SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#115205 - 12/11/01 05:58 AM More info abou the new Roland EM55 ...enjoy !
Denis007 Offline

Loc: Ottawa,ONT,CANADA
Hello

Here is more info about the new Roland arranger EM55.
It looks quite impressive for only $687.6 at SynthPlanet.

EM-55

Taking a bold step that could possibly change the future of arranger-based keyboards, Roland introduces the EM-55 - a new 61 note, interactive keyboard which boasts a brand new user interface, a totally re-designed control panel and a host of newly developed features.

With newly programmed styles, 3641 sounds and a music assistant function only previously found on our top of the range VA keyboard, the EM-55 is the perfect instrument for live performances and educational purposes alike.

The Sounds
Loaded with 3641 sounds, 128 styles, 116 drum kits and 47 M-FX (multi-effects) the EM-55 is definitely at the top of the EM line up. Furthermore, it's 64 voice polyphonic, GM/GS compatible sound engine can be equally compared with Roland's professional VA-Series keyboards, which, according to the press, provide the best and most dynamic sounds currently on the market.

User Interface
Featuring a large, wide backlit LCD and colour coded buttons for style and tone selection, the EM-55's control panel and user interface have been totally re-designed for ease of use. Improvements include quicker access to the Style Morphing and Orchestrator functions and a new EZ search function which allows you to select music styles and sounds at the touch of a button.

Session Partner
The EM-55's new Session Partner concept allows users to add real-time phrases to the selected style and helps them create 'groove music' thanks to the 64 onboard DJ phrases. Encompassing three functions you can:

Switch on/mute the arranger's accompaniment parts;
Select from among 8 phrase patterns to be played either in isolation or together with the selected music style (thus adding a ninth accompaniment part; or Use the eight Session Partner buttons to create remixes of existing phrases.

The session partner buttons can also be used for muting and switching on individual tracks of the 16-track sequencer, allowing you to be creative even with your recorded music.

Performance Functions
Assigning a function to the D-beam controller has now become more flexible and straightforward with the addition of 50 ready-to-use settings. Their subdivision into four groups: DJ Gear; Instruments;Sound Effects; and Controls allows for quick selection of the desired function and makes life easier when controlling the keyboard through the invisible ray.
You also have the option of connecting either a Sustain footswitch, an expression pedal, or using the pitch bend/modulation wheel for even more realtime control.

16 Track Sequencer
Of course, the EM-55 also sports a 16-track sequencer with several edit functions. You can use it for recording and arranging your own songs and your versions of existing song material. Playing back Standard MIDI Files is also possible, while one track can be used interactively.

Music Assistant, Musical Games and more
Previously only found on our top of the range VA keyboard, we've added Music Assistant (a database with instant access to 100 pre-loaded programs) for quick set ups of your favourite music. In addition there are 64 user programs for saving your own registrations and new musical games like guess the note, guess the chord and chord finder.
With the addition of style morphing and orchestrator functions, you can blend two styles together to create a unique sound or create your own styles, and with 18 types of melody intelligence you can add harmony parts to your solo lines.

The info was extracted from www.roland.co.uk

Regards,

Denis

#115206 - 12/11/01 06:45 AM Re: More info abou the new Roland EM55 ...enjoy !
Dnj Offline

#115207 - 12/11/01 08:28 AM Re: More info abou the new Roland EM55 ...enjoy !
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote---128 styles, 116 drum kits...
Well, maybe I don't reach up to this level
musical level, but what on earth is wrong
here, almost more drumkits than styles?
I have to admit, my brain is too small....
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#115208 - 12/11/01 08:24 PM Re: More info abou the new Roland EM55 ...enjoy !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
3641 sounds. . . Rats I wanted at least 4,000. Oh, I forgot, I only use about 10.
Seriously, what does one do with 3600 sounds?
DonM

#115209 - 12/11/01 11:16 PM Re: More info abou the new Roland EM55 ...enjoy !
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
...plays a song in 3600 different ways, of course!

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 12-13-2001).]

#115210 - 12/11/01 11:18 PM Re: More info abou the new Roland EM55 ...enjoy !
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
On a more serious note, I think that, like in my VA7, many of the sounds are just to ensure compatibility with the styles from older keyboards, like the G1000, the G800, etc.
Best regards
Andy

#115211 - 12/12/01 05:59 AM Re: More info abou the new Roland EM55 ...enjoy !
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Don,

We can play 3600 choruses of "All My Ex's Live In Texas". Seriously I too use only about a dozen on a regular basis. I also think all those drum kits are overkill.

Tom

Tom

#115212 - 12/12/01 07:43 AM Re: More info abou the new Roland EM55 ...enjoy !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The Roland approach to sound banks is to include all the previous sounds along with the new and improved versions of the SAME sounds! Not such a terrible idea, but slightly misleading if you think you're setting a massive arsenal of different tones.

In reality - you can divide that total number by 3, because they give you the original "sound canvas" tone bank, the "G1000" sound bank, and the new "VA series" sound bank all included. Many improvements are noticeable, but some are quite the same. It's an easy way to "load up" on sounds without loosing any old users. If you have sequences recorded on an older Roland GM instrument - the new ones play back just fine.

It's like Baskin Robbins ...... anyone ever had ALL 31 flavors ?
And how 'bout Heinz ........... 57 varieties of Katsup ???? C'Mon ! It's all tomatoes!

#115213 - 12/12/01 11:50 AM Re: More info abou the new Roland EM55 ...enjoy !
Artaher Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Yes, EM55 likes impressive at same price of PSR1000. But it has a great problem: I think you can't modify voices and volume asigned to each part of arrangement. So, if it is so, EM55 belong to another world. Do you know if that is ok?

#115214 - 12/12/01 12:11 PM Re: More info abou the new Roland EM55 ...enjoy !
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
The Em-55 is priced near $699US...for that kind of specification...I say it beats the PSR1000 indeed...but, sound is more important so let's play it first before we say that!

------------------
Vic:)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online