think "organ"---some are thinking "church" and some Jimmy Smith-----I was thinking Booker T,and it just ain't there on the Yamaha.

A.J.---KarnEvil 9!---now that's an organ sound! Any fans of Goldy McJohn around???? He got those great grinding organ sounds for Steppenwolf. I know that I'm supposed to mellow out in my old age but it ain't happened yet!
Bill

#165932 - 03/27/03 08:45 AM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Bill E,
I am interested in Hammond B3 with Leslie sounds not "church" pipe organ sounds. Actually I think the pipe organ sounds are adequate. The sounds of Jimmy Smith, Booker T, Santana, Deep Purple. I haven't mellowed yet either. I still like rock-n-roll after all these years.
I use to own a Hammond L100 with a Leslie 122. Man that was sweet. I still miss the feeling you get when the Leslie spins up. Sigh!
Starkeeper

#165933 - 03/27/03 09:03 AM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
BillE

KarnEvil9 sure is quite the organ sound, and Keith Emerson is quite the player. I have nothing in the arsenal that meets that sound exactly but the PA80 has sounds that are a lot closer than the Yamaha stuff, and are more than adequate for live work. In spite of that, I'm getting another 2000 as a backup / complement rig to the PA80 for live venues. The flutes and some other sounds are very good on the 2000. Good enough that when I played the flute sound, it fooled a store full of customers.

Still, I'm looking at different software synths like the B4 ..etc and maybe I can tailor a sound that comes closer and sample it onto my Motif, but if not, at least I'd have it for studio work. The current organs on the Motif are woefully inadequate for those old rock organ sounds, but that is one of the only weak points of the board. It does an almost perfect vintage Rhodes, the basses are thick, the ac pianos excellent, and the sax / horn sounds with the VL plug in using a breathe controller are very nice. It does some killer synth sounds with the AN plug in too. While I can't replicate all of those sounds on the 2k, there are quite a few that sound similar to their counterparts from the Motif, so the 2k shall be mine again.

AJ

#165934 - 03/27/03 10:00 PM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
Starkeeper--nice list, Greg Rolie for Santana was smokin'! I heard "Evil Ways" on the oldies station the other day and was once again caught up in that great sound. And Jon Lord for Deep Purple was another great tone,one of the most percussive hammond sounds on record. I do not believe that you will find those sounds on any of todays' arrangers, but I would not go back to lugging around a B3 and leslie either! ( I played guitar but it took the whole band to move that gear around).You will probably have to buy a dedicated tone module to find satisfaction,but if I had the chops I would do it in a heartbeat. Good luck

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online