SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#165375 - 07/17/03 06:45 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Good morning Fran,

Yes sir, right out of the 1202 VLZ manual.

mike

#165376 - 07/17/03 07:01 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Catsailor Offline

Donny,

Yes, Steve Demming is from Yamaha, but he obviously is not seeing or answering your post. Why not just call Yamaha direct and get the correct information and put an end to this guessing game before fists start to fly?!

Peter

#165377 - 07/17/03 07:56 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Catsailor:
Donny,

Yes, Steve Demming is from Yamaha, but he obviously is not seeing or answering your post.
Peter

My guess is that Steve Deming is probably in Nashville at NAMM preparing for the opening on "Friday" and he will probably stay for the whole 3 day Run then fly back Sunday night so he can make it home in time to get back to the Salt Mines by Monday.

That's right "1" day and counting till Summer NAMM.

NOTE: Or Steve could be "hovering" over these posts and 'this' one in particular and gleefully laughing to himself at all our consternation, frustration and mind numbing answers to a "Simple" question.

I probably live closest of any of our SZ Members to Yamaha's Corporate Headquarters in California except maybe one. But I already called them over a year ago about this same question and they already gave me an answer! You mean to say they already said it was a Balanced Stereo Input???

Yes,.... 'Donny' I did... But I am only telling you what they told me.

Best regards,
Mike

#165378 - 07/17/03 08:22 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Dnj Offline

I didnt mean to start an agressive contrversey over this semmimngly simple question. I'm sorry if anyone is offended. But I will gladly remove the thread if yiu want to eliviate tension?

#165379 - 07/17/03 08:57 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Now don't get paranoid Donny.. Hold back on that trigger finger will ya' My post was all in jest and in amusing forethought. As you can see by all my smilies, etc. But Yammie really did tell me over a year ago when I called them that it 'was' a balanced input. And because of the "Line In" being integrated into the Mic Input it is almost a given that it is a "Stereo" Jack as well.

Steve Deming, where are you when we need you??? Oh yes, you're in Nashville getting ready for NAMM. That's right. Or is it???

Best regards,
Mike

#165380 - 07/17/03 10:13 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Dnj Offline

Ok Ok Ok I'll be eagerly awaitng the Final Answer to the Mystery asap.....

#165381 - 07/18/03 05:13 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I never cease to be amazed at our ability to take a simple question and turn it into a war, and I've been reading this post with some amusement and now frustration so I feel obliged to throw my understanding of the situation into the frame.

My thoughts: Its a mono channel, unbalanced input, use a mono jackplug.

Heres why:

Mono/Stereo: I feel the answer to the question lies in the fact that the manual totally fails to suggest that the microphone input is anything other than a mono signal. Also harmonisers like mono input rather than stereo. Therefore it is mono, because Yamaha would not miss the opportunity to plug such a useful facility as a stereo input. If this was the case, you could use the 2k as a Submixer for a slave module and then not have to use a mixer at all!

The input to the PSR2000 must be unbalanced; again the lack of any mention to the contrary in the manual is adequate proof to me for the same reason, it's too useful a capability not to be mentioned. If the input jack on the 2k is shown to be stereo I vote for the opinion that the "ring" will either be grounded (which would be best) or left hanging. It may be cheaper/easier from a mass production viewpoint for Yamaha to use stereo sockets everywhere even for mono inputs and outputs.

ps. Tom Cav: You don't get many balanced microphone leads with stereo jacks on the end, because the XLR connector is SOOOOOO much more robust; but I have seen it when using budget / small mixers without room for XLR sockets.

#165382 - 07/18/03 07:22 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'll check it tonight and let you know for certain if it works with a stereo input. I have never tried it and don't believe it is stereo, but I will find out for certain.
DonM

#165383 - 07/18/03 07:37 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
John,

I agree. You can wire a 1/4 inch stereo jack and plug to use the wires from a balanced cable. The right number of connections are there. I've never seen it done but if you have I believe you.

I have seen a stereo microphone used for recording in an auditorium or hall type of location. In that case the L and R point in different directions. To use a stereo microphone for vocal use in an arranger would be useless and to no advantage. There is no L/R seperation from one singer.

I have checked the Monster Cable web site and also the site of some sellers of Monster Cable products and have found NO "Balanced" Monster "Stereo" Mic cables with 1/4 inch ends in their product line. I stand by my comment that Idatrod (Mike) was sold a bill of goods and probably paid through the nose for a product that offers him no advantage over lessor priced products.

Tom

#165384 - 07/18/03 11:57 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
trtjazz Offline

What I don't get is why eveyone that wants break music just doesn't load up a half dozen songs on floppy and just play them through their board and they will have their stereo out?......Or mix and splice six songs into one tune and play that through the song feature?

And for all of you that complain about carrying too much gear you can leave your little player at home and save the 3 seconds set up time and 10 ounces of weight. And if the floppy is too much to carry load the tune on the hard drive. I don't think the extra notes will add any weight to the keyboard either.....though I could be wrong. Maybe someone could weight their board before and after loading a song and tell us.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online