SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#165423 - 12/11/01 08:30 PM Re: Yamaha PSR 2000: Disappointing Bass line patterns !
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I agree Scott. Bass lines in the existing styles are one of the things that I always disliked about the Yamaha styles in general. I too am more of a jazz oriented player, ( along with a healthy dose of blues of course ), although I am more into Jazz Fusion, Modern, and Acid jazz, but the styles don't suit these genres any better than they do Swing or Big Band styles of Jazz. The simple bass lines in Yamaha styles probably work pretty well for doing top 40 classics and 8 and 16 beat ballads as well as other genres along those lines. In reality, it's tough enough anyway for me to be expressive with any manufacturers styles, for what I like to play best, but Yamaha's are among ther poorest choices for me. ( but pretty cool when I go to a rock ballad or 16 beat ballad ) I think most of the stuff I'm happiest with when doing Jazz genres if I don't do it all manually gets started in Jazz++ sequencer and sometimes Jammer Pro with a reworked or custom made style. Should I wish to use these patterns in a real time setting, Style making / Conversion programs are a true blessing as well.

AJ

#165424 - 12/11/01 09:55 PM Re: Yamaha PSR 2000: Disappointing Bass line patterns !
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The new "session styles" from the 2000 and many from the new CVP models are only compatable in the 1000, 2000 and new CVP207 and 209. If you try to load these session styles into the 9000 or 740, they will not show up. These new session styles have much more "in your face" bass patterns and style programming and I believe this is some of the new direction of the Yamaha programmers. I was playing one of the new styles on my 2000 at the store tonight (it was one of the Jazz styles from the CVP209 library) and I noticed that if I didn't change chords just a touch ahead of the downbeat, a slight glitch would occur. I remember reading about the Korg PA80 having this problem on some of it's buzier styles. Korg explained that this was just the complexity of numerous tracks and not a problem in the keyboard. Yamaha engineers told me earlier this year that their direction in making more complex styles would at certain times cause these kinds of glitches in the playing of these styles. It seems it's just the price you pay for more exciting styles. All in all, the walking bass lines, etc. are much more exciting in some of these new "session" styles.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, california
(Retired 2021)

#165425 - 12/11/01 10:43 PM Re: Yamaha PSR 2000: Disappointing Bass line patterns !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Thanks Larry & George for explaining the 'Sessions' styles as well as where to find them. ahhhhhh. At last, finally . . . . some Yamaha styles with decent bass lines ! I'm thrilled that Yamaha has finally come on board with jazz/blues styles with good bass lines now, though I still think Technics does better overall in this genre. I'm just glad that I'm able to convert my jazz favorites over from my Technics KN5000 to the PSR2000.

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 12-11-2001).]

#165426 - 12/12/01 03:26 AM Re: Yamaha PSR 2000: Disappointing Bass line patterns !
Rodrigues Offline

Loc: Portugal
Scott,

About the need to use the StyleEdit software.
According with PSR 2000 owner's manual page 110 "Before recording to one of the non rhythm chanels (BASS-PHR 2), make sure to delete the existent data of the appropriated channel".
To avoide this execute StyleEdit. Load the style. Check the box "Make all style parts editable". Click on Save or Save as to save the style. Using a disk load this changed style to the PSR 2000. Now you can edit all tracks without first delete them.
It's the same for the other models like 740 or 730. I guess it's the same on 9000 ?? I don't know for sure.

Regards
Carlos Rodrigues

[This message has been edited by Rodrigues (edited 12-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Rodrigues (edited 12-12-2001).]

#165427 - 12/12/01 07:10 AM Re: Yamaha PSR 2000: Disappointing Bass line patterns !
Bluezplayer Offline

Carlos..

I don't see this option at all on Michael P Bedesem's style edit software. Am I missing something or is this on a different software program?

AJ

#165428 - 12/12/01 07:50 AM Re: Yamaha PSR 2000: Disappointing Bass line patterns !
Bluezplayer Offline

Ahh, I just checked and realized that there is an updated version...Now I see it...lol

AJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online