SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#165355 - 07/16/03 06:21 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
I must be missing something. Microphone cables are either balanced with three connector XLRs or unbalanced with 1/4 inch phone jacks.

Hello Tom,

Actually, they do make a balanced, 3-wire, 1/4 inch phono jack.

It's all in the wiring and the physical make-up of the jack/plug.

Sorry Donny...Can't answer your question....GeneralMusic owner here (I'm pretty sure GM's input jacks are stereo).

mike

#165356 - 07/16/03 06:25 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Dnj Offline

Mike, thanx awesome diagram ...I will get a definite answer somewhere soon I hope :>)

#165357 - 07/16/03 06:51 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
donny...
Stereo input devices can run thru the PSR2K one of two ways:
1. 1/4" Mic/line input set to line.
2. RCA jacks inputs.

Why the Stereo mic cable doesn't work still baffles me, as well as the folks at Monster.
Based on Mike's diagram I see no reason why it shouldn't work...but I tried it on two different boards and it will not take the mic signal.

Eddie

#165358 - 07/16/03 07:00 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
There's one way to check it out definitely. Connect some wires to a stereo jack plug, connect the sleeve to ground and inject a signal from an oscillator into the tip and ring connections and see what comes out. Or failing that, connect an unbalanced mic to tip and sleeve and another to ring and sleeve and see which one works. You could also try connecting a mic between ring and tip but I somehow don't think it will work. And if it works the way I think it does, it's no wonder the stereo mic cable doesn't work as the ring connector isn't going anywhere. You could solve it once and for all by getting the service manual. I get them from Yamaha Canada for $15Can and they come by return of Purolator.

Bryan

[This message has been edited by Pilot (edited 07-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Pilot (edited 07-16-2003).]

#165359 - 07/16/03 07:49 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
donny...
Stereo input devices can run thru the PSR2K one of two ways:
1. 1/4" Mic/line input set to line.
2. RCA jacks inputs.

Eddie

Eddie, the RCA connectors on the PSR2K are strictly "Output", ie, "Auxiliary Output". The only inputs on PSR2K are the Mic/Line In Jack and the 'Midi In' of course.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 07-16-2003).]

#165360 - 07/16/03 08:23 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Absolutely right Mike. I stand corrected.
Eddie

#165361 - 07/16/03 08:30 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Donny,

Got another image for ya....

Disregard the text that refers to insert cables. The key here is, "Can you feel two 'clicks' when you insert your mic cable?"

Can you insert your cable almost all the way in like the top illustration?

mike

#165362 - 07/16/03 08:35 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Donny - it's Mono. It's always gonna BE mono.

#165363 - 07/16/03 12:28 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
That is not necessarily so UD. If you have a Mic that is Mono then of course you will get a Mono signal from the Mic even though the Mic input may be Balanced. Mono in Mono out. But if you have a "Stereo" Mic and you plug it into a balanced Stereo Mic Input then you will get a Stereo signal out. The only requirement is that you have a "Stereo" Mic and a Balanced 'Stereo' Mic Input and of course at least 2 speakers. The only problem with that is that Stereo Mics can be very expensive although there are a few now on the market that are selling for under a Grand.

Also if you have the Balanced "Stereo" 'Line Input' you could, as I stated in my previous post, hook up an external device such as a Portable CD/MP3 player (with the various line adapters to go into a 1/4" Line input like the PSR2K has) and be able to play your CD's/MP3's, etc. through the PSR2K and it would be a Stereo signal as well. Plus I am almost certain you could then route that signal to either the Main Outputs on the PSR2K, to go to an External sound source or through the Aux Outputs to an external sound source as well and as long as you have at least 2 separate speakers (monitors, etc.) you run them to; or a single Keyboard Amp, etc., with 2 enclosed speakers and a 2 way Stereo Crossover you would get the Stereo signal also albeit it wouldn't be a very enhanced Stereo effect like you would get with 2 separate speakers (monitors, etc.) that could be placed several feet apart from each other.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 07-16-2003).]

#165364 - 07/16/03 01:30 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Dnj Offline

Oh Man .....Im so confused !~!!@!@@$##$$%^^&&**(*((* so whats the answer?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online