SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#165918 - 03/20/03 09:06 PM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
My only problem is with the factory set volumes when calling up one of the organs on the fly. Most seem way too loud and overpower the style. However, when tweaked correctly into a registration, no problem.
Eddie

#165919 - 03/20/03 09:35 PM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
They are not going to win any awards!

Like betweengigs (Eddie) says, they are way loud and overpowering on a lot of the OTS. I turn them down to about 80 volume as a lead voice!

And they sound mushy (crappy-ish), unless played an octave higher.

There's my professional opinion!

Tom G.

#165920 - 03/21/03 06:55 AM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Bluezplayer,
I have to agree in that the organ sounds were good on the MZ, and yes that Velo sax was really impressive.. I wonder if Casio has any plans for say an MZ-3000 or something along those lines
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#165921 - 03/21/03 07:28 AM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Hmm. I haven't heard of anything from them but they would have to implement more than a few improvements before I went that route again squeak. The MZ had some cool stuff going on but it wasn't a board I'd ever bring to a show. It was in some ways a nice addition to the home studio though. The biggest problem is that they made it and kind of orphaned it after that.. There were several things that could have ben upgraded with just a new OS release If Casio had chosen to do so, but as usual they don't seem willing to take the needed steps to become a serious contender in the pro / semi pro market. Well, today ( or possibly tomorrow ) I'll be going to check out the Tyros again and I'll be listening closely to the organ sounds. The PSR2000 is on display also so I'll give that a close listen again too.

AJ

#165922 - 03/21/03 12:41 PM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Thanks all for replying. I appreciate your opinions.
Bluezplayer, when you try the PSR2000, please post your impressions. You are correct about the volume being too loud on organ sounds.
Starkeeper

#165923 - 03/21/03 03:54 PM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Mike,
Yes, I do have a "Y2K"
I`ll give it a try and thanks for the "tip"
But I have played around with that KB for over a year now and I still find myself "wanting" an Organ Sound that isn`t there.
If tried "tweeking" and all the other adjustments , and still after a while it seem`s like it`s missing something.
But for the price it still has the "Best Organ Sounds" I`ve heard in an electronic KB . IMO--for the price .
You can get better , but not for under a "K"
jedi

#165924 - 03/21/03 07:44 PM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I agree with Jedi, the Y2k organ sounds are good and very editable, but if you're looking for a real B3 sound, sooner or later you're gonna start looking again. I've had Voce and Roland organs in the past and essentially all of the top mfgrs. have very good B3 samples. I am originally an organ guy and will probably start looking for a CX3 or VK8 soon. But don't discount the organ sounds on the Y2k if you are looking for an arranger keyboard. I love my 2k; sold a Korg iX300 to get it. By the way, most of the Korg "AI" organ sounds were weak too. My finalword is, as always, IF YOU WANT A DRAWBAR ORGAN SOUND, YOU NEED A DRAWBAR ORGAN. Good luck

------------------
Cass Pawlowski
Detroit, MI
PSR2000, Roland SC88
Cakewalk, Sonar, Power Tracks, BIAB

#165925 - 03/21/03 09:00 PM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Starkeeper,

The 2000 organ sounds are pretty much as I had remembered them to be. Don't get me wrong. They certainly aren't bad sounds, but for me they are not particularly inspiring either. I didn't spend enough time on the Tyros to know for sure, and the Tyros did sound a little better overall than the 2000, but there were no organs on it in my brief time with it today that really moved me either. Since it is completely out of the realm of reality that I'd bring a real B3 to every show with me, I'll gladly use combi or layered voices that I made up for the PA80( aka performances ) over anything I heard today. Perhaps with some editing I'd get a better organ sound on the Yamaha's, but I've tried quite extensively on the Motif to little avail, and what I heard today doesn't make me confident that the Yamaha arrangers will do a lot better. Now the saxes and Flutes from the Tyros turned more than one head when I played them through a store sound system. The salesman and a couple of customers in the reed / horn dept couldn't believe what they were hearing. When I played those sounds on the 2000 and even the 1000 it got some attention too. My guitar player was there and he thought a couple of the Tyros guitar sounds were very good. He did not evaluate the 2000's quite as highly, but overall he was impressed with some of the guitars on both ( he also thinks the ones on the PA80 are very good )

I don't know though. I'm still not convinced I want to spend $2,500+ on a board that won't allow sampling, won't let me add my Yamaha plug-in boards, is limited in voice patch editing capability vs my other two boards, and will still likely serve as the second instrument in my live setup ( the PA80 is going nowhere ). I would spend Tyros bucks and still absolutely need my Motif ( not that I want to part with it anyway ). Perhaps the 2000 or 2100 is the better answer for me, with remaining funds going to upgrade my sound system and perhaps purchase a TC helicon vocalizer unit, or maybe another look at the 9000 pro is in order for me. I'm even open to looking at the G1000 again at this point. I've never tried the ketron stuff either, so until I do, I won't totally rule them out despite any comments I've seen / heard positive or negative.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 03-21-2003).]

#165926 - 03/22/03 08:35 AM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Jedi, if you want to get some better organ sounds from your 2000, use XGworks with my 740/2000 updates (which you can find on Jorgen's Unofficial PSR website at home7.inet.tele.dk/js/musik/740pages . You'll need a computer (I use a cheap laptop for portability) but you'll get access to all 5 DSPs and the ability to layer up to 16 organ voices on to one voice. That way you can make the 2000 sound like anything you care to name. Works wonders on my 740 as well.

Bryan

#165927 - 03/22/03 06:40 PM Re: Your opinion on organ sounds on PSR2000
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Pilot,
Thanks , but I have a "Mac" and I don`t think XG-Works will "work" with a "Mac"
But I do thank you ,
Too bad my computer "hates software" , every time I have tried to load midi software in the past , many "crashes and conflics" so now I don`t even have a "midi-interface"
I keep telling myself "buy a "PC" but if you ever owned a "Mac" you`ll know way I still have a "Mac" ----O-- well--- Maybe 2 computers like you suggested a "PC" laptop and a "Mac" "Yikes"----talk about confussing!!! hahahaha
Thanks again,
jedi

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online