SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#165385 - 07/18/03 12:17 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Trtjazz (Terry):
What I don't get is why eveyone that wants break music just doesn't load up a half dozen songs on floppy and just play them through their board and they will have their stereo out?......

Terry: The PSR2000 & Tyros floppy/hd only supports playback of midi files. For my break music, I play background style cover tunes. What I do is convert from CD to MP3 format so they play in my 'ultra tiny' portable 192 mg capacity MP3 player (2.4 oz, 2-1/2 x 3-1/2 inches) and which holds scores of songs.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I'll be eagerly awaitng the Final Answer to the Mystery asap.....

Hi Donny: I thought I had 'already answered' the question initially near the top of this thread (2nd respondent), but guess it wasn't made as clear as I hoped.

As I mentioned before, I connect my stereo MP3 (Rio 500) player (via its single stereo headphone output jack) into the single mic/line input jack on either my Tyros or PSR2000 keyboard (for background music during breaks) , and the resultant sound output thru both keyboards is always 'MONO'. Both ends of the stereo cable consist of a stereo (tip-ring sleeve) plug . I hope this clears up all the confusion.

Scott

#165386 - 07/18/03 12:28 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Dnj Offline

Scott, I understand what your doing with your MP3 player via the 2k, but for my shows I need a seperate Stereo L/R, signal which cannot be obtained on the 2k.....I used to do it on the Aux L/R inputs on my 9k though which has this. So I will just have to keep running my audio output from my laptop to my stereo rack mixer channel to achieve Stereo on my Mp3's thru the mains.
Thanx for your info and everyone else too.

#165387 - 07/18/03 12:44 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
I am quite aware the boards playback midi....

1. There are plenty of midis available for free on the net.

2. You guys are pros that make your living playing music...I would think you guys could come up with 15 minutes worth of music to play as backround music. Perhaps read some sheet music and play it into the sequencer. Or am I wrong?
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#165388 - 07/18/03 12:56 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Terry...
Speaking just for myself, I do it both ways, but most often prefer using MP3s on break for several reasons.

Between sets I will often load a different set of user styles into memory and set up the next registration I plan to use or tweak an existing registration that I just played and didn't sound quite right. You can't do that while a midi is playing.

With the MP3 player you can make playlists of songs, on the fly, in the order you want them to play. I tried doing that in advance at home with midi, but most always find there is something in the midi list I wish I had or had not included.

And, like Scott, I use some cover material that I have not been able to find in midi.

But, I also use some real easy listening midi during breaks at low key parties that work just great.
Eddie

#165389 - 07/18/03 03:47 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
hi Terry, the reason I prefer background style MP3/CD cover songs vs personally created midi files (during the break) is that it:

1) better distinguishes between & provides constrast to what's presented during the show itself.

2) provides the audience recognizable background style 'cover tunes' which best gives them the permission to talk (more loudly) and move about the room (more freely).

I want my break music to be different than what I do in my show. It's only function is as background filler. I prefer playing CD cuts (not arranger midi file interpretations) that the general public typically hears in public areas: shopping malls, supermarkets, elevators, etc.

Scott

#165390 - 07/18/03 04:10 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I just recieved a copy of the schematic diagram for the input of the PSR-740, which according to the tech guy at the local music store, is identical to the 2000. Guess what--it has a stereo jack that is wired for mono use--just like I said earlier.

OK! Kill the messenger!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#165391 - 07/18/03 04:16 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Dnj Offline

Gary ,

Thanx for helping clear things up on this mysterious topic.

You Da Man!!!

#165392 - 07/18/03 08:26 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
hi Terry, the reason I prefer background style MP3/CD cover songs vs personally created midi files (during the break) is that it:

1) better distinguishes between & provides constrast to what's presented during the show itself.

2) provides the audience recognizable background style 'cover tunes' which best gives them the permission to talk (more loudly) and move about the room (more freely).

I want my break music to be different than what I do in my show. It's only function is as background filler. I prefer playing CD cuts (not arranger midi file interpretations) that the general public typically hears in public areas: shopping malls, supermarkets, elevators, etc.

Scott

Scott,
Ok, whatever.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 07-18-2003).]

#165393 - 07/18/03 10:56 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I just recieved a copy of the schematic diagram for the input of the PSR-740, which according to the tech guy at the local music store, is identical to the 2000. Guess what--it has a stereo jack that is wired for mono use--just like I said earlier.

OK! Kill the messenger!

Gary

It just doesn't sound logical that they would even put in a "Stereo" jack to begin with and then only wire it for "Mono". What would be the purpose of putting in a "Stereo" Jack in the first place if its only purpose was a "Mono" signal? It just doesn't make any sense. I still think there is a fly in the soup with the reponse that Gary gave. First of all the PSR 740 is not a PSR 2000. It was a 'revolutionary' step up when they produced the PSR 2000 compared to the 740 not just a little blip on the radar screen with no consequential or significant advancement or improvement. The PSR 2000 is another "breed" of animal not a close or even a distant cousin to the 740 imo. Another thing is: we all know that most of these salespeople in these Music Stores like Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc. don't know much about anything a lot of times when it comes to technical knowledge of the products they sell. They usually give a very flipant answer to even the most basic technical question you put to them. A lot of times they just egg you on so they get you to buy from them on the same day if they can. They make a commission on what they sell, so a lot of times they're just trying to pacify you so you'll make the plunge and buy from them or simply agree with you because they want you to feel comfortable and that they're on your side, etc., and could care less about facts and figures and all that technical mumbo jumbo. I know because I experience it almost every time I go into GC.

Like I said before, probably the only person that can settle it for sure is our very own Steve Deming and he is probably looking in on all of this and laughing so hard his side hurts and is letting the dice roll as they may. [Or he could be at NAMM as I stated earlier and won't be back at the office until Monday.] Or he could be on vacation.

PS: You know, they really should put more effort into those User Manuals they include with the Keyboards. It sure would make things a lot easier on everybody and put an end to these needless speculations that they generate because of the lack thereof of complete Keyboard specifications, how-to's, and other pertinent information that is vital and necessary for the owner to know about the Keyboard he or she just purchased. Will it happen though??? You and I will need to convince the Manufacturers of that necessity and they have to be willing to provide their customers with what they want and need and deserve before it will.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 07-18-2003).]

#165394 - 07/19/03 12:00 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It's mono. People here have attested to that. They performed actual tests. What kind of proof do you need? The guy on the phone didn't know what he was talking about. It's mono.
It's mono.
It's mono.
BTW- What do Mono and herpes have in common?
....well, you can get mono from snatchin' a kiss..........

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online