SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#165597 - 05/22/07 10:24 PM memory card vs. USB
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
when i loaded my memorycard with styles for my roland E60, i discovered i could not arrange the styles in different folders, because the folders were not recognized, but only the files.
is it the same with USB pendrives? is it possible to make more folders on these drives, to categorize the styles into "pop", "8 beat", "16beat", etc?
for sure that would be handy...
thanks!

#165598 - 05/23/07 12:06 AM Re: memory card vs. USB
o3bor Offline

You cannot use USB pen drives with E-60 and, if ever, it would behave same as the external card.
I suggest you to use the Finder fields like 'Genre' to categorize your styles.

#165599 - 05/23/07 04:27 AM Re: memory card vs. USB
adimatis Offline

no no no. i know i can not use usb for e60.
i wonder in general... t2 or pa800 or other keyboards that use usb drive.
anyone?

#165600 - 05/23/07 10:23 AM Re: memory card vs. USB
Swissman Offline

Loc: Moita, Portugal
After six years of almost daily SZ reading, looking for new informations about arrangers, I decided to register myself. Why? Well, basically because I am a pure amateur hobbyst (music is a passion, not a job) and normally I donīt fell confortable in replying on a forum where 99 percent of the users can provide better answers than me.

However, this time is different, as aparently nobody could provide the help requested.

Here it goes: I own a G-70 and a Tyros 2 (with two synths-Yamaha SY-85 and Korg Triton Le and a digital piano - roland KR-7) and was not able to buy a Pa1X because my wife would ask the divorce, so I am providing some lights on this issue based on my experience with the G-70 and Tyros 2.

On the Roland boards there is only one folder where you can insert new styles (the "Put New Styles Here" folder, both internally or on a memory card). That means you can't have subfolders, but you have a database available if you fill the fields properly, on the board or using a database manager (where you can arrange the files by name, genre, file name, etc).

On the Yamaha, you can use the USB pendrive as in a computer: folders, subfolders, as you wish.

Both systems have their pros and cons:
- on the Rolands, you can search data within the database (if looking for a specific style or song, for example) but you should use the database functions to sort data and limited to one folder
- On the Yamahas you can organise your files in folders as you wish, but inside the folders the files will always be sorted alphabetically and you donīt have search facilities (like you have on the music finder).

I hope this answers your question, and please let me take this opportunity to thank all the great SZ members who helped me, silently, to choose my two arrangers and to learn a lot about music, making my life better.

God bless you all.

Carlos

#165601 - 05/23/07 12:02 PM Re: memory card vs. USB
adimatis Offline

carlos,
let me be the first one to welcome you as official member of the board!

thanks for your answer, is what i was looking for. even tho i own a roland E60, and have alot of styles on memory card, i think i'd like better the way yamaha use the usb drive... maybe because i like the "tree" system...

#165602 - 05/23/07 02:47 PM Re: memory card vs. USB
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I use a usb 4 slot , multi card reader with my psr 1500.
1 card per slot ( sd, smartmedia, compact flash, memory stick( I think).
I have numerous folders on each of these cards. My styles are sorted out by genre.
I have a card for, styles, songs, registrations & multipads. Saves having everything on the same card.
Best part is I just unplug the reader from the keyboard, plug straight into the computer to do any sorting, & back up.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by adimatis:
no no no. i know i can not use usb for e60.
i wonder in general... t2 or pa800 or other keyboards that use usb drive.
anyone?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online